Steaks For The Bbq

NanLaew

I have been buying my steaks at Villa since they opened and have very good luck with both the T-Bone at 550 baht per kilo and the ribeye at 880baht per kilo..I am now buying my steaks and lamb..They have some great Aussie bone-in ribeye in the case not frozen for 750 per kilo..they have some steaks already cut weighing about 1 kilo....I have been cooking 1 for me and the Mrs. and it is just excellent...also in the case nex to these steaks is aussie lamb leg at 350 per kilo..a very good buy

Bulk potato salad and coleslaw at Villa Market..165 baht per kilo and excellent

Stop it! You're making me hungry now...at 4am. Luckily it's open 24 hours. :)

I have mr Tropo

The only one that i have no information on is the, western whole sale meat company.

All the rest over rated and over priced for what you get.

Is that ok for you.

You never mentioned price, you just mentioned that you can't get good steak. That is just plain nonsense Mr Firestarter because good steak is very easy to find in Pattaya.

The price here is the price. It's imported, so what do you expect? If that is over priced for your budget, then too bad, you're just going to have to keep eating boot leather.

There's no point complaining that you can't get good steak when the reality is you're either too cheap or too broke to pay the price for what you want.

BTW, I just finished eating a cut of aged striploin from Villa. It cost 880 per kilo, but it was sensational.

Very rude!

I have been to all these places, except Western Beef. The steaks are pre-cut and not very thick. That means they cook too fast. I usually get mine 1" 1/4 cut back home, and they are not cheap...about $10 each...or more. I did find some at Tops in Central Festival. Pretty darn good, but still a little thin...but not bad. Was about 800B for 2 fair sized steaks, from Oz, on special. Taste was fantastic.

I was at Makro yesterday, nice store. Meat selection seemed pretty good, but again most steaks were pre-cut. I did see some imported beef you could cut yourself, but I don't believe it was top quality steak material? I did buy the local Thai ribeye. I will give you an update this weekend if it was any good or not....so far, my experience with Thai beef is it is best for hamburger only!

When you go to Western Meat a phone call to the owner before may be a good idea but not mandatory. My first experience there last year was the same. Went there on a rainy day around noon and saw the front pull down shutters closed and thought this is weird. Called him and he said it was lunch time for him and staff but hang on he would pop down. Then he explained the entry door is on the side near the back of shop house so just come around there.

So, when you go there a call may be good idea. When you walk in the place don't expect a retail store environment. It is a commercial meat cutting operation and two freezers and his Thai staff very busy. Be prepared to look at a menu and know what you want and if you look at the menu on line at the web site may be better still. He will pull out any pre cut product from the freezer to show you. If you want it fresh then you may have to wait or order it.

The Brit owner is very is to get along with and will pack and cut anything he has any way you like and his prices are very reasonable. Meat orders can be called in and picked up. Bring cash and almost the exact change as he has no cash register. This is first and foremost a commercial operation supplying hotels and restaurants.

Thanks for all the good info (and good moderation keeping the chaff out of this thread).

I've bought beef several times from the shop near Foodland. Its about 30 meters west of Foodland on Central Pattaya road, the same side as Foodland. I believe it's called Prime Beef.

Twice I bought top round for roast beef. The cost was 300 baht a kilo or thereabouts. (Similar price to Foodland, but Foodland often has it on sale. for 220 baht/kilo.) The salesman (owner?) was very helpful. Apparently you can put a code on the package in to some site on the net and figure out exactly which farm your meat came from.

The top round itself was amazing looking--the marbling was extensive and uniform. The Foodland roast beef has almost no marbling. I roasted it at about 180 C if I recall correctly until the internal temperature was about 150 or so--a couple of hours.

The meat came out very tender and tasty. I had excellent sandwiches for days--a baguette from Carrefour, mayo, dijon and roast beef and you're in heaven. Warm up the baguette first, you're over the top.

I haven't tried the steaks yet.

All in all, I recommend this place highly.

Edited by Jimmyd

I have been to all these places, except Western Beef. The steaks are pre-cut and not very thick. That means they cook too fast. I usually get mine 1" 1/4 cut back home, and they are not cheap...about $10 each...or more. I did find some at Tops in Central Festival. Pretty darn good, but still a little thin...but not bad. Was about 800B for 2 fair sized steaks, from Oz, on special. Taste was fantastic.

I was at Makro yesterday, nice store. Meat selection seemed pretty good, but again most steaks were pre-cut. I did see some imported beef you could cut yourself, but I don't believe it was top quality steak material? I did buy the local Thai ribeye. I will give you an update this weekend if it was any good or not....so far, my experience with Thai beef is it is best for hamburger only!

That's strange you say you've been to all these places. There is always a lot of uncut imported steak and local steak at Foodland. You just get the butcher to cut it to you own preference. Aussie, NZ and US.

Personally I like the packaged cuts because I can closely examine each piece. I also prefer them cut thin or medium for quick cooking.

Maybe I have not been looking close enough. I did see some at Makro yesterday...and did see some uncut beef at another store, but forgot which one. But most of what I saw was prepackaged. I will go back to Foodland and check for sure! I am really looking forward to trying this Thai ribeye I bought. I hope it's good!!!!!

Maybe I have not been looking close enough. I did see some at Makro yesterday...and did see some uncut beef at another store, but forgot which one. But most of what I saw was prepackaged. I will go back to Foodland and check for sure! I am really looking forward to trying this Thai ribeye I bought. I hope it's good!!!!!

I should have mentioned. If you found some precut meat you fancied at Foodland you could always take it up to the counter and ask the butcher to cut you a thicker piece from their stock in the refrigerator. What you see out the front is only a tiny portion of their stock.

I've always found the Thai ribeye good. At Foodland they have about 3 grades of it. I normally go for the "pen fed" one. You can buy the whole ribeye or any length you want and cut it yourself at home. This is what I normally do.

Plenty of Uncut Aussie beef at makro, butchers display opposit the last row of Freezers.

I had some "hybrid" beef from Freindship a while ago, bang for buck it was pretty good.

Yeah, seen the signs at the Friendship meat counter, but... Hey, exactly what the heck is that: "Hybrid beef," anyway?

Plenty of Uncut Aussie beef at makro, butchers display opposit the last row of Freezers.

I had some "hybrid" beef from Freindship a while ago, bang for buck it was pretty good.

Yeah, seen the signs at the Friendship meat counter, but... Hey, exactly what the heck is that: "Hybrid beef," anyway?

just googled it...it is mixed cattle race, opposing a pure bred. If that makes the meat any better or worse, no idea.

just googled it...it is mixed cattle race, opposing a pure bred. If that makes the meat any better or worse, no idea.

Ahh... mongrel steak. My favourite!