Where To Go In Chiangmai ?

clinique

Depends what they are looking for. For gay things, suggest you look at this website: www.gayinchiangmai.com It has a great google map showing where everything remotely gay is located.

Quick suggestions of good places (in my opinion):

• Accomodation: PJs Place, Lotus Hotel (The gay one as there are two in CM)
  • Eating: La-vie-en Rose, Sabbai Dee Santitham
  • Drinking: Soho Bar, Metro Bar or Garden bar (At Lotus Hotel)
  • Dancing: Mandalay
  • Massage: BBeez, One 2 Come
  • Karaoke: Barrocco, Club-M
  • Go-Go: Adam's Apple or Free Guy

Thanks for the tips.

Are the karaoke you quote gay-only places ? And is it possible to "off" the staff ?

If yes, where are they located ?

From forum rules. "18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution. Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation."

Thanks for the tips.

Are the karaoke you quote gay-only places ? And is it possible to "off" the staff ?

If yes, where are they located ?

Yes they are gay, you'll probably find location information on the website I mentioned above. Their map seems to cover most places in CM. As per PB's post I'll have to "no comment" your other question :) There are a couple of other Gay Karaokes in town too.

One other place worth mentioning, for those who like the more sophisticated scene, is "Darling Winebar" (on Huay Kaew Road near Rincome intersection - next to the market). This smart place has just reverted to gay ownership and is a promising new venue for the gay ex-pat crowd. Close to PJs, Soho and La-vie-en-rose should make an interesting alternative with a great selection of wines.

Depends what they are looking for. For gay things, suggest you look at this website: www.gayinchiangmai.com It has a great google map showing where everything remotely gay is located.

Quick suggestions of good places (in my opinion):

P.J.s place is certainly the quality place for a gay person in Chiang Mai hands down. P.J.s is the more friendly with better food and service than the Lotus and very clean. Also a better value for the money. :)

They can go anywhere in Chiang Mai and find people of their own sort. CM is absolutely stuffed/packed to the gills/choc a bloc with gays. Everywhere you go there are gay men and lesbian couples. Anywhere near Nimmanhamen, anywhere near CMU campus, anywhere near the river, anywhere near Chaing Puek road (obviously centering on the gay cabaret there). It's lucky your friends aren't straight as then they would have a bit of a problem, because there are very few non-gay people here. I am one of the few ones left, and when I leave there'll be almost none to breed with and so the population willinevitably go into decline. I predict there will be no breeding going on here within 5 years, at present rates of gay takeover.

I predict there will be no breeding going on here within 5 years, at present rates of gay takeover.

No worries, mate. Don't get your unfashionable knickers in a twist about it. With our lesbians and our turkey basters we've got that minor detail covered. Next ...

They can go anywhere in Chiang Mai and find people of their own sort. CM is absolutely stuffed/packed to the gills/choc a bloc with gays. Everywhere you go there are gay men and lesbian couples. Anywhere near Nimmanhamen, anywhere near CMU campus, anywhere near the river, anywhere near Chaing Puek road (obviously centering on the gay cabaret there).

Absolutely darling, that's why we love living here :D:D

It's lucky your friends aren't straight as then they would have a bit of a problem, because there are very few non-gay people here. I am one of the few ones left, and when I leave there'll be almost none to breed with and so the population willinevitably go into decline. I predict there will be no breeding going on here within 5 years, at present rates of gay takeover.

Shhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. What' I'm going to tell you is strictly top secret. It's a cunning plot by the Burmese to take back the old Lanna Kingdom by stealth........

For years now young footsoldiers from the Shan State have been sneaking across the border to infiltrate gay life in Chiang Mai. They pretend to be gay and use their handsome looks and manly bodies to seduce thousands of the local Thai guys and convince them life can be so much more fun without a hetrosexual wife. Instant end to procreation, exactly like you describe it.

But, here's the clever bit, these Shan guys are all double agents, when they've finished their work for the night they sneak home to their girlfirends and fornicate like rabbits. It won't be long now before the resident Shan population outnumber the locals...... then they will make their move :) .

Edited by Paagai

Not so fast to criticize... the actuarial tables for any group settled in Chiang Mai and capable of writing a phrase like "absolutely stuffed/packed to the gills/choc a bloc with gays" might well be limited to 5 years. As to them still breeding, well, I don't want to think about that. I'd much rather contemplate a takeover by insincere Shan lads.

Lavender Lanna Hotel, we have a swimming pool, steam room, coffe shop, roof top bar and male massage facilities. rooms start at 1150 for a renovated room. please feel free to come and inspect our facilities before staying.

Lavender Lanna Hotel, we have a swimming pool, steam room, coffe shop, roof top bar and male massage facilities. rooms start at 1150 for a renovated room. please feel free to come and inspect our facilities before staying.

It's great to see you guys are keeping the flame burning for Jay, and I sincerely hope you succeed. But, can I offer some helpful advice?

