Xbox 360 Red Lights

Richb2004v2

For the second time I recently got the 'red lights of death' on my Xbox 360. On Christmas day actually which was annoying. The last time I had this I took it to a shop and didn't see it again for two weeks. This time the guy in a different shop fixed it in less than an hour. He also upgraded the firmware/software and dashboard. He then recommended I install a 120 gig hard drive so to be able to download the games which might reduce the heat generated by the machine when running and lessen the chances of a recurrence of the red lights. I did this but was surprised when after installing the games I still need to put the disk in the drive. Is this right? Surely this means the drive is still in use. I expected to be able to run purely from the HD. Any ideas? Also is this likely to reduce the run temperature much. Plus I wonder if watching DVDs on the machine is likely to generate much heat and if so should I avoid it? A very good service anyway with the hard drive, repair and software upgrade in an hour for 3,500 baht.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow 3500 bath for a frimware upgrade and 120 hard drive!!

That's cheap i think you did a great job.

The newest firmware is Lt but only for lite on drives.

This firmware alouds you to play wave 4 games whit out using a activation disk .

But i have still an old firmware ,but i download the newest games by myself and patcg the wave 4 games to wave 3 .

Easy ,quick and no need activation disks.