Catastrophic Health Insurance

david1

I know the cost of health care in Thailand is dirt cheap compared to the States. Needless to say I will self insure but is there good coverage available that would pick up the tab for anything over say 750,000 baht? Kind of like a large deductable before the insurer kicks in. Thanks!

I know the cost of health care in Thailand is dirt cheap compared to the States.  Needless to say  I will self insure but is there good coverage available that would pick up the tab for anything over say  750,000 baht?  Kind of like a large deductable before the insurer kicks in.  Thanks!

Although health care is cheap,good insurance is very expensive. I think I pay about ฿70,000 a year for full coverage.

I know the cost of health care in Thailand is dirt cheap compared to the States.   Needless to say  I will self insure but is there good coverage available that would pick up the tab for anything over say  750,000 baht?   Kind of like a large deductable before the insurer kicks in.   Thanks!

Although health care is cheap,good insurance is very expensive. I think I pay about ฿70,000 a year for full coverage.

Is that for one person? What is the limit of your coverage? Are Blue Cross and Blue Sheild any good in Thailand? Do you know if they have catastrophic type coverage where it only kicks in for major stuff? Thanks

That's coverage for myself, my wife, and our eight year old son. Limits are as follows|: out patient coverage- 1000 baht per day per person, not to exceed 30 days. In patient 3000 baht per day. Major medical covers surgeries, and and major diseases. Excludes HIV. This is coverage with Bupa Blue Cross. I chose the next to the hiest coverage available. They also include evacuation to your home country one million baht, and funeral expenses. This is my second year with them. I will evaluate after this year, and possibly drop the outpatient coverage.

That's coverage for myself, my wife, and our eight year old son. Limits are as follows|: out patient coverage- 1000 baht per day per person, not to exceed 30 days. In patient 3000 baht per day. Major medical covers surgeries, and and major diseases. Excludes HIV. This is coverage with Bupa Blue Cross. I chose the next to the hiest coverage available. They also include evacuation to your home country one million baht, and funeral expenses. This is my second year with them. I will evaluate after this year, and possibly drop the outpatient coverage.

Thanks for the info..

Thanks for the info..

BUPA do have a good deal as well so I'm informed.

I checked out quite a few companies in Thailand, and quite a few international companies, and Bupa seemed to be the best. Bangkok Pattaya hospital direct bills this company. Never had a problem. If you insure with them before you reach 61 years old, they will cover you for the rest of your life, where other companies cut you off at 65.

I checked out quite a few companies in Thailand, and quite a few international companies, and Bupa seemed to be the best. Bangkok Pattaya hospital direct bills this company. Never had a problem. If you insure with them before you reach 61 years old, they will cover you for the rest of your life, where other companies cut you off at 65.

I have Bupa Company Gold from my employer.

I went to the Bangkok Pattaya International due to a ongoing shoulder problem. When showed my card at reception, first was viewed with total ignorance,BUPA ?? next stop was told I would be given a receipt and would have to chase it myself as they did not have a BUPA office in Thailand ???? ( theres only a office with a big Bupa sign 50 m up Sukumphit)

Anyway called Uk office and said they would email claim form, which they never did. I didn't chase it anyway as most of the charges were outpatient medication . Next time I went I told told the doc that I didn't want a bagfull of the equivalent of overpriced pharmcetacal ( along with 2 other bags of pills) so he just replaced them with something else.

wife was an inpatient lastyear and bill was itemised to a bottle of water plus I had to sign an affidavit that I would pay the bill.

I would before getting insurance ask a lot of detailed questions of what they actually cover as seeing a GP/Speciallist is pretty cheap but its the add on's such as medication and 'room service' which ups the bill. :o

I have NSI because that was recommended by my agent. He told me NSI has more coverage for less money. Fortunately I have never had to test the insurance and hope it remains that way. The maximum payout per disability is 1.25 million baht. I have a rider/endorsement (?) that the agent said I should have. I have no coverage for outpatient care, drugs or dental. The yearly premium is 16.900 baht. I turned 60 this year so next year the premium is likely to go up some.

Took an health insurance last week, after few companies.

NSI Health Care seems to have the same kind of coverage as BUPA Blue Cross, but 30% cheaper.

health insurance is only good if the company honors your claims. I suggest people "test" their insurance now and then to see if they honor your claims.

a simple test would be to buy some drugs, and submit a claim for them. then, see how fast they reimburse you.

if the insurance company gives you a lot of headaches, dump them.