So Long Cowboy...

The Gentleman Scamp

It would hardly be a shock if they tore it all down would it?

It would be a serious shock for Thong Lo police station!

Tearing that down would do even more to get rid of crime and improve the tone of the neighbourhood...

I don't think Police want to get rid of criminals the other mac, who would pay them then? :o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word we learned to start every sentence with when talking about subjects like this in Thaialand:

APPARENTLY

This free's Scamp from all responsibility and critisisim from the remark.

He neither said he belived it or tried to pass on bum information.

'Apparently' could translate as 'unreliable sources say'.

:o

I had missed this earlier when I posted my last reply from that new internet place in that new Nana Square.

Very well said Med. :D

perhaps the title confused them scamp? ermm.gif

or maybe it was just the fact that everybody loves a bit of the occaisional scampy bashing.

I should have put a question mark at the end of the title I suppose.

As for your latter comment, it's very true isn't it... Sad but true. :D:D

It'll never happen.  What are the owners going to do?    Sell their properties to one owner at inflated prices so that the new owner can bulldoze the whole soi in the middle of the night with absolutely no loss of life but total loss of property?

:D

C'mon Heng, a certain politician massaged that so the 'common people' could all get a lovely park! :D (looking over the fence the other day, absolutely no progress thus far tho...maybe next election) :D

Also, what will become of the inner sanctum of Washington Square? That's also absolute PRIME real estate (not rumour mongering, jest wondering;)

Cowboy? Expiry date predictions anyone?

Basically, the time's they are a changin', just depends if one chooses to acknowledge it or not. Forgive this poor analogy - I was on a flight recently in an older aircraft. They still had ashtrays on each armrest (looked so strange!) but of course, there's no smoking permitted. Sorta like where expat orientated sex tourism areas in Bkk are nearing at present and where they're ultimately heading.

A few years from now some may be thinking about the 'good ol days' on Cowboy etc in a whole new 'light' - similar to thinking about lighting up on an airline today. Of course, there'll still be some hardcore hold outs who refuse to accept inevitable changes. But like it or not...

Just musing. Please observe the 'no flaming' sign... :o

The ultimate goal is no doubt to do what was done to Manila - now its nearly all in Angeles - Bangkok will gradually be more strctly controlled and closed a bit at a time Pattaya and Phuket will be allowed to flourish in the main away from the eyes of foreign busniess vistors and non sex tourists who do not visit either. Thus the perception is reduced.

The ultimate goal is no doubt to do what was done to Manila - now its nearly all in Angeles - Bangkok will gradually be more strctly controlled and closed a bit at a time Pattaya and Phuket will be allowed to flourish in the main away from the eyes of foreign busniess vistors and non sex tourists who do not visit either. Thus the perception is reduced.

Hmmm, not sure about Phukers, too many million $$ homes being built and the target market is increasingly married Uk retirees or just plain wealthy couples who don't like Costa Lotta Spain anymore. Certainly Bangers is in cleansing mode but Patters the surrogate Angeles? Hmmmm...dunno Alex. Best toss that one around in the Pattaya forum. Me do it? naaa

Scamp, wassup with the salmon avatar - looks like you're going upstream to mate? Anyways, I think your topic was relevant, judging by the interest. :o

Exactly;

I was informed that some of the bars there actually owned the land they are sitting on.

That was a few years ago, but I can't see wy that would change, therefore hard to bulldoze someone's freehold land and build a hotel on it.

C'mon Heng, a certain politician massaged that so the 'common people' could all get a lovely park! :D  (looking over the fence the other day, absolutely no progress thus far tho...maybe next election)  :D

Looking over the fence the other day, I saw plenty of "common people" lounging around (yes, amidst piles of rubble and scrap metal).... but they even had a tokraw net set up and several were playing. There, promise kept. One day (in a few years perhaps), we'll have these "common people" vote on what they want to do with their park. If they happen to vote for "high rise condo/shopping complex" then so be it.

:o

Well I have also spoken to many  Thai people and they don't like these areas but they  accept that these  places exist.  Even  if Soi  cowboy goes the way of the Dinosaur,  Something else  will pop up in another area.  True??

Yes, Thais have long had a difficult time with Farangs being seen in public engaging in leisure time pursuits whilst they prefer to engage in the exact same persuits behind nameless establishments spead throughout the Kingdom. The Farangs visiting the Kingdom's capital city have perhaps three concentrated areas designated for their drinking and fornicating activities while the Thai can find such amusements just about anywhere and with far more variety. Those Thais who complain the loudest often don't even bother with commercial establishments but simply put up a (very) young lass or two in an apartment as mia nois.

Apparently nobody reads through the posts to see that Scamp was blowing smoke where the sun don't shine. The debate continues...

I think they should consider putting in Starbuck's on each end and one about halfway down. Coffee's gonna keep on selling, but I think condos have just about reached the celing as far as price and supply go...the bubble nearing its bursting point when I can get the same size condo in the states for not too much more than they are selling for here.

It would take 20 yrs to fill the amount of condo space that could fix on top of cowboy.

Cowboy? Expiry date predictions anyone?

May 2006

Well, I will have a bet with you on that one pal.

Those behind the new to be opened ‘Dejavu’ bar and the zillions being spent on the deal certainly know more than most of us here on TV.com, therefore, I will say Cowboy will be here for many more years.

Comparing what happened to Soi 10 and the Asoke beer bars is nonsense. Those bars had either no leases or sub, subbed leases and were on the whole fairly Mickey Mouse run businesses. The Cowboy business owners are very seasoned operators. :D

And BTW, APPARENTLY this rumor comes around on average every 2 years! :o

Edited by HarryHacker

Interesting to see some of the responses on my hypothesis, and the ones who have replied with their opinions on their views on SC are the ones I wanted.

I'm surprised at just how many members failed to see the opening word on my first post... APPARENTLY.

Was that not a clear enough indication that this was merely hearsay off some bloke I had chated to which prompted and inspired the post in the first place to get peoples view on the situation were it ever to be true?

A hypothesis is an assumption, something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation, why am I telling you this when you already know.

To the first flamer: Read future posts clearly.

To the other flamers: Same as above only don't jump on the bandwaggon, especially that of The Eye Of sodding Sauron - I've had better wit from the flamers in the Thong Lor Burger King. :o

:D:D:D

Bar girls are like a stream; they flow with the path of least resistance. They will find a new home, so don't worry gents. I love Cowboy too, but I don't get flustered. People want to pay for a f### and they will find a comfortable place to find it. It could be tomorrow or next year, but it will happen. Another den will take its place because, 'sex sells.'

Oh dear, have I strayed into 'Barladies.com' territory?

Bar girls are like a stream; they flow with the path of least resistance. They will find a new home, so don't worry gents. I love Cowboy too, but I don't get flustered. People want to pay for a f### and they will find a comfortable place to find it. It could be tomorrow or next year, but it will happen. Another den will take its place because, 'sex sells.'

Oh dear, have I strayed into 'Barladies.com' territory?

You're just a phrophet :o