Woman Injured After Falling Onto Bangkok Skytrain Tracks

george

I use the train everyday, and the way Thai's just push pass you to make sure they get on before you, this kind of thing was always going to happen at some point!

Thai's are just soo ignorant at times! No manners, whatsoever!

Hope she recovers soon!!

I also ride the BTS every day, and can recognize the above situation. If anyone tries to push their way in front of others, they should expect that a stronger person might push back. I learned the hard way in China, that particularily in China, it is necessary to use your elbows to protect your number in the row. Otherwise you will never get on the bus.

Anyway the yellow line is very close to the tracks and if someone should feel dizzy or pass out, they could easily fall to the tracks.

It will probably be impossible for an old buffalo to learn new manners, so I think that the only solution to this problem would be, if they could make a safety system similar to the MRT (subway), where doors protect you from falling to the tracks.

I have no usable solution to the rude thais (mostly younger women), who are always trying to board the vehicle, before the exitting passengers have actually finished exitting. I very often have to tackle me way out of the BTS, MRT or an elevator. Just a few days ago a young thai teenager learned, that a big farang is not easily pushed away.

When I complain to my TW about the pig ignorant Thai's who attempt to push and line jump and who in general have little or no regard for others when queuing for anything, (Cinema, Trains, Buses, Taxis etc), she say's it really stems from the lack of the basic 'do's and don't, this is rude' being taught at home and to a degree in schools.

How many times have you seen a Thai (man or woman) open a door for another person? On the other hand how many times have you seen a Thai open a door or let a door 'go' in some ones face?

I always when possible make a point of holding a door open for a Thai the trick is to make sure that they have to pass UNDER your arm! I adopted this after never ever being thanked for opening or holding a door open for a Thai person.

The average Thai family do not greet each other with 'good morning' or 'good night' watch a Thai family get into the family truck not too many give way to each other including the parents. My wife was the same until she was educated!! She is now ashamed by the way many of her country men behave.

Until they are educated this practice will never cease!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

off-topic posts deleted.

Be prepared for a suspension if it continues

Fair enough - as a matter of interest, does anyone recall if the original BTS design included any door/platform safety rail features....??

Thanks. Brewsta.

Edited by Brewsta

When I complain to my TW about the pig ignorant Thai's who attempt to push and line jump and who in general have little or no regard for others when queuing for anything, (Cinema, Trains, Buses, Taxis etc), she say's it really stems from the lack of the basic 'do's and don't, this is rude' being taught at home and to a degree in schools.

How many times have you seen a Thai (man or woman) open a door for another person? On the other hand how many times have you seen a Thai open a door or let a door 'go' in some ones face?

I always when possible make a point of holding a door open for a Thai the trick is to make sure that they have to pass UNDER your arm! I adopted this after never ever being thanked for opening or holding a door open for a Thai person.

The average Thai family do not greet each other with 'good morning' or 'good night' watch a Thai family get into the family truck not too many give way to each other including the parents. My wife was the same until she was educated!! She is now ashamed by the way many of her country men behave.

Until they are educated this practice will never cease!

Wow..so now Thais have become a white man's burden? So gracious of you to educate your Thai wife.

We should really appoint you the minister of education.

The conductors on the Bangkok buses have it off to a tee, telling boarding passengers to move down the bus away from the doors, and it works except for the farangs with their backpacks on who blithely stand in the doorway, but they're not to know.

As for getting on a Bangkok bus, in my experience women are far more likely to push ahead than men, the farang stands facing the door, but the seasoned middle aged Bangkokian lady approaches from the side, neatly ducking under the hapless farang's arms to gain entry first.

In this case the only defence is to ensure there is absolutely no space between you and the person preceding getting on the bus and one must feign ignorance of the person pushing in front from the side as one steadfastly clambers aboard.

There is a certain satisfaction in denying a queue jumper but sometimes it's just not worth it!

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

How long have you been here mate? 2 weeks?? Time will see you change your opinion on that especially in bkk.

Good one.

Try driving also.

Hope the lady recovers.

Hmmm I must be going mad............................

Could have sworn I posted on this topic about the poor woman falling off the BTS platform has pretty lame news value and that all the Tuk Tuk drivers in Phuket must be on holiday. But as quickly as it was there it was gone! Or replaced with some racist taunting (must be more newsworthy, I hope the person who fell off the platform recovers well and people take a bit more notice and regard for other's safety.

Have a nice day everyone it's snowing outside :)

One post deleted and a suspension issued - anyone else want to continue racial slurs or personal attacks?

I just seem to recall some 'safety' aspects were deleted from the original project design e.g. SafetyRail/Train door synchronisation when Open/Close of same initiated - anyone remember....budget cost or over-run probs led to said feature deletions? Comments welcomed.

regards and travel swiftly and safely,

Brewsta :)

It would be nice if someone could design a one-way door preventing those wanting to enter until others have exited. I can think of at least one possibility (probably not practicable though.) Has anyone seen something like this anywhere?

8>< SNIP .,8 Nested quotes deleted

the original plan was to have 6 wagons not 4.

The amount of trains are enough only there was not enough money to buy it all

you can see that all the stations are designed for 6 wagons. only 4 are used

Pieter :D:)

If you count them carefully, you'll find three cars in each train. The platforms are sized for two-unit trains (6 cars)

SC

8>< SNIP .,8 Nested quotes deleted

the original plan was to have 6 wagons not 4.

The amount of trains are enough only there was not enough money to buy it all

you can see that all the stations are designed for 6 wagons. only 4 are used

Pieter :D:)

If you count them carefully, you'll find three cars in each train. The platforms are sized for two-unit trains (6 cars)

SC

Cheers Gents.

