System Idle Process, Cpu Usage 46%

kandahar

Need some answers if anyone knows them. My laptop seems to come to a standstill, often. After a minute or two, it appears to be doing okay and then slows again a few minutes later. I spending way too much time waiting on this thing these days.

I bring up the windows task manager to see if I see anything running that is taking up too much of the processors time and energy (I think). The system idle process runs in the high 70's and 80's, constantly, and CPU usage shows average of about 35 to 40 but spikes a lot higher sometimes.

Nothing running here except a browser ( usually Chrome but sometimes I switch to IE to see if it gets better---not). No scans running, nor anything else that I can see. Any ideas or things I should be looking for?

I don't know much about it and I don't wish to be an alarmist but my gut tells me someone else is in there spying or hacking... that is the sense I had with windows previously. Got rid of windows some time back... running macs now and linux on the netbook. What kind of defense programs are you using?

You could be thrashing memory. Check your virtual memory setting and make sure the system is handling (best for MOST people). Also, I once had the problem with illegal OS and paid that penalty until I made it legal. Oh, and check disk space. If you're almost out you need to clean up or you'll never get anywhere. Cheers.

The system idle process runs in the high 70's and 80's, constantly, and CPU usage shows average of about 35 to 40 but spikes a lot higher sometimes.

It's perfectly normal to have the system idle process at 99% when your computer is not being used. CPU usage on the other hand, should always be at 0% when your computer is in an idle state. CPU usage of 35-40% can be caused by anything from web browsing to malware infestation... To be on the safe side, perform a malware scan on your computer.

You might also want to download Process Explorer. This handy utility is similar to Windows Task Manager but offers a lot more functionlity. PE = Task Manager "on steroids" so to speak...

Edited by Supernova

Thanks for the replies.

filingaccount, I'll try to find how to turn off Google update and see if it helps.

FM505, I too think it seems as if someone else is in this thing. The only commercial virus protection I have is McAfee and it is always on, updates every day and I ran a scan last night, found nothing.

bankruatsteve, I'll try to figure out the virtual memory settings but have no idea to how to see if it is "handling". Sorry. I'm just not a computer guy. I have lots of disk space left. I clean up often. The system and everything else is legal.

Supernova, if 35-40 is okay for browsing, then I won't fret about that. It must be the spiking that is causing the thing to slow and I will download the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and see what it finds. I'll also download Process Explorer to try to get a better idea of what is happening.

Thanks again to all.

Edited by kandahar

Okay. I took the easiest step (for me) first and downloaded the malware detector and ran it. It found these three files infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\wiaserva.log (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\wpv131256100374.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\oashdihasidhasuidhiasdhiashdiuasdhasd (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Thanks. I REALLY appreciate the constructive replies to my quandary

I'll just watch this thing for a day or two and see if that fixed it and if not, I'll go after the virtual memory and such. I have some reading to do before I mess with those items because I don't know how to do them.

As much as I thought McAfee was on top of things, I guess it isn't, even though it does catch a lot. I'll keep the free-ware program and run it periodically.

Here's one thing I'll just throw out there. I haven't had any trouble until I clicked on a link in the TV forum and downloaded a wmv.avi file that was posted two days ago. It was the "how they open your suitcase" link. Since that night, this computer has been slow. But I'm not sure that the link was responsible. It is still posted out there. Is it possible to have an infection inside a wav.avi. file? If so, I won't be clicking on any more wmv.avi. links

Just ran the malware program on the wife's laptop. 30 files infected and now repaired. The NOD32 virus protection that she runs tried to stop the malware detection program but I by-passed it. So maybe her laptop will be a little quicker now, too.