Any Architects/interior Designers Here?

Hey guys/girls,

I'm an interior designer currently in Chicago and an associate company of my firm has offered me a job in Bangkok, a city that I love. Unusually for the US (but seemingly normal for Thailand) they've asked me to state the salary I would like. Now, I have absolutely no idea what Bangkok salaries are for interior architects/designers (senior design role, 6 years experience with a fairly prestigious firm) - is there anyone here who knows what I should be asking for?

Any help would be really appreciated, as I really don't want to get this but wrong! They're an international firm working for decent corporate clients, not a local firm building smaller private residential units.

(btw, it's not a straight transfer, but a sister company, so I can't ask for a salary based on US standards).

Hi,

In my experience, most of the really good Interior Designers here work as freelancers, or own their own businesses and working on a single top-rate project could net them a huge fee.

I'm in the creative field here, but not interior design or architecture, but I can tell you that a good manager in an international company should not be earning less than 100,000 Baht per month. A more senior management position, say junior VP or assistant VP could be double that figure, so it would be interesting to see if you get any replies from people who are actually in the field.

Since the company is an international one, I'm sure they are well aware of what your salary would be at home so they may not be shocked if you were to put down something in that range. One thing which may influence the salary, is the nature of the position: If it is short-term, say a one-year contract, they would probably be okay with a slightly higher figure; but if it is a permanent or long term offer, then it would be a little lower. In any event, the salary which you name on your application will be the starting point of the negotiation process. You can mention that it is negotiable and then wait until you have a chance to interview or talk to a decision-maker, at which point they will name the figure which they are prepared to pay. Large international companies normally have a lot of lee-way in salary negotiation so, if you have a talent that they really want, you can certainly negotiate higher.

It would be useful to know what the ball-park is, so I hope that you get some responses from people in this field. At any rate, I wouldn't go much lower than 100K whatever happens. A decent condo near the skytrain route will set you back at least 25 - 40K per month in rental depending on what kind of luxuries you want and bear in mind that with a salary this high you will be paying 25-30% in tax so you will need all the rest for transport, food and entertainment.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you.

hi gubbins

i certainly would not go any lower than 15-20% of what i normally receive at home.

i also hope that you are getting much more than 100k baht....

also come into play, are you single, wife and children....????

expenditure will add up quickly.... if you have other with you....

wish you good luck and the very best of life....

Simple answer, current salary plus an up lift at 25-30%, plus housing, car etc etc allowances per a standard expat contract....one would assume they want you here... so dont sell yourself short....unless you a desperate to move to move to Thailand

So would ask this question....do they want you here as an expat or are are you pushing for a a job in Thailand...this determines what you want...

My suggestion...see as you are asking what to ask for, you dont know your value, or what the market related rates are..

Edited by Soutpeel

Thanks for the replies. To answer a couple of questions, I really fancy a move to Bangkok and they haven't headhunted me - I applied for the job from an internal advert. I understand through a bit a research that English teachers seem to get around 40-45k which seems like enough for student-type levels of living, which isn't quite enough for me at this point in life. 100k sounds quite livable. The thing is that I'm sure that there will be other people in the firm at the same position and I have no idea what their salaries are, and am also aware that there will be some discrepancy between an expat salary and that of a Thai who could well apply for the position.

I don't want my first response to be something ridiculous, but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks for the replies. To answer a couple of questions, I really fancy a move to Bangkok and they haven't headhunted me - I applied for the job from an internal advert. I understand through a bit a research that English teachers seem to get around 40-45k which seems like enough for student-type levels of living, which isn't quite enough for me at this point in life. 100k sounds quite livable. The thing is that I'm sure that there will be other people in the firm at the same position and I have no idea what their salaries are, and am also aware that there will be some discrepancy between an expat salary and that of a Thai who could well apply for the position.

I don't want my first response to be something ridiculous, but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

I quote...."Senior design role, 6 years experience with a fairly prestigious firm" and you are prepared to accept 100k/m...US$ 3000 in BKK for a professional type occupation and they will be taking tax off as well..... :)

In my opinion you should be asking for around 250k/m

It's a local position, not an expat deal. I doubt any employer is willing to pay US rates + 30% for anyone. More than locals yes if your coming from US but not full expat deals.

Soutpeel obviously is here with full package and good for him. But it does not mean other should insist the same. Maybe he sees you as a threat to his future :) The thing is though that more and more foreign companies are replacing expats with locals or transferring them under local contracts taking lot of the expat perks away.

Agree with him though that 100k is not much, you might soon find that keeping lifestyle you are used to is difficult with that. Unless you are single and in your twenties. I would assume locals get easy 100k for senior positions with US companies, even more in some cases.

And nothing wrong being honest and telling them your expectations based on US salaries with the note that you are willing to negotiate based on the actual job description and other contract terms. If it is pure local contract you need to factor local taxes, health insurance, retirement plans etc into the equation.

Unusually for the US (but seemingly normal for Thailand) they've asked me to state the salary I would like.

It's interesting that you find it unusual for the US, because in nearly every job I have applied for in the US, I was asked what salary I require/expect. I thought that was "normal." I feel your pain, though, I really hate answering that question, b/c you can screw yourself if you answer too high or too low. I can't really help you out, as I am a teacher and no nothing about salaries in other kinds of companies. Good luck!

Soutpeel obviously is here with full package and good for him. But it does not mean other should insist the same. Maybe he sees you as a threat to his future :)

:D:D ....no threat to my future in Thailand, I can assure you...if it ever went to rat-sh*t here, all it would mean is an addtional plane journey to get to my job, and carry on living in Thailand..... :D

The point I was trying to get at in stating 250k/m, you will be involved with negotiation, so have to go in reasonably high and neg back to what you want....If the OP's opening bid is 100k month, he will be negotiated down from that.. :D

Soutpeel obviously is here with full package and good for him. But it does not mean other should insist the same. Maybe he sees you as a threat to his future :)

:D:D ....no threat to my future in Thailand, I can assure you...if it ever went to rat-sh*t here, all it would mean is an addtional plane journey to get to my job, and carry on living in Thailand..... :D

The point I was trying to get at in stating 250k/m, you will be involved with negotiation, so have to go in reasonably high and neg back to what you want....If the OP's opening bid is 100k month, he will be negotiated down from that.. :D

:D I hear you mate. I've been commuting to work in neighbouring countries for good few years now. Just due the fact there has not been any proper job's around in my field. Was offered the option to "go local" few years back but at this point decent salary wins over working full time in Thailand.

And very true, what ever the request is there is nego following where it will go down in most cases. Never heard of it going up :D

I would assume locals get easy 100k for senior positions with US companies, even more in some cases.

..and I know a couple where that 100K is in dollars.

If one is worth the money nationality has little to do with it.

gubbins

you sound honest and straightforward, so i would take that approach.

simply ask them what they have in their budget.

weigh it out, maybe add a little to that, and if it makes you happy, do it.

its a great life experience living and working here, so money at your stage is not the end all. once you are here you can size up the way it works.

cheers

c

I would assume locals get easy 100k for senior positions with US companies, even more in some cases.

..and I know a couple where that 100K is in dollars.

If one is worth the money nationality has little to do with it.

And you are 100% right.

Senior position was probably wrong word here. Let's say many senior Thai engineers with BSc or Msc's are pulling 100k baht. Go to c-level and you are talking 100k usd and some even more, much more.

Then again i do know many thais getting the 100k in baht and totally not worth it expats pulling 100k usd for the same job :)

In my opinion, if you ask for less than you are making now, you lessen yourself in the eyes of the firm. On the other hand, if you ask for an old-time expat package including 25% hardship allowance, etc. you will be pricing yourself out of the job.

I'd ask for your present salary. Considering the fact that living in Thailand is much cheaper than Chicago I might, or might not, ask for some kind of living allowance. If you have children that you want to send to an international school you need to consider that also.

Since the company is an associate company I would suggest you go to you HR department. They will know the salary range for the grade you will be assigned and the usual package. You can then use the range and decide yourself where you are in the range talent wise.

The job: After you find out the salary and how much you can save. I would compare the amount you are saving now to that amount. Think how many years of employment inThiland and saving will equal your one year savings in the US. I can not imagine the adventure will be worth it.

Look at the contacts and relationships you will forgo over three years away. When it is time to come back it is not always easy to find an opening.

If you work for AECOM who I am very familar with, they take very good care of you. Overseas packages are great. I would be shocked if they would pay you as low as 100K/mo. But a down note on them when Dubai closed up many A&Es were not able to be absorbed in other locations.

Good luck

Worked out fine, within the figures you guys were mentioning, although nowhere near some of the higher level ones banded around here! Maybe for my next job...

Thanks for all the replies, it was really helpful.

Gubbins - I was wondering if you have any progress on your dilema?