How Much Should A Tonsillectomy Cost In Thailand ?

JimmyTheMook

Bunmungrad estimated the cost at approx. 90,000 baht - covering one night stay and all doctor fees and medicines

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital - came in at 75,000 all inclusive

Pattaya Memorial - 65,000 baht

Pattaya International - could not quote an estimated price

Queen Sirikit in Sattahip - same , was unable to quote a price for this procedure

Any ideas if the quoted costs seem reasonable for this type of procedure ?

I'm not sure what anyone can really say here, if those are the quotes you've received then that's what they are, if you want something less expensive perhaps try different hospitals, maybe try the Chiang Mai hospitals perhaps.

At CNX ( CMU hospital) I was told approximate price of 35-40K IPD.

30-35K for OPD case with 6 hour at recovery room off course.

I was thinking the cost should be more along these lines , one reason for making the post.

Right now seeing if my Thai Bupha Insurance will cover any of the fee , was told they need up to week to determine this.

It's going to depend on what TYPE of tonsil removal surgery you have done.

Bumrungrad does RF coblation. There's another place that does laser ablation. For an adult, either of these are much safer and have much faster recovery times than old-fashioned steel scalpel surgery, but the hospitals charge significantly more for them, not just to price-gouge but also because the equipment costs quite a lot. IIRC, I was quoted US$2500 to US$4000 for these procedures. (Ended up being told, after all the hassle, that what I needed was surgery for a deviated septum instead.)

I've heard similar figures- if you're in one of the posher private hospitals, 35-50K; if you're paying minimum rates and getting no-frills public hospital charges, it's 10-15K- that's for the scalpel method in both cases. However, I have heard of cases where at the lower rate a patient was in pain for a considerable time (like months) after the operation.