The Pattaya Cough ?

pop3

For a few years now I have noticed that half the people in Pattaya seem to have a dry cough, Ive heard it refered to as.. The Pattaya cough.

For those who haven't noticed just take note next time your in public it's everywhere.

Is it air quality or what ?

I think it's might be the warm weather and air-condition. You go from the heat outside, and in to an air-conditioned room. And when you get used to the colder air, you go out in the heat again. It's big tempearture changes in a very short time. (Seconds)

I do not know this, it's just a guess. It is also well poluted from traffic and other sources here, so it might come from that as well.

Edited by bellste

many people have TB from sharing tiny living area with 5 people

Yes. I think theres a lot more TB around than people know of. I know of two Thais myself with TB, but there are other symptoms with it like night sweats ect.

I think the dry cough we hear everywhere in Pattaya is something to do with air quality ?

many people have TB from sharing tiny living area with 5 people

Yes. I think theres a lot more TB around than people know of. I know of two Thais myself with TB, but there are other symptoms with it like night sweats ect.

I think the dry cough we hear everywhere in Pattaya is something to do with air quality ?

Here in Ban Chang for the past twelve days and I notice this cough since I arrived, even just then. There's not a great deal of fumes from traffic right here as I'm on the south side of Sukhumvit, and the wind most often blows off the gulf from the ESE, but that's where Maptaphut is, so I put it down to either the refineries or the typical burn-offs by the locals.

It might not be the same as the 'Pattaya Cough' mentioned over here in Ban Chang, but it's a dry cough and quite unusual after having suffered a different sort of respiratory ailment back in the village up the hill in Nikhom Pattana, inland of Maptaphut.

I call it the Pattaya Flu. Dang near everytime I visit, I catch something which gives me aches, pains, cough and a stuffed up chest. It always feels like the flu, but I do not have a medical name for it.

This last time, I got sick during the last couple of days and on my flight home my ears got plugged up. This is a rare occurrence for me and I blame in on the Pattaya Flu.

TheWalkingMan

All BS.....there is virus/chest infection going around...not TB.....know of 2 people who have just caught it on a visit to Singapore, and believe its doning the rounds in Malaysia as well

So seeing at Pattaya is full of tourists could we suggest the toursits have brought it in, instead of scaremongering about TB etc etc

Edited by Soutpeel

All BS.....there is virus/chest infection going around...not TB.....know of 2 people who have just caught it on a visit to Singapore, and believe its doning the rounds in Malaysia as well

So seeing at Pattaya is full of tourists could we suggest the toursits have brought it in, instead of scaremongering about TB etc etc

This is not just a five minuet thing. this Pattaya cough has been around for a few years now. it's there off season too.

As for TB...

TB epidemic in Thailand

Thailand has the 17th highest incidence of tuberculosis in the world

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Health Department deputy director Dr Chanchai Kumphong said 90,000 people were infected with tuberculosis every year. About 15,000, or 16.5 per cent, are in Bangkok. :)

Anyone who thinks this is BS just google TB Thailand.

I get the "Pattaya Cough" usually for the first few days I arrive. I take a hayfever medication like Latoridine, and it settles down. Think it is mainly allergy related? But the air IS filthy, and in and out of AIRCON is not good, and I think I will have a check up and get a TB jab from now on! :)

I have noticed a sore throat also since I got here a few weeks ago. I can sure understand as the air quality has been horrible. I am on the 6th floor near Tepprasit road. Some days it's hard to even see the tall buildings on beach road! Make that many days...

• 2 weeks later...

I blame all the old cheap charlie Farangs smoking their filthy Krongthips and LM dangs...... if we had a higher quality expat who smoked, B&H. John Player etc we wouldn't have this issue :) the sooner they all croak with smoking related diseases the better, if you ask me :D

Edited by William Osborne

I blame all the old cheap charlie Farangs smoking their filthy Krongthips and LM dangs...... if we had a higher quality expat who smoked, B&H. John Player etc we wouldn't have this issue :) the sooner they all croak with smoking related diseases the better, if you ask me :D

I don't smoke or live in Pattaya, but have just about got over the cough after a week of it, with the help of a herb remedy called UECOUGH -from Watsons and other places- 40 baht. The TB stories worry me- better do some searches- what are the main symptoms of TB in Thailand ?

myself and my 9 mth old baby had it for 2 mths while in patts, think it was the dust and fumes in the air, dry cough . eventually had to go onto antibiotics as the medicine i was buying out of pharmacy wasnt doing much good,, doc says it was broncitus with me and the baby.

I live in Bangkok. It's fine here. No coughing.

Good for you. I can only make it in Bangkok for a few weeks and then I have to leave. Just can't take the air. But then I stay near Siam Center. I am sure it is not so bad if you are out of CBD a little...seems the bad air gets caught under the skytrain...and that covers a huge section of Suk!

This is not just a five minuet thing. this Pattaya cough has been around for a few years now. it's there off season too.

As for TB...

TB epidemic in Thailand

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Health Department deputy director Dr Chanchai Kumphong said 90,000 people were infected with tuberculosis every year. About 15,000, or 16.5 per cent, are in Bangkok. :)

Seems odd this TB thing in Thailand. As anyone who has taken their wives back to the UK know they have to have a Ministry certificate to say they are free of TB.

Whilst the Uk husband who has lived with them for years in Thailand does not need one. Strange logic. 50% of the

couple is clear of TB but the other 50% may not be.

I live in Bangkok. It's fine here. No coughing.

I notice that half of the dogs I pass in Bangkok are coughing, or trying to cough, seriously.

Thanks for the laugh Col.

On a seriouus note usually defined as Kennel cough.

• 2 weeks later...

As for TB...

TB epidemic in Thailand

Seems odd this TB thing in Thailand. As anyone who has taken their wives back to the UK know they have to have a Ministry certificate to say they are free of TB.

Whilst the Uk husband who has lived with them for years in Thailand does not need one. Strange logic. 50% of the

couple is clear of TB but the other 50% may not be.

Sounds a crazy situation ?

• 1 month later...