Locomotive Of Thai Passenger Train Catches Fire

george

Locomotive of passenger train catches fire

BURIRAM: -- The locomotive of the Ubon Ratchathani - Bangkok passenger train caught fire early Saturday.

The locomotive caught fire when it was approaching the Lampraimas district station in Buri Ram at 4 am.

Nobody was injured in the accident.

Officials took about 20 minutes to put out the fire.

A new locomotive was later deployed to pull the train with over 100 passengers to Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

accidents do happen and often are difficult are to predict and prevent, happens everywhere in the world, not only in thailand.

in the uk faires are 10 times more expensive than in thailand - the service is much better, but not justyfying 1000% difference

Edited by londonthai

Would you care for a fiddle to play on your soap-box ? Costs in another country cannot be considered for a laxidaisical approach to regular maintainance on Thai railways , this is Thailand and most passengers are Thai as are the maintainance crews .

It could have been lack of maintenance (buildup of oil on floor, an electrical fire, whatever. accidents can happen and usually do due to carelessness. As an ex-railroader, my guess it was lack of maintenance. I have seen engine fires on C.N. & C.P.R. units, so don't be too quick to blame "the Thais"

In most countries this would have not even made the news. Just an inconvenience for the poor passengers.

Edited by ratcatcher

Would you care for a fiddle to play on your soap-box ? Costs in another country cannot be considered for a laxidaisical approach to regular maintainance on Thai railways , this is Thailand and most passengers are Thai as are the maintainance crews .

and your point is?

As I understand it, the striking SRT staff have been replaced, (I saw a headline talking about how the SRT refuses to re-hire them), so it shouldn't be an issue of staff not doing their job. With the higher incidence of "accidents" over the months since the strike began, I wonder if the former SRT employees have any connection to this? Personally I have no idea, but it is something I've been thinking about when I see the news about these "accidents".

As I understand it, the striking SRT staff have been replaced, ... so it shouldn't be an issue of staff not doing their job. With the higher incidence of "accidents" over the months since the strike began

it's not an industrial sabotage, simply unexperienced stuff doing bad jobs and making mistakes - it's very difficult to sabotage a moving locomotive actually not being on her at the time of accident

'hegenious'

dumball' Would you care for a fiddle to play on your soap-box ? Costs in another country cannot be considered for a laxidaisical approach to regular maintainance on Thai railways , this is Thailand and most passengers are Thai as are the maintainance crews .

and your point is?

Self explanitory for those who understand English , using protectionism by citing other countries work ethics has nothing to do with what happens in thailand on its rail system , nor will standing on a soap-box do anything to get to the bottom of the incident that happened in Thailand on Thai transportation .

The fiddle was offered (British humour) so he would at least be giving entertainment (Of a sort) whilst standing on a soap-box .

• 2 weeks later...

Too much crap talked as usual. As an ex railway worker in Britain with many years experience I can tell you that Locomotive fires are a regular thing in most countries. They happen almost daily for a variety of reasons and only ever make 'news' for the general public when they are serious; such as the Channel Tunnel fire of a few years back. Loss of life is news but the loss of a Locomotive is not!

Too much crap talked as usual. As an ex railway worker in Britain with many years experience I can tell you that Locomotive fires are a regular thing in most countries. They happen almost daily for a variety of reasons and only ever make 'news' for the general public when they are serious; such as the Channel Tunnel fire of a few years back. Loss of life is news but the loss of a Locomotive is not!

What is the correlation between many years of UK railway experience and fires on locomotives in different countries? Just asking since the two don 't seem to be connected.

34014 Budleigh Salterton ???