Cmu 1 Year Thai Study Program

charley1947

Help. What kind of help. Will they get it for you? Provide all the papers. Be careful and clear with what they say they will provide. This is the Language Institute? Dr Ian is still in charge, or the farange face of the program? He's OK.

How much do they charge?

How many hours a week do you study?

Are there exams?

Maybe sent the link....

They will provide the paperwork and probably even have someone go with you if you need to get the extension. They are very helpful overall.

All schools provide this though. I would look at the price and compare price and curriculum with the other places that offer these courses.

The language Institutes Thai classes are relatively new, but they are a professional outfit.

I don't know what the heck Kurushekta is talking about. The Director of the Language Institute is Kuhn Sansanee. Dr. Mathew Kay is the Vice Director and was in charge of the TEFL program that they have.

I have never heard about a Dr. Ian. He must be new.

They will provide the paperwork and probably even have someone go with you if you need to get the extension. They are very helpful overall.

All schools provide this though. I would look at the price and compare price and curriculum with the other places that offer these courses.

The language Institutes Thai classes are relatively new, but they are a professional outfit.

I don't know what the heck Kurushekta is talking about. The Director of the Language Institute is Kuhn Sansanee. Dr. Mathew Kay is the Vice Director and was in charge of the TEFL program that they have.

Sorry. Meant Mathew. and the courses seem to be great.

Actually there are two almost completely seperate sections of the language school. Matt is in direct control of the TEFL and One month courses. Others are in control of the one year courses. There is a diferent focus between the two sections but in both cases the lecturers are capable. Attendance is a problem with the one year course and I consider affects the outcome of all students.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK CHARLIE

I've reviewed the couse outline from the link in this stream. The course 4 hrs a week for 45 weeks sounds wonderful. 30000 B is a great price. If you want to stay in CM and learn Thai and Thai culture this is the best Thai course I've seen. With the one year visa, it's a great deal.

Education visa is super easy to apply for when you study anything. So don't let that weigh into your decision to do it just for the visa! I could sign up for a Yoga course and get a Non Imm education visa!

I am not sure that this is accurate. Study must be at a school recognized by the Ministry of Education if one hopes to get an extension of stay (to the best of my knowledge)

Education visa is super easy to apply for when you study anything. So don't let that weigh into your decision to do it just for the visa! I could sign up for a Yoga course and get a Non Imm education visa!

I am not sure that this is accurate. Study must be at a school recognized by the Ministry of Education if one hopes to get an extension of stay (to the best of my knowledge)

I've done it before. Keep in mind that a non-imm education ('O', for 'Other') doesn't give you super powers.. It's just a 3 month visa that can't easily be extended though you could scrape together an additional month.

I've done it before. Keep in mind that a non-imm education ('O', for 'Other') doesn't give you super powers.. It's just a 3 month visa that can't easily be extended though you could scrape together an additional month.

An letter from an official accredited? school will net you a non-imm-ed (not o) visa and a real school can manage the permission to stay extensions in the country. (I have personal experience with this from 3 different institutions)

While you MIGHT be able to get an ed visa from an honorary consulate for studying yoga etc there is almost no chance of gaining an extension of stay based on that. CMU's language study should be able to manage the extension of stay as do places like Walen etc. Many of those places will be hard pressed to continue to be treated as legitimate schools if their students just continue to use them for an alternative to 90 day border runs etc. There are already reports of some immigration offices asking for a demonstration of some language ability when people go in to extend for themselves.

With Webster and Chula I did not have to go in myself for the extensions as the schools handled all that for me.

Caveat- This was all 5-6 years ago as I have been on non-B's or non-O's for the last 4 years.

jd

I TAKE IT ALL BACK CHARLIE

I've reviewed the couse outline from the link in this stream. The course 4 hrs a week for 45 weeks sounds wonderful. 30000 B is a great price. If you want to stay in CM and learn Thai and Thai culture this is the best Thai course I've seen. With the one year visa, it's a great deal.