6 carriages makes sense and yes, a number of research facilities in 'Hazardous Materials' laboratories, amongst others, have a door design that ensures entry/exit compartments are isolated and connecting/exit doors are programmed as follows:

- to prevent the door to the 'World' in the initial compartment you walk into getting contaminated (call it Door A), the connecting door to the adjoining Secure Hazardous compartment(s) (Door B in my example) will not open until Door A is 100% closed. The reverse exit procedure obviously occurs when you want to get back into the 'world via Doors B, then A..

This makes sense and if the same mechanism was good enough to be used for the UK Xmas 2010 Doctor Who episodes, then it's good enough for me :D

rgdz, Brewsta

Only BTS to blame,if we all treat our costumer like that we will not have any!!. It seems like BTS only are in for the money :D not service,they should have one more car on for long time ago... :)

Hello there, larsjensen.

Where are you a native from? Been here long?

I am guessing 'Scandinavia', where safety and consumers rights are, on the whole, a high priority for the service operators.

Welcome back :D Brewsta

A few weeks ago, I was at Siam station. The train arrived and there was not enough room for me to get on, so I found myself at the front of the queue waiting for the next train. After a very short time, I felt that I was in danger of being pushed accidentally onto the tracks, so I stepped out of line and joined another queue. I rremeber telling some friends about it later that evening.

This incident was bound to happen sooner or later, and I hope that something will be done to stop it from happening again; the way things are at the moment during rush hours, it will happen again and next time it may be fatal.

It would be nice if someone could design a one-way door preventing those wanting to enter until others have exited. I can think of at least one possibility (probably not practicable though.) Has anyone seen something like this anywhere?

The Kabatas Funicular line in Istanbul has this system however people rushing to get a spot usually make their way around the the side where people are exiting just to get in before the other doors open. Can be done where the vehicle stops between two platforms but not likely on our beloved BTS.

Only BTS to blame,if we all treat our costumer like that we will not have any!!. It seems like BTS only are in for the money :D not service,they should have one more car on for long time ago... :)

Hello there, larsjensen.

I am guessing 'Scandinavia', where safety and consumers rights are, on the whole, a high priority for the service operators.

Hi

Right, Denmark. been here almost 20year

Aren't we all getting a bit carried away with the safety aspect? The line opened in 1999 and carries over 400,000 passengers per day. Since it opened, how many passengers have been injured falling from the platform? I think I can recall one other incident about 3 years ago at Sala Daeng (I think). How does the safety record compare to other systems worldwide over the same period?

A safety system at terminus stations would be simple to construct where passenger traffic is only one way; it will be more difficult at intermediate stations where footfall is both ways. On the park side of Mo Chit where passengers are alighting, no system is needed but on the other side someone has suggested a barrier with gaps in it where the train doors open. These gaps can be 'plugged' with a barrier that can be opened and closed automatically either vertically or sliding. I can foresee two problems here - getting crushed against the barrier and head injuries being caused when the 'gate' is being closed.

Intermediate stations pose a different problem but can be solved with a major platform layout change!

Hello there, larsjensen.

Hi

Right, Denmark. been here almost 20year

It is my belief that reasonable safety systems and procedures are 'built-in' more often in Copenhagan's Transit system or similar transit system? True or False?

Edited by Brewsta

Despite the simple to read arrows. Despite the signs. Despite the public announcements made over the loudspeaker. The train or elevator must be entered over other people's dead bodies if necessary. However, egressing from those same conveyances seems to hold no interest for them whatsoever. I feel for the poor woman. That can be a precipitous fall, potentially into some rather high voltage. I hope against hope that the fatherless so-and-so who caused this will learn from his/her greed and arrogance. If not perhaps they will face the next life as a tortoise trying to cross a high-speed rail line over and over again.

I use the train everyday, and the way Thai's just push pass you to make sure they get on before you, this kind of thing was always going to happen at some point!

Hope she recovers soon!!

I have been using the BTS for months and find it so much better than the London transport service in terms of pushing and manners. I find the majority of Thai people very well mannered on the BTS and the organisation of the system as a whole is something the UK should certainly take note of.

The BTS system is, in my opinion, brilliant, but as the system expands without any visible increase in capacity accidents like this will happen.

Hopefully this lady will make a full and speedy recovery.

Absolutely true. It cannot be a matter of money though. The only reason that this government is still in power is that the distinguished ladies en gentlemen politicians have a lot of money to spend and to steal from. In case one is wondering what projects the stimulus package is spend on, look at the home cities and ballooning wealth of these people.

I can so relate. Even with small children, they have no respect or consideration. They will push us out the way or step in front of the stroller to get first. We even missed getting out of an elevator once because the guy wanting to get on did not want to get out the way so that I could get out. So he missed getting on and we missed getting out. How stupid can one person be. But I do not keep quiet! Such rudeness will not go tolerated with a mother!

Excuse me? Did you say Thais are so ignorant and no manners? I'm not Thai but I call your comment foul, uncalled-for. For all I know Thais relatively polite people, wherever you go, inside the train, in the bus, everywhere, with few exceptions like this train incident where you based your inappropriate comment.

I agree. Thais, for the most part are very polite. Some of these who think they aren't should go spend some time in an Arabic speaking country such Egypt. Then they would learn what barging in really is all about.

Interesting how this progressed. It is sad this was made into a Thai thing. I too have lived in NYC and rode the subway every day, and not only is it a dog eat dog world in the NYC subways you have to worry about someone killing you for a buck. The Skytrain is normally safe and and pleasant way to travel. There are exceptions to people being rude but we shouldn't make it a Thai thing. You can read some of the comments here and see that. It always amazes me that so many people have chose Thailand to live and spