Thaksin In Do-or-die Plot

webfact

Maybe Thaksin wont do or die as per the plan and everything will just be stuck as it is now.

And that is exactly my view as well. He has, supposedly, been out of money for quite a while, but doesn't go away. Maybe he is being supported by others who do have money. After all, regardless of court decisions, Thaksin is still the man of choice to the people of the northeast.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always interested in the "sources" of the Nation. We all know that the management and owners of the Nation are not at all clean themselves. the fact that they were targeted by the Corruption authorities made them mad and unbiased. It is a very unprofessional newspaper.

Just like we would like to know who are paying for opinion polls, what the sample is, margin of errors and how they are conducted, the general public would love to know who the sources are.

If we wanted to hear gossip or hearsay we would not reading a newspaper but one of the pulp magazines.

Same as all newpapers the world over, add in all other media outlets, blogs etc. Some people kinda overate what a media source is. It is the mouthpiece of the owner to say anything they want. That is why they own it. There is no such thing as balanced journalism or ethics in media.

Best not to get too excited about it all though. Just undertand the nature of media especially in the belief based world we now live (if ever it was different)

So actually everytiome we read any newspaper we are listening to gossip and hearsay plus usually a few pictures. It is just a matter if we want to delude ourselves or not.

I would suggest if you want a newspaper that prints what you want then start or buy one like the red and yellow shirts did and the Nation owners, New York Times owners etc etc

I wouldnt overly rate anything that comes out of an academic source either as they usually have an assumption and then set out to prove it with "research" that makes an ABAC poll look wonderfully reliable

Welcome to the real world.

Do I detect a note of cynicism? :D  

I mean, there's journalism and there's journalism. :)

When I first read the Thai English language press I was aghast. I've long since become used to it but I still marvel at the magical ways in which stories - and they are tall stories - are created from nothing.

The major issue for me is that both the BP and the Nation assume too much upon themselves. They take a tiny factoid and write six paragraphs or often eight of freely roaming and wandering narrative prose in which they quote no one, cite nothing, opinionate and state one vaguery after another. Their narratives come out of the blue heavens rather than be rooted in facts or in quotes from named sources or even in quotes from the traditional and venerable unnamed sources, the latter being an institution of journalism.

While the BP habitually bloviates (a lotta ads create a large 'news hole' which needs filling), the Nation regularly offers fragments. Investigative reporting by either is non existent. Professionalism is a distant rumor. The writer is the story, take it or leave it. The newspaper is the story, leave it or take it. I didn't mind paying Bt 20 for either, but now I'd rather take the dog outside.

Any newspaper has attitude, and the attitude of the older BP is boringly that of establishment elites, pedestrian, while the attitude at the upstart Nation always has been that of the 'in your face' chippy and rambunctious attention getter kid.

Still, private ownership of mass media does have one constant to it. An icon of US journalism, the writist A. J. Leibling (1904-1963) famously wrote that "Freedom of the press belongs to those who own it." It was the last column he wrote for the New York Times because they fired him. So he took his writing to the New Yorker zine where they were happy to have him and where he made his reputation. 

As for the BP or the Nation, six of one, a half dozen of the other. However, I choose the one that keeps Thaksin on the stovetop.  

^ Scroll up to the logo, which now reads The Nation Thai Visa Forum

Announcement

Regards

/edit add link//

:) Thanks for the link; I missed that announcement ideed.

Sad to conclude, for quite some time already, that ThaiVisa is almost exclusively publishing news from The Nation, a rather biased news source to put it mildly. :D

I miss the previous "Old" ThaiVisa were news from many sources was published.

Where's the independent ThaiVisa it once was? :D

LaoPo

Post 'fair usage' of anything you want other than the Bangkok Post.

Is that done and factual in the news section? But, I think you know what I meant Jdinasia, don't you?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

A "do or die" plot implies it is a ONE TIME thing. You either do, or you die. This must be at least the fifth Thaksin final last ditch effort, do or die. What is he, a man or a cat with nine lives? I think that's part of his problem at this stage where he is clearly fading, the boy who cried wolf too many times syndrome.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you.

I wasn't even thinking about you :D

Mirror Mirror on the Wall........ :)

LaoPo

Announcement

Regards

/edit add link//

Sad to conclude, for quite some time already, that ThaiVisa is almost exclusively publishing news from The Nation, a rather biased news source to put it mildly. :D

LaoPo

Independent freedom of speech at TV is as strong if not stronger than I've seen it since I began reading TV in 1999. There are competing and clashing viewpoints here each day, 24/7. The fact constitutes the classic Western liberal idea and philosophy pertaining to John Stuart Mills marketplace of ideas. 

As with any forum TV has been banning or suspending members since it began, but never for substantive content or pov. There are rules at TV, rules which comply with the laws of the Kingdom of Thailand and which comport to a certain decorum of posts and patterns of posts. The rules are clear to me and to many others as only an infintesmal  percentage of TV members have been evicted from the premises out of how many tens and tens of thousands of TV Forum members over how many years?

Get out of your skewed ideas about TVF and recognize the facts and realities that the TV Forum consistently and without interruption hosts and welcomes clashing viewpoints and contrasting, varying points of view.  

Have you ever seen a thread with only responses consisting of one point of view? No, never. We hash it out all of the time. What's a forum if everyone is only wanking everyone else? This is not the PRC. 

Thank you.

I wasn't even thinking about you

Can't imagine who else. No one posted more news from a greater variety of sources. No one. Not even close.

Again: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...... :)

....sitting on hot coal I suppose; your list is getting longer and longer...you know the list next to your desk; it must be a H_ll of a job to keep track.

Find another hobby maybe? :D

LaoPo

Independent freedom of speech at TV is as strong if not stronger than I've seen it since I began reading TV in 1999.

You have an amazing memory indeed Mr. Publicus, for a member who joined TV in 2007! Chapeau!

You started reading TV three years before it was even launched and became a member only after eight years...

Truly amazing.

"The ThaiVisa Expat Forum launched in 2002"

LaoPo

Of course we get a Nation article, they are a partner of TFV.

:D Did I miss the news about that? What does that partnership contain? :)

Please elaborate.

LaoPo

If you look up at the TVF Masthead logo you see

NATION,

now above TVF, it's been there for several months.

17_logo4.jpg

Announcement

Regards

/edit add link//

LaoPo

Kindly, for the enlightenment of all, provide us with your recollections and accounting of the "independence of ThaiVisa it once was," if you don't mind, thanks. Your statement clearly claims that ThaiVisa no longer is "independent". Do your say ThaiVisa is subjugated in hoc to someone or some organization or institution? (In hoc/signo vinces or in plain English 'in this sign you shall be conquered'.)

So how has ThaiVisa been conquered and by whom to have lost its once vaunted independence you so greatly credit for once having but having no longer? 

The fact is the Forum always has been open to varying and various opinions and points of view, to include those of all sides of the present and ongoing tumult and turmoil. One cannot credibly deny that, as you plainly do. State your case, specifically and exactly.  

Kindly, for the enlightenment of all, provide us with your recollections and accounting of the "independence of ThaiVisa it once was," if you don't mind, thanks.

There was a time* that News Clippings was not, for 95%+, dominated by news articles from just one source: The Nation.

Being from a rather democratic country I consider that as being not entirely (to put it mildly) independent.

* the time I'm speaking about spreads throughout the largest period of being a member, 5 years and three months to be exact.

But the real time I'm reading ThaiVisa is since February 9th, 2004 when I was welcomed on the mailing list: 6 years ago.

I hope that answers your question.

LaoPo

Does he lead a de facto government?

Did he "trade" the temple (Preah Vihear) for Oil concessions?

How desperate is this man?

Is he or isn't he going for "all out"?

or is he taking just early retirement golf holidays in Dubai,

visiting friends from time to time and does his best the country of

his former premier ship is doing really well?

Edited by Samuian