So Long Cowboy...

The Gentleman Scamp

Apparently Thaksin doesn't like Soi Cowboy so it will be demolished next year to make condominiums.

Soi Cowboy is not my scene, but it's an integral part of Sukhumvit and much better than Patpong in my opinion, perfect for a lads night out.

So what next?

I hear Kaosan Rd is also turning it's back on the packers and going upmarket.

Again, not my scene but it's where many of us first arrived in the 'good old days' and it's still arguably the best place to buy Cd's.

Nana has already had a makeover and-oh I give up. :o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although no longer live in BK I can remember sitting in some of the bars there with a Dropped Jaw when I first came to LOS, but like everything the novelty soon wares off. As you say Scamp perfect for a lads night out, where could you go in the UK and have such memorable nights (in my case could'nt remember much) for the price?

Apparently Thaksin doesn't like Soi Cowboy so it will be demolished next year to make condominiums.

What is your news source, Scampy?

The bloke I was chatting to on Jack's Golf bus today on the way back from Poipet. :o

:D:D

I bet he told you they were buiding a new airport too :D

Even if he did hear it from someone away from the media, If this is true. I'm actually happy about it. I mean you have people coming to these area's for the wrong reason's. And I'm not talikng about picking up girls. I know many ex-pats might not like it but this is all about money anyway.

Money always talks.

Maybe people are fianlly tired about these places and want something to change no big loss in my eyes.

Even if he did hear it from someone away from the media,  If  this is true.  I'm actually happy about it.  I mean you have people  coming to these area's for the wrong reason's.  And I'm not talikng about picking up girls.  I know many ex-pats might not like it  but  this is all about money anyway.

Money always  talks.

Maybe people are fianlly tired about these places and want something  to change  no big loss in my  eyes.

So if thou, oh such whiter than white has NEVER BEEN THERE how come you are the one that is saying it's closure would be a good thing? I mean how would you KNOW??

You are right about one thing though "Money always talks"- which is the understatement of the century. Money talks everywhere matey.

Even if he did hear it from someone away from the media,  If  this is true.  I'm actually happy about it.   I mean you have people  coming to these area's for the wrong reason's.   And I'm not talikng about picking up girls.   I know many ex-pats might not like it  but   this is all about money anyway.

Money always  talks.

Maybe people are fianlly tired about these places and want something  to change  no big loss in my  eyes.

So if thou, oh such whiter than white has NEVER BEEN THERE how come you are the one that is saying it's closure would be a good thing? I mean how would you KNOW??

You are right about one thing though "Money always talks"- which is the understatement of the century. Money talks everywhere matey.

True money talks everywhere :D and how do u know that I have never been there?? :o I have visited the place many years ago back in 1995 and 1996 It didn't do much for me. I go to Thailand to see Thailand not to fly thousands of miles to go to bars. Even you have to accept that there is more to Thailand than Soi Cowboy.

Well I have also spoken to many Thai people and they don't like these areas but they accept that these places exist. Even if Soi cowboy goes the way of the Dinosaur, Something else will pop up in another area. True??

.......I  have visited the place many years ago back in 1995 and  1996  It didn't do much for me.    I go to  Thailand to see Thailand not to fly thousands of miles to  go to  bars....

:D

Scampy, if you weren't so well known on this board, I'd have called you a Troll with that "news" :D

He might have been in a real gullible frame of mind that day. :o

Maybe his bus mate had some of that "magic potion" that's going around. Put's you into some kind of hypnotic state where you will do or believe anything....? Ok, could've just been the alcohol too. :D

Even if he did hear it from someone away from the media,  If  this is true.  I'm actually happy about it.   I mean you have people  coming to these area's for the wrong reason's.   And I'm not talikng about picking up girls.   I know many ex-pats might not like it  but   this is all about money anyway.

Money always  talks.

True money talks everywhere :D and how do u know that I have never been there?? :D I have visited the place many years ago back in 1995 and 1996 It didn't do much for me. I go to Thailand to see Thailand not to fly thousands of miles to go to bars. Even you have to accept that there is more to Thailand than Soi Cowboy.

Well I have also spoken to many Thai people and they don't like these areas but they accept that these places exist. Even if Soi cowboy goes the way of the Dinosaur, Something else will pop up in another area. True??

Ah so you HAVE BEEN then, what did you do , skulk about with a frown clutching a flat Coke while all your mates had a great time?

Places like Cowboy are an institution in BK like it or not, which is one of the reasons they sent a film crew half way round the world to shoot a scene for the last Bridgette Jones Dairy films. If You Dont like it don't go.

Have a nice day Sir :o

Maybe people are fianlly tired about these places and want something to change no big loss in my eyes

soi cowboy is one of the most characterful streets in bangkok , rather than demolish it they should put a preservation order on it.

its a long double row of 4-storey 1950's shophouses and the street is relatively traffic free. it comes to neon - lit life at night and draws hundreds of tourists.

nobody could be offended by the cheerful atmosphere there , you can sit inside the bars if you are there on a mission or you can sit outside if you want to watch the finest free show in thailand as the girls , the foodsellers , the clothes sellers , the watch and gift sellers , the moneylenders and flowersellers work the street.

the constant procession of falangs is an eyeopener in itself , the old codgers , the married expats in their office clothes , the lovestruck english teachers , the chest wig charlies on their harleys looking oh so stupid , the dorks and nerds looking to lose their virginity , mr. cool loverman with the industrial strength aftershave and the "hugely succesful" sweat drenched brits screaming into their mobile phones in the middle of the street , all human life is there and even life that aint human... (the rats and xxl cockroaches that scamper around)

the cackling old crones selling disgusting esaarn food , the insects , the brown muck , those horrible little fish , and last but not least the girls , tottering about in 9 inch heels and miniskirts , laughing and swearing and shouting , off to the hot sheet hotel at the end of the street to earn a few baht with a grinning punter on her arm.

theres nothing to touch it anywhere.

its hardly changed in 20 years.

its a circus

its a freak show

its better than television

its an education.

it IS the real thailand.

preserve it.

Maybe people are fianlly tired about these places and want something to change no big loss in my eyes

its hardly changed in 20 years.

its a circus

its a freak show

its better than television

its an education.

it IS the real thailand.

preserve it.

Most of the faces have changed - in fact, everyone of the "original" establishments have long-since changed hands and names but it's definitely an important historical landmark in Bangkok. :o

I love Bangkok's raffish charm, but Cowboy is a downright eyesore.

Somewhat contradictory remark.

Its a self contained Soi and I really don't get the eyesore remark.

For me its full of eyeball pleasers!

We have 3 main entertainment areas here, PP, Nana & Cowboy and Cowboy has always been considered the safest of the 3 places, hence more expats go there than the other two.

Soi Cowboy ‘live on’ forever!