Bangkok's Biggest Bookstores

joorakee

To be honest, my knowledge is limited to Dokya near Siam Square and Kinokuniya at Siam Paragon (besides some small bookstores in the area of Khaosan Rd.).

I am going to buy some dictionaries (Thai↔English), Thai textbooks and Thailand-related literature.

Any ideas where to go (besides the places mentioned above)?

It sounds like Orchid Books, upstairs in the Silom Complex (next to Sala Daeng BTS) is what you need. The shop itself is fairly small compared to (for example) Kinukuniya, but it has a fantastic range of Thai dictionaries and literature. They also have a good range of non-fiction books about Thailand.

Although having said that, it depends on what type of Thai literature you are after - Orchid's Thai literature contains books by Thai authors that have been translated into English (ie actual literature in the literary sense), as well as non-fiction and academic books. It doesn't carry the trashy "sexpat" novels that you can pick up in the airport.

Edited by lectito

Large selection at the BOOK OUTLET on the 4th floor of AMARIN PLAZA, off the BTS walkway between Chit Lom and the Erawhan Shrine, same side.

Some very good deals, both new and used but very poorly organized; no alphabetical grouping.

If you are looking for dictionaries, I would suggest Benjawan Poomsan-Becker's "Thai-English/English-Thai Dictionary with Transliteration for Non-Thai Speakers". I think this is the best, especially when you are learning as the transliteration helps get you through until you can read Thai.

Amarin's book outlet, (a part of Asia books) is great if you have the time to search through it. You can often buy books by the kilo there. There used to be a teacher's resource bookstore in Siam Square, but I think they've moved up around Central Pahon-Yothin. Asia books and Kinokuniya can also order books for you, if you don't find what you need.

Thank you for all the answers. :)

If you are looking for dictionaries, I would suggest Benjawan Poomsan-Becker's "Thai-English/English-Thai Dictionary with Transliteration for Non-Thai Speakers". I think this is the best, especially when you are learning as the transliteration helps get you through until you can read Thai.

I have been using this dictionary for about 2 years and I must admit that I like it pretty much but now I am looking for a bigger one.

DK Books - B1 level of seacon Square is a large bookstore.

old hat-it was, yes, but closed some 6-7 years ago by now. Its now a giant office-supply stire. May I suggesty buying a newer guidebook of the LP-series?

The biggest-is 6 floors enough? is now on Satron-its called Book palace or Book tower or so-beside the Heathland massage house, near the BTS-stop.

You also did not specify for whome the dictionaries are intended for-Thai or farang/ The very bggest SCHOOL supply-all the Thai prescirbbed books for both prathom and matayom, is Suskawan Phanit (or so)-right beside the Democracy Monument, quite near Khao sarn road-only opens normal office hours, closed SUn.

They also stock all possible clothes and insignia for school-outings and the obligatory boy and girl-scout movements.