Buying Property As An Englishman With A Thai Wife

hi forum

as an englishman currently residing in the uk and having my wife living in thailand with my son, i want to buy property for them both to live in, i understand that only thais can own property there and its fine to be in my wifes name, however she is a housewife and has no income of her own, i support her in total, i'm looking for a bit of guidance as to what can be done to get a mortgage in her name if that is possible and how do we prove income as a family of which i have plenty.

Thanks for any guidance in advance.

Search out a fairly recent thread with a title something like "how much mortgage could you get" (this is not the title but similar) as I believe that touched on it. I think husbands were allowed by some banks to show their income to guarantee their wife's mortgage. There are also developers who cannot sell properties who are currently offering private financing over up to 10 years. Some in this week's Pattaya Mail (online as well).

The Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial Bank websites have details as to what is required for a mortgage. I suggest your wife and you talk about how much you want to borrow and how much deposit you can put down and then she goes to ask the bank whether it is possible to do this.

For a vehicle loan, I paid a figure of Bt60,000 into my partner's account each month, Bt40,000 of which was "saved" in another account at the same bank and this was accepted as income as she had been doing it for more than 6 months. You providing a similar stipend to your wife could provide her with a deposit and a clear history of "saving".