Looking For A Us Licensed Physician..

greg67

My company requires that I have a physical exam every 5 years. The hard part is that is has to be a US licensed physician, physician's assistant or RN. Does anyone know if there are any US licensed doctors/PAs/RNs practicing in Thailand? I would prefer a doctor who is affiliated with a hospital or a large clinic in order to complete all lab work and other tests.

Best to check with a hospital like Bumrungrad. Many physicians working here has also American accreditation. To my knowledge, there are no US (expat) RNs or physicians in practice in Thailand.

The hospital itself is US accredited and this may have to suffice.

Thanks for the info.. For those of you who may be interested I was able to locate US licensed physicians in BNH and Bangkok Mission Hospital.

Could you share the names and specialties of these Doctors. Thank You

Dr. Nick Walters at the Mission Hospital - Tropical Med, Family Med.

Dr. Henry Wide at BNH, I don't know his speciality.

• 1 year later...

Let me put in a VERY good word for Dr. Nick Walters at Bangkok Adventist Hospital/Mission Hospital in Bangkok...

I first went to see him late last year for a general/initial consultation, since I was in search of a reliable general personal doctor and was very pleased by that initial experience... And then I followed up this week with a visit for a minor malady that required some various tests there at the hospital.

On both occasions, I've found Dr. Nick (as he goes by) to be superb and everything I've been looking for in a doctor / but hadn't found in any of the Thai ones I've seen over the past couple years. What do I mean by that?

Very knowledgeable about tropical medicine and especially preventative medicine (two of his specialties), easy to talk with and not someone who's rushing you out the door, very willing to to clearly explain the medical details of things and pros and cons of different approaches, a good listener who takes heed of the symptoms and relevant history you can provide him, someone who's just as likely to order a test if he thinks it's needed as he is to tell you a particular test wouldn't really be helpful or useful in your particular situation, and, particularly in contrast to most local doctors, someone who's not prone to see prescribing various types and quantities of medicines as the end-all and be-all of available treatment methods.

If you look on the Internet, as I did when I first heard of him, you'll find other very good comments by U.S. ex military folks who use him as their service provider. It's also convenient that he currently has office hours every day but Saturday at Bangkok Adventist, which is located on Phitsanuloke Rd. in the Dusit area, a short taxi drive from either the Rachathewi or Phyathai BTS stations.

Here's a screen capture of his information on the Bangkok Adventist Hospital web page:

post-53787-0-35327900-1304596154_thumb.j

Lastly, the prices at Bangkok Adventist seem to be very reasonable, especially compared to the other private hospitals used by many farang around BKK. From my visit this week (the amounts being the ones billed to my insurance): 400 baht for the outpatient doctor consult, 680 baht for a two-views xray, 1,600 baht for a one region ultrasound, less than 200 baht each for a blood test and urinalysis.

Certainly, Bangkok Adventist doesn't have all the same exterior and facility decor and ambiance as the Bumrungrads and BNHs... But especially for outpatient care, in my opinion, what ultimately matters the most is the knowledge, care and good medical judgment of your treating doctor... And I'd give Dr. Nick top scores in those categories.

Edited by jfchandler

There is a Dr Donna ,I seemed to have lost her contact details . I think she is or was consulting at Bumrungrad and a international school.

Would this be the Dr. Donna [Maria Robinson] at Bumrungrad that you're thinking of??? She appears to be UK licensed as opposed to U.S. licensed... But interesting to see nonetheless... I've never heard or seen mention of her before...

post-53787-0-15785800-1304597564_thumb.j

Anyone have any experience with her?

Dr. Henry Wide at BNH, I don't know his speciality.

I remember looking up Dr. WILDE (with an "L") on the BNH web site some time back, and seeing that he only had very limited office hours and days at BNH at that time...

Today, when I go to the BNH web site, I find no listing for him there at all...

In a different thread a year or two ago, TV moderator Sheryl mentioned that Dr. Wilde also had hours at Bumrungrad... But when I look at Bummers web site and doctor directory today, once again, no listing at all for Dr. Wilde.

I wonder if he's retired or moved elsewhere???

PS - Now, I find an online medical journal on Asian Bio-Medicine, as of mid-2010, that lists Dr. Wilde as a co-editor, but doesn't list any Chula affiliation, and instead a Yahoo email address and the locations of Juneau AK and Thailand.

http://abm.digitaljournals.org/index.php/abm/abmeditorial

Edited by jfchandler

He may have retired by now.

TV member ThanyaburiMac may know.

Sheryl

I don't know, and thanks for reminding me, I've just sent him an email so see if/when he replies. He's really a nice guy!

Mac

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr Wilde is still here but busy with the Thai RC and work at Chula Univ Hosp. No more at the BNH except, perhaps, for a very few private patients. Per email exchange this morning.

Mac