Schoolgirl Pregnancies At An All-time High

webfact

Schoolgirl pregnancies at an alltime high

By The Nation

Published on January 16, 2010

The number of pregnant schoolgirls and university students sharply rose to about 10,000 last year.

In the past, the number had never risen beyond 5,000 in a year.

"We have to prevent such cases otherwise more social problems will arise," Social Development and Human Security Minister Issara Somchai said yesterday.

He was speaking at a conference on the enforcement of the Dormitory Act.

Issara said the new law might be drafted to prescribe harsher punishments against offending dormitory operators.

"Student dormitories must not allow boys and girls to share a room. Also, they must not sell alcoholic drinks," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I wonder if any of our illustrious members made a contribution to the reported figure.

I don't think 30-40+ year old "gals" dressed up like school girls count in the total. Ehm, not talking about myself of course.

:)

Edited by Heng

This is certainly not a new fad. It's been going on for yonks. The only difference is that in the western world, most people have more sense than to want an immediate family.

This is not only about safe sex, it's about common sense too.

What does Thai Culture say/teach about this?

It should be noted that many more Thai children are now staying on at school till M.6 and many more are now attending university. So, it is unsurprising, along with other factors, that there is a higher number reporting pregnancy.

In the helacious inner city school I attended pregnancies were common from about 13 up. The girls who had the kids faced an end to their education and life opportunites in most cases and being poor they didnt have much opportunity to start with.

I would think pregnancies going to conclusion in Thailand would similarly be in poorer areas with similar wrecking of life opportunity for the poor girl.

Numbers could double in a year...depending upon how the results were tabulated & even more interestingly, how the "powers that be" wanted the numbers to look like.

I believe nothing in Thailand.

This is the most sensible response to this thought out solution and supporting numerical figures. Doubt the quoted pregnancy figures have any factual long term background at all. I only question and equate this to my daughters school and the confirmed student pregnancy during the school term.

And it's the fault of boys allowed into girls dormitories and teenagers wearing sexy clothing, it's got nothing to do with the fact the sex education in schools here is still a taboo subject (and probably in the home as well).

How often do you meet a young girl working in a bar or massage shop because she now has an unplanned bambino to support.

I've only ever worked in High schools or Technical Colleges & in both cases, I have never known sex education to be a part of the curriculum.

Another way of looking at it is that maybe these are blind acts of rebellion. If the "culture" teaches anything about sex, it could be very limiting (rememberances of the Catholic Church etc). Then again, I know nothing about what Thai culture teaches about sex education.

@elkangorito "The only difference is that in the western world, most people have more sense"

The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world. The Center for Disease control says that one-third of girls get pregnant before the age of 20. Teenpregnancy.org, a site managed by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, states that there are "750,000 teen pregnancies annually. Eight in ten of these pregnancies are unintended and 81 percent are to unmarried teens."

The Public Health Agency of Canada states that 25 percent of young women who have intercourse without using a method of birth control will become pregnant within one month.

10.000 is peanuts with the figure above :)

@elkangorito "The only difference is that in the western world, most people have more sense"

The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world. The Center for Disease control says that one-third of girls get pregnant before the age of 20. Teenpregnancy.org, a site managed by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, states that there are "750,000 teen pregnancies annually. Eight in ten of these pregnancies are unintended and 81 percent are to unmarried teens."

The Public Health Agency of Canada states that 25 percent of young women who have intercourse without using a method of birth control will become pregnant within one month.

10.000 is peanuts with the figure above :)

Let's not forget that the USA has one of the poorest public education systems in the industrialised world.

Let's not also forget that in the "free" country of the USA, people are paid a pittance for lots of work, which is one of the main reasons I did not move there in the late 80's. In case you're wondering, I was offered a job there but it paid a pittance, thus I refused the job (thank god).

Back on topic, the USA has little to do with teenage pregnancies in Thailand...too many differences.

Numbers could double in a year...depending upon how the results were tabulated & even more interestingly, how the "powers that be" wanted the numbers to look like.

I believe nothing in Thailand.

