Ages For Children In School

corkman

Hi All,

I am considering an assignment in Thailand. My child is 3yrs old in March and would be due to start "baby school" in spetember - which would consist of 3-4hrs a day, 5 days a week, learning the basics..... before formal education starts.

We will be in bkk some time, and we will be sending here to an international (UK) school. What is the normal for Expat kids in Bkk with regard to where and when to start schooling? The cost of my childrens education will be covered by my employer (included in my Expat package) - I don't want to take the p-i-$-$ but at the same time I want my little girl to have the proper standards in interantional education.

Any adice would be much apprecaited.

If your daughter is only going to be 3 when you arrive in Bangkok, I really think it's a personal preference. Schooling seems to be starting younger and younger these days, but I don't think she will be "behind" if she does not start school at age 3...assuming that she will continue to be in a stimulating environment at home. However, there are many preschools that do begin by the age of 3 if you decide you want her in school. It seems that most expat children who attend international schools begin by the age of 4. I work at an international school, and at least 90% of our expat kids have started by the age of 3 or 4. If you do want your daughter in school at the age of 3 or 4, don't feel bad for your company...that is very "normal" for expats.

And if I'm correct, most Thai kids start school at the age of 3 anyway, right? Anyone know?

If your daughter is only going to be 3 when you arrive in Bangkok, I really think it's a personal preference. Schooling seems to be starting younger and younger these days, but I don't think she will be "behind" if she does not start school at age 3...assuming that she will continue to be in a stimulating environment at home. However, there are many preschools that do begin by the age of 3 if you decide you want her in school. It seems that most expat children who attend international schools begin by the age of 4. I work at an international school, and at least 90% of our expat kids have started by the age of 3 or 4. If you do want your daughter in school at the age of 3 or 4, don't feel bad for your company...that is very "normal" for expats.

And if I'm correct, most Thai kids start school at the age of 3 anyway, right? Anyone know?

Thanks for the reply..... sounds pretty similar to here so......

You mention that you work at an international school - generally do international schools accept kids at my daughters age then? What should I "ask" for in my expat package to ensure we are covered for this pre-school phase? Is there anything I should watch out for?

At this point, there has been nothing formally agreed. I mentioned education and was told "not to worry" that something owuld be worked out to cover those expenses. I just want to be prepared for when they say "ok, we are offering xyz, is that acceptable?" ...... I would like to at least appear to know what I am talking about :)

Many thanks again for your input.

I can't speak for all international schools, but my accepts students for preschool starting at age 3. I believe that they have to turn 3 by September (or October??) of the school year, which begins in August.

Hopefully someone who has been in your situation will be able to give you some firsthand advice. But, these are the kinds of questions I'd want to be asking if it was my child:

1. Do I get to choose any school I'd like? (Make sure they don't want to choose a lesser school on your behalf just b/c it's cheaper.)

2. Do you pay a flat education stipend or will you cover the actual cost?

3. Which education costs are covered (tuition, but registration fees, uniforms, bus, etc.)?

4. Do you pay the school directly or reimburse me for my costs?

If you are a Brit and considering a school that has the National Curriculum of England and Wales then you only need to go to the school and ask about the EYFS. The school will know what you are on about.

At age 3 that would place her in Nursery Class. 1 step below the pre-primary Reception Class.

In Nursery she will be taught basic phonics..........single letters etc. They will move onto word formation later.

A lot of the students time is spent on constructive play activities.

They are generally fast asleep on the carpet by Midday.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I need to do some more research. We are coming from Ireland, however I think the british curriculum is the best option. As I am sure many of you can appreciate it is difficult trying to research everything - where to live, what schools to choose, what the expat package should include, and so on....... I am trying to get as much detailed information together as possible so can evaluate things as accurately as possible :)

Many thanks once again.