I believe Walen and Pro-language offer a similar deal for 24,000 baht

I've been studying Thai at the YMCA for a year. They don't offer any assistance for an educational visa, but I don't need that. Like me, many of the students at the Y are here on retirement visas. I do know one person who switched from the Y to the one-year CMU Thai program and he is very happy, especially since they start to teach Thai reading/writing up front.

One of my teachers at the Y also teachs at CMU. She is a very good teacher and I expect she's doing a great job at CMU also. However, she has expressed frustration with some of her students at CMU. She says many don't do the homework or come to class prepared, or sometimes skip class. But she says they pay her more at CMU than at the Y, which I'd expect since the CMU program is much more expensive.

Once thru the first couple of levels, I find the students at the Y to be fairly serious about learning Thai. They do the homework, work ahead in the book, come to class with questions and participate in class. It makes for a good learning environment.

I think the big difference is that some students are at CMU for the visa while no one at the Y is there for the visa -- their motivation is to learn Thai.

whenn converting from tourist visa to student visa, chiang mai first told me i could do this in bangkok, but now they told me it's RISKY as the immmigration asks many question to chekc ur stay is legit, reasonable or something....

so the cmu told me togoto vientiene instead... <deleted>

They probably do not have much experience with converting a visa up here, the basics are that you must (MUST) have over 21 days remaining unused on the tourist visa and also have all the documents in order. That being said, no Thai embassy in the world is unlikely to cough up a non-imm-ed single entry visa at the request of CMU.

no problem getting a non-imm ed visa through cmu. got mine at the consulate in kunming with a letter from cmu.

and at cm immigration, they gave me a one-year extension based on a written request from the cmu language institute.

:-) His issue is getting a visa changed from tourist to non-imm-ed while inside the country.

:-) His issue is getting a visa changed from tourist to non-imm-ed while inside the country.

really? i didn't see that in his post. he has two posts in total, and looks like

he's still in the us. no mention of converting from a tourist visa by op.

sorry.

whenn converting from tourist visa to student visa, chiang mai first told me i could do this in bangkok, but now they told me it's RISKY as the immmigration asks many question to chekc ur stay is legit, reasonable or something....

so the cmu told me togoto vientiene instead... <deleted>

Pardon. I made a wtong assumption and thought you were referring to my post and the one above it.

• 1 month later...
I've been studying Thai at the YMCA for a year. They don't offer any assistance for an educational visa, but I don't need that. Like me, many of the students at the Y are here on retirement visas. I do know one person who switched from the Y to the one-year CMU Thai program and he is very happy, especially since they start to teach Thai reading/writing up front.

One of my teachers at the Y also teachs at CMU. She is a very good teacher and I expect she's doing a great job at CMU also. However, she has expressed frustration with some of her students at CMU. She says many don't do the homework or come to class prepared, or sometimes skip class. But she says they pay her more at CMU than at the Y, which I'd expect since the CMU program is much more expensive.

Once thru the first couple of levels, I find the students at the Y to be fairly serious about learning Thai. They do the homework, work ahead in the book, come to class with questions and participate in class. It makes for a good learning environment.

I think the big difference is that some students are at CMU for the visa while no one at the Y is there for the visa -- their motivation is to learn Thai.

This is a really useful post - I had not considered the motivational aspect regarding some at CMU are just in it for the visa. Thanks Nancy - I will look at Y now and save 30,000 at the same time.

Cheers

Actually i am curious whether TEFLCMU is a private language institute like Walen/Pro or actually part of the CM university?

If it's a private language school, then it is only able to provide students 3 months extensions each time compared to 1 yr extension from universities.

Am i correct?

Cheers!