I believe thats a good approach to take. Often what is reported and what is 'fact' are two entirely different things :)

There are two separate issues here. First is teens being sexually active and the second is pregnancy. Teens everywhere and throughout time have been sexually active at least to the degree that they have accessibility to objects of desire. Most every society has tried to curb these impulses, with varying degrees of unsuccess. Maybe some culture did, and as a result it failed to produce anything and died out.

Teen pregnancy is a different twist on this. Since kids will be sexually activie pretty much the first chance they get, then they need to have access to birth control, easily, effectively and without stigma. That includes more than just condoms.

Sex education is important, but it will do little to without access to the tools to prevent pregnancy and disease (which is a whole other issue).

One can only hope that the gay members of this forum could carry on with such sexual gusto & post relevant pics of people, without any discrimination whatsoever. However, most of us "educated" people realise that the posting of such pics is a joke & therefore not to be taken seriously. :)

EDIT:

And where does one get pics of Thai males in school/university uniform? I have no idea nor do I wish to source such drivel.

Edited by elkangorito

Any discussion of such delicates requires that there be a reliable reporting system in place. Due to political sensitivities in heavily Catholic nations such as Portugal, Poland etc. the numbers reported may not reflect the actual incidence. In other countries, such preganancies could lead to severe penalties including public stoning so there is no incentive to report the pregnancy. In some countries, contraceptives are made difficult to obtain (e.g. Eire).

Let's not forget that the USA has one of the poorest public education systems in the industrialised world.

Let's not also forget that in the "free" country of the USA, people are paid a pittance for lots of work, which is one of the main reasons I did not move there in the late 80's. In case you're wondering, I was offered a job there but it paid a pittance, thus I refused the job (thank god).

Back on topic, the USA has little to do with teenage pregnancies in Thailand...too many differences.

Thank you for sharing the results of your definitive comparative analysis of educational systems. While some school districts in the USA do have poor quality systems, overall, the quality of public education is no worse than other industrialised countries such as Romania, Portugal, France, Mexico, Columbia, Russia to name a few. Teen pregnancies have jumped in the western world. The social shame and the economic costs associated with teenage pregnancies has been reduced in many countries experiencing this problem. Some of this is also attributable to the limited access to contraceptives and abortion facilities available to these fornicators.

This is certainly not a new fad. It's been going on for yonks. The only difference is that in the western world, most people have more sense than to want an immediate family.

Are you having a laugh or what,the english young girls have plenty of sense,get pregnant a few times and they have a free house,money,nappies etc etc,and keep the 3 fathers in the house too,so they can provide the extra strong lager and drugs.

And it's the fault of boys allowed into girls dormitories and teenagers wearing sexy clothing, it's got nothing to do with the fact the sex education in schools here is still a taboo subject (and probably in the home as well).

How often do you meet a young girl working in a bar or massage shop because she now has an unplanned bambino to support.

TOTALY WRONG

maybe they work in the bar because father decides he doesnt want responsibility and the government dont care,so yai has to take care of the baby whilst the mother has to work.

Thai mans fault on this one,and if father had teken care then no bar girls

Do the mothers drop out of school forever?

Unfortunately they do. get pregnant and must leave before it shows. CNNOT Have them corrupting theschols morals can we.

These are very important government issues but until somebody comes in and isnt corrupt and for the real thai people,thenthis will continue.Money talks in this country and nobody is interested in young pregnant women who get abonded by the reckless boyfriend

That you shouldn't kill your kid before its been born; bad karma an all that. Like the Catholics except no problem with contraceptives. Think more education at the bigginning of the teenage years is needed. At least in this country many will have a strong familly support network and might be able to finnish thier studies.

Edited by mccw

TOTALY WRONG

maybe they work in the bar because father decides he doesnt want responsibility and the government dont care,so yai has to take care of the baby whilst the mother has to work.

Not just the Thai fathers fault but also the culture and Budhism which teaches people not to worry about the future who is going to "glove up" when they dont have to worry about any consequences ?

TOTALY WRONG

Not just the Thai fathers fault but also the culture and Budhism which teaches people not to worry about the future who is going to "glove up" when they dont have to worry about any consequences ?

I have to agree with you my friend.The drink/drug culture has something to do with it also