With the prevalance of the internet anyone considering a stay at your hotel is likely to search for some information. A quick Google of "Lavender Lanna" greets you with headlines like: "Lavender Lanna Owner Commits Suicide‎" and "Owner Of Lavener Lanna Hotel Found Dead" (some from the very website you sponsor :) ) A few more mouse clicks and you learn this was allegedly due to massive debts incurred by his business. Whether the alleged comments are true or not, the prospective guest has already formed his own opinion and booked elsewhere, or decided to give CM a miss altogether.

In my opinion, if you are to recover the situation, a PR campaign backed with tangibile evidence that the business is sound and you have the backing of your creditors to continue is required. For example, joint press releases with suppliers, the owners of the building, finacial institutions etc. You need something more than "we have a swimming pool etc". last time I checked, even your website makes no mention of the tragic events or that you are still in business. I think that is a mistake given information about recent events is not hard to find.

Unless you can put out some believable positive statements, rather than hype without substance, I suspect you will find it hard to survive this. That's my advice for what its worth; I wish you all good luck.

Lavendar Lanna / Lanna Lavendar. I was in CM for a few days about 1 month back.

- I called about 5 times before anybody answered the phone

- Eventually phone was answered and I asked for the receptioist to talk to the song tow driver for address. Response was "every taxi driver knows our location" and hung up.

- I eventually found the venue, asked a staff member where the massage room was, no attempt to be friendly etc., just pointed down a hallway and walked off.

- Eventually found it myself, and quickly realized that the ladyboy captain who seemed to be in charge was more interested in herself than greeting / pleasing a customer.

- On leaving again no attempt from the ladyboy captain to be pleasant to the customer, just "you have tip for me"?

- Before leaving asked the same person for some details about the cabaret / dancing later, no real answers.

- I didn't go back, and until I hear some much better real reports I won't bother.

- Eventually phone was answered and I asked for the receptioist to talk to the song tow driver for address. Response was "every taxi driver knows our location" and hung up.

- I eventually found the venue, asked a staff member where the massage room was, no attempt to be friendly etc., just pointed down a hallway and walked off.

- Eventually found it myself, and quickly realized that the ladyboy captain who seemed to be in charge was more interested in herself than greeting / pleasing a customer.

- On leaving again no attempt from the ladyboy captain to be pleasant to the customer, just "you have tip for me"?

- Before leaving asked the same person for some details about the cabaret / dancing later, no real answers.

- I didn't go back, and until I hear some much better real reports I won't bother.

Hmmmm what a first post ......

I still haven't been over there yet but I have called them. The phone was answered promptly.

we were talking to a large group of Thai gay friends of our friends yesyerday. They told us they wont be taking our friends there unless they really insist.. because a) they (the Thais) dont like the entrance to the hotel (too public) :) they think it is too expensive.. aparently some places in Lanna Lavender a bottle of Red Label was priced at 2000- baht with no mixers. At other venues in CM a 1 litre can be got for 800-900 baht...

also we read on another thread that the hotel has many Thai guests astheir room rate is "below the 800 baht threashhold". but poster abovepbcm says their rates start from 1150- ??????

which is it please ???

we were talking to a large group of Thai gay friends of our friends yesyerday. They told us they wont be taking our friends there unless they really insist.. because a) they (the Thais) dont like the entrance to the hotel (too public) :) they think it is too expensive.. aparently some places in Lanna Lavender a bottle of Red Label was priced at 2000- baht with no mixers. At other venues in CM a 1 litre can be got for 800-900 baht...

also we read on another thread that the hotel has many Thai guests astheir room rate is "below the 800 baht threashhold". but poster abovepbcm says their rates start from 1150- ??????

which is it please ???

Take a look at the rates on the website?

I am following with interest as I haven't been to CM in 4 years...but I am going next week.

I need to find a "gay" hotel, but I won't stay at the Lotus again. I don't like the night market bars, but I am happy to go to the less commercial bars (Soho??), and I will be in the House of M some days. I think I need to be over that side of the town.

I have now given up on the Lanna. PJs could be better (?)

eddy

I am following with interest as I haven't been to CM in 4 years...but I am going next week.

I need to find a "gay" hotel, but I won't stay at the Lotus again. I don't like the night market bars, but I am happy to go to the less commercial bars (Soho??), and I will be in the House of M some days. I think I need to be over that side of the town.

I have now given up on the Lanna. PJs could be better (?)

eddy

Yup, stayed there many times and always enjoyed the peaceful location and attentive service, & it is close to he places you wish to visit. :)

Hmmmm what a first post ......

I still haven't been over there yet but I have called them. The phone was answered promptly.

I have been there now .. and am happy to report that everything was about average :) Treated like a gues/customer. Drink service was good/timely etc.

where is PJ's located please ??

At the end of a quiet soi off Huay Kaew Road between Soho Bar and Hillside 4. IIRC it's the Soi where Dome Residence is (A new condotel which, incidently, I've heard good things about - not gay but supposedly nice and good value for money, good location).

Depends what scene you want but PJs is walking distance to Soho, CLub M, House of Male, BBZ Massage and La vie en rose. As well as the trendy scene around Nimanheminda road (not gay, though many gay friendly places here too).

I've never been inside PJs but I know many who rave about it, and I've never heard anyone mutter a bad word, well except to complain it was fully booked! The owners are real nice people and one of the staff is a super hunk :D:D:)