CMU has sent me the necessary visa paperwork along with a letter of intro for the embassy in Chicago. The embassy assures me that everything CMU told me is correct. I will enter with as three month visa and then convert it to a one year visa. The embassy was familiar with CMU and said there should be no hassle. I hope to get my non-immigrant visa during my first year in country and would appreciate any advise on that thread. I hope to hoist a few with you folks in early May. C47

Hmm If you want I could try and pop into CMU tomorrow (or on Monday) and go ask the Language Institute for more info. Its a bit out of my way though.

I pretty sure it is CMU though. I remember their original version of the page. I looked it up less then a month ago. And my bookmark sends me to that TEFL page. They have been redoing webpages. The original version was sooooo ugly!

I dont have experience with CMU, but another university here in Chiang mai. So I could be wrong on somethings, but It will at least point you in the right direction.

As for Non- Imm (ED) visa, it depends on the program the individual is taking and the school. If the course is 1 year AND the school writes that on the visa letter, then they might get a 1 year visa (I could be wrong). But I have a feeling it will be a 3 month Non- Imm (ED) visa where the student MUST go to Immigration to extend it for another 90 days.

I'm more familiar with with the second option. My university (Payap) operates on 3 month visa w/ extension. But our Thai Language program operates as an Intensive 1 month course (1 normal semester = 1 month of class). You can pay by month or for double class, so they dont want to do a 1 year visa here. lol

As for Tourist Visa to Non-Imm Visa, DO NOT DO THAT. They will MAKE you leave the country and come back, I'm completely serious. I asked about it before I came and was told there was no way around it. Why waste money when you dont have to.

I entered on a Non-Imm (ED) visa. But you need to hassle them for the paper work. and Thai people's " May pen aray"/ "I have all the time in the world to do this" attitude / INSANE bureaucracy paper work, might make you worry if you have deadlines. lol

I'm not sure about CMU but I have a feeling its the same for all Thai universities. They will not want to send you a University acceptance letter and your Visa letter unless you PAY FIRST. They dont want to get cheated and in trouble if you decided to skip out on class.

So you will have to contact CMU's International relation dept, to get info on everything you have to do and how. and STRESS that you want to ONLY come in on a Non-Imm visa. (They will probably tell you you'll need to pay for the whole course first). Then they will send you your acceptance letter. That letter along with 2 passport photos, a copy of your passport and visa fees are all you need, along with the visa application form . Then you either go to your country's Thai Embassy or mail the items into them.

The acceptance letter... I would ask them to mail the original copy AND scanned copy that is emailed to you. You never know with International mail these days.

Scanned version works wonders if youre on a deadline. Had I only asked for a paper copy, I would have had to wait an extra week or 2 in the US for it. Took so long to get what I needed.

My visa was done in Vientiane Laos. Killed two birds with one stone there. Visiting Family/dealing with family issues, before classes started and easy visa with only 1 day waiting. :)

*** Taken from CMU's International Student Admission page

Obtaining a visa

Once your application to study at CMU has been approved, you will need to obtain a Non-Immigrant ED visa to enter Thailand. This visa can be extended once your studies have commenced. DO NOT enter Thailand on a tourist or transit visa as these are not issued for study purposes and cannot be extended to cover the entire duration of your period of study.

Please note: Foreign nationals studying on a student visa are not eligible for a work permit and therefore cannot legally work while studying in Thailand.

The documents required for a visa are:

• A copy of the official letter of acceptance from CMU

• Two recent 4 x 6 cm passport size photos (less than 6 months old)

• A copy of your passport – information page(s)

• A Medical Certificate (less than 6 months old)

• Visa fee

Further assistance concerning immigration procedures is available from the International Relations Division:

E-mail opxxo004 (at) chiangmai.ac.th

***EDIT

Oh you already got the stuff... I did all that writing for nothing XD!

Edited by Yunnie

Hmm If you want I could try and pop into CMU tomorrow (or on Monday) and go ask the Language Institute for more info. Its a bit out of my way though.

I pretty sure it is CMU though. I remember their original version of the page. I looked it up less then a month ago. And my bookmark sends me to that TEFL page. They have been redoing webpages. The original version was sooooo ugly!

