What You Think Would Be The Best Texts To Print On A T-shirt To Wear On The Thai Streets ?

ManilaLover

"ManilaLover" that is the basic idea. It should also be in Thai (for the ladies benefit - not yours). The "eyebrows" should be more "bushier" - and he should possible wear something red rather than blue - to make him look more like Mephistopheles (the devil).

I would be verrrry interested to have a T-shirt like this.

Edited by Parvis

How about:

"No, I don't want to buy a lighter, movie, wallet, laser pointer, watch, etc. Please leave me alone."

written in Thai on the back. I and several of my friends would buy them.

You can get on Samui.

Front English, back Thai.

Is this a match for the 'how to get a stall/space' for the market?

Anything you print that gets seen around town (is liked by locals) will be copied before your ink dries.

Best would be:

ฉันเป็น ATM การเดิน

กรุณาเข้าชมฉันฉันเขลา

กรุณาเตะตูด

ฉันรักคุณมากเกินไป

คุณดูเหมือนตูด

It is well used but "long live the King" would go a long way with the Local people. Our sense of humour is not the same as another cultures. Better to be safe.

คุณไม่จำเป็นต้องรักฉัน คุณสามารถมีเงินทั้งหมดของฉัน

ฉันเคยได้มีชายของหัวใจ และสมองของทารก

พ่อของฉันทำให้ฉัน มันเป็นความผิดใหญ่

You'll be rich........Good luck

How about:

"No, I don't want to buy a lighter, movie, wallet, laser pointer, watch, etc. Please leave me alone."

written in Thai on the back. I and several of my friends would buy them.

Please try that, it's from Arnie the terminator...

ฉันรักแม่ของฉัน

A genuinely handy phrase (in Thai) would be "Please speak to me in Thai". Or a variation:"Please in God's name speak to me in Thai".

I used to wear a Gap Store lapel that said in japanese "Please speak Japanese" when I lived in Japan, after I accidentally discovered this label underneath the actual stickers "I speak English" worn by the Gap staff.

A genuinely handy phrase (in Thai) would be "Please speak to me in Thai". Or a variation:"Please in God's name speak to me in Thai".

I used to wear a Gap Store lapel that said in japanese "Please speak Japanese" when I lived in Japan, after I accidentally discovered this label underneath the actual stickers "I speak English" worn by the Gap staff.

Huhuh.... don't you think a better one would be 'It's About Time You Gonna Learn English' in Thai noodle alphabet ?

After 14 years I stopped speaking Thai because I lost respect for them, only the friendly villagers still hear me speak Thai.

What about children's T-shirts that read something along the lines of: "Don't Touch Me, Farang dad with bad temper in tow" or "Your good luck in touching me will be outweighed by my farang dad's bad temper" - or something more direct!?

I have T-shirts made with the following text. I give the text in english, but all of them are printed in Thai.

Farang-Keenok (every Thai who commented on this one, was sure I did not know the meaning. My wife gets chided sometimes by Thai people who think she makes a joke with me. Not one Thai has explained to me what it means)

I am curious (Jakroo)

Talk to my face, not to my back.

Dog is a friend, not a toy

FAT (Pompoey), (printed on my tummy)

People talk, snakes gossip

I have also a few printed with a picture of a Buddha I saw in a wat with an enormous nose.

For my wife I have this one:

Danger! Gossip kills!

Next batch will have (in english and thai)

Save the village. Buy Local.

If the day comes they are all ironed at the same time, maybe I post a few pictures.

There is a site which has many different thai sayings which are commonly seen on bumper stickers affixed to cars.

Here is the site link; http://crcl.th.net/sticker/

Although I can't get the thai fonts to display properly, most can be read from the bumper sticker pictures.

I also believe that there was a T/V Language Forum thread which wrote them out in a more of a standardized thai font so they could be read easier; as well as provided more insight into their meanings.

Two shirts I've had good luck from are; 'Crazy but not stupid" (บ้า! แต่ว่าไม่โง่) and I've got laughs from it, as well as the thai proverb; "A handful of shit is better than a handful of fart" (กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด).

Due to the difficulty of translating directly from engrish into thai and retaining the meaning, most american engrish shirts with tongue in cheek inscriptions translate into jibberish here, and one needs only look at the meaningless engrish japanese and koreans will adorn their t-shirts with just to have something printed with engrish on it.

A person would do well to use colloquial thai with proverbs, idioms, etc that are known to everyone rather than make up a shirt that no one understands other than the wearer. A shirt loses a lot of shock value if you must take 5 minutes to explain the meaning.

As an example, I have a shirt that says, "This Ain't Kansas, Toto.."; which is what Dorothy says to her dog, Toto, in the old movie The Wizard of Oz after her house lands in Oz. The number of times I've had people ask me what "two-two" meant, made me stop wearing the shirt. Obviously it's an American specific idiom and doesn't play well to the rest of the engrish speaking countries populace.

Is this a match for the 'how to get a stall/space' for the market?

Anything you print that gets seen around town (is liked by locals) will be copied before your ink dries.

Best would be:

ฉันเป็น ATM การเดิน

กรุณาเข้าชมฉันฉันเขลา

กรุณาเตะตูด

ฉันรักคุณมากเกินไป

คุณดูเหมือนตูด

what about you translate for those of us who can't read Thai?

A red T-shirt with in yellow letters:

This is a yellow T-shirt

:)

...except most Thai wouldn't get it - never ever!

Including perhaps the dean of Thammasat!

Most can laugh for hours about one overweight katoey "smashes" the other ones had with a foam rubber mallet,

while it makes it's "tweet, tweet, tweet" noise...but this sort of humor is science to most, way too "complicated"!

Edited by Samuian