Lots Of Tourists In Phuket, But They Aren’t Spending Much

webfact

"It is interesting how it appears that TAT doesn't even know what its target customer is. We want high spenders, we want numbers, we want westerners, we want asians, we want ecotourists. Every year a new fad and a new idea, general of all, master of none."

TAT and the tourist industry needs a total new facelift. You are correct in saying -'master of none'.

the conditions in Thailand (tourism) will continue to deteriorate without any new strategies and measures.

I have always mentioned on these forums concerning tourism is that Thailand needs an professional outside

travel manager to overlook this industry. There are many other attractive destinations besides Thailand that

exist.

I am not saying that what they are doing is easy, but when you have such a massive range of existing customers, some from established, some from nascent countries and some untapped, you really need to know what these people want. It isn't enough to stir the pot and pull out a "global" one fits all strategy for a country as potentially varied as Thailand.

It is definitely my opinion that they need a more decentralised style of marketing because what is offered from Chiangmai, to Pattaya, to Hua Hin, to Phuket to Bangkok, is essentially a completely different experience. Approaching it from a TAT nationwide perspective is never likely to get the right result. Whilst the atmosphere of the resorts is all a bit different, what the businesses are trying to offer is all a bit same same.

I would be for them all having more differentiated tourism strategies and target groups. Unfortunately as a rule, every resort offers everything to everyone and ends up not satisfying any of the target groups completely.

A while ago you brought £1000 you had 70,000 baht to spread around

Now you bring £1000 you have circa 50,000 baht to spread around

about 28% less - roughly

Excellent point, but gains from the Euro, and AU$ should mitigate that somewhat.

IMO Thailand hadn’t needed any promotion or target strategies from TAT if they had kept things the way it was I.e. maintained what they had included beaches resort towns and avoid to make all of Phuket look like a bad mix between Nana road and Klong toey, and also that the people themselves in any aspect of life and work still had given the impression to a visitor today as they did 30 years ago.

With other words TAT and Thailand should look within themselves. However I’m afraid its to late

Mate word has got around that los, now means , land of scams .Until thais stop scamming and trying to rip off tourists , im afraid that it wont get any better. Also farang bar owners have to wake up to themselfs and lower prices.

Yes 100% agree the world has become wiser to the scams and now they only spend on necessities like food. Farangs are now avoiding the traps the word is out there and now thais are complaining that the farangs won't let themselves be scammed anymore

Not surprised with how much they charge down there 190 baht for a Jack Coke

THEY ARE HAVIN A LAUGH daylight robbery its cheaper in the UK

Krabi is the same me mate and I rode our Bikes from Chiang Mai to Krabi and small chang beer was 120baht and Jack coke again 170-190 baht food was starting at 200 baht up. We chatted to a british girl who expressed it was very expensive there and she expected it to be much much cheaper not more expensive than back home.

Thailand is still inexpensive you just gotta avoid he tourist traps.

What is a Jack Coke?

I think Thailand has made a huge mistake chasing an upscale client in a falling economy. The upscale market will always exist where the upscale clients want it to exist and it really doesn't require much marketing. In the process they have lost the backpacker/budget tourists and many used to spend a lot more but have downsized due to the economy. You may have noticed that Laos seems to be smartly welcoming the backpacker/budget tourist and should likely have continued growth. You must walk before you can run. Only problem with the Thai strategy is that they are running alone.

I noted the photo of the 'Crowded' beach all 12/15 of them , the last time I was on Ochtenual beach in Sihanook-ville , I had a job finding a place to park my derriere .

Sitting in a cafe beside the river side in Phnom Penh today , I could not believe the number of tourist passing by , in pairs in groups and families , the buisiest I have seen in 4 years . The tuk-tuk men I have known a long time tell me they are surprised at the large increase in tourists ,many repeats , and these are only the 'White ones ' .

Shame on Thailand for doing such a pisspot job of at least trying to make tourists and expats feel welcome , looks like the reporting on TV and in the international press is taking its toll .

Not surprised with how much they charge down there 190 baht for a Jack Coke

THEY ARE HAVIN A LAUGH daylight robbery its cheaper in the UK

Krabi is the same me mate and I rode our Bikes from Chiang Mai to Krabi and small chang beer was 120baht and Jack coke again 170-190 baht food was starting at 200 baht up. We chatted to a british girl who expressed it was very expensive there and she expected it to be much much cheaper not more expensive than back home.

Thailand is still inexpensive you just gotta avoid he tourist traps.

What is a Jack Coke?

I think Jack Daniels (wimpy Yank sour mash whisky/scotch) and Coca Cola (carbonated prune juice).