I dont have experience with CMU, but another university here in Chiang mai. So I could be wrong on somethings, but It will at least point you in the right direction.

As for Non- Imm (ED) visa, it depends on the program the individual is taking and the school. If the course is 1 year AND the school writes that on the visa letter, then they might get a 1 year visa (I could be wrong). But I have a feeling it will be a 3 month Non- Imm (ED) visa where the student MUST go to Immigration to extend it for another 90 days.

I'm more familiar with with the second option. My university (Payap) operates on 3 month visa w/ extension. But our Thai Language program operates as an Intensive 1 month course (1 normal semester = 1 month of class). You can pay by month or for double class, so they dont want to do a 1 year visa here. lol

As for Tourist Visa to Non-Imm Visa, DO NOT DO THAT. They will MAKE you leave the country and come back, I'm completely serious. I asked about it before I came and was told there was no way around it. Why waste money when you dont have to.

I entered on a Non-Imm (ED) visa. But you need to hassle them for the paper work. and Thai people's " May pen aray"/ "I have all the time in the world to do this" attitude / INSANE bureaucracy paper work, might make you worry if you have deadlines. lol

I'm not sure about CMU but I have a feeling its the same for all Thai universities. They will not want to send you a University acceptance letter and your Visa letter unless you PAY FIRST. They dont want to get cheated and in trouble if you decided to skip out on class.

So you will have to contact CMU's International relation dept, to get info on everything you have to do and how. and STRESS that you want to ONLY come in on a Non-Imm visa. (They will probably tell you you'll need to pay for the whole course first). Then they will send you your acceptance letter. That letter along with 2 passport photos, a copy of your passport and visa fees are all you need, along with the visa application form . Then you either go to your country's Thai Embassy or mail the items into them.

The acceptance letter... I would ask them to mail the original copy AND scanned copy that is emailed to you. You never know with International mail these days.

Scanned version works wonders if youre on a deadline. Had I only asked for a paper copy, I would have had to wait an extra week or 2 in the US for it. Took so long to get what I needed.

My visa was done in Vientiane Laos. Killed two birds with one stone there. Visiting Family/dealing with family issues, before classes started and easy visa with only 1 day waiting. :)

*** Taken from CMU's International Student Admission page

Obtaining a visa

Once your application to study at CMU has been approved, you will need to obtain a Non-Immigrant ED visa to enter Thailand. This visa can be extended once your studies have commenced. DO NOT enter Thailand on a tourist or transit visa as these are not issued for study purposes and cannot be extended to cover the entire duration of your period of study.

Please note: Foreign nationals studying on a student visa are not eligible for a work permit and therefore cannot legally work while studying in Thailand.

The documents required for a visa are:

• A copy of the official letter of acceptance from CMU

• Two recent 4 x 6 cm passport size photos (less than 6 months old)

• A copy of your passport – information page(s)

• A Medical Certificate (less than 6 months old)

• Visa fee

Further assistance concerning immigration procedures is available from the International Relations Division:

E-mail opxxo004 (at) chiangmai.ac.th

***EDIT

Oh you already got the stuff... I did all that writing for nothing XD!

I think your post was fantastic. In fact I think it should be stickied somewhere, because it is going to answer a lot of future questions.

I would love to come back on an ED visa and solidify my reading and writing, but I don't think I will have the time to do so.

I think your post was fantastic. In fact I think it should be stickied somewhere, because it is going to answer a lot of future questions.

I would love to come back on an ED visa and solidify my reading and writing, but I don't think I will have the time to do so.

If you do come back for Thai classes, I recommend Payap's program. Thai 3 would be what you need if you want to work on reading and writing foundation. We learned the letters, vowels, and a few basic grammar rules needed for easy short stories. If you think youre pass that, it could still be good review.

I was already at Thai 5/6 level In the US, but I had issues with foundation stuff. So Thai 3 was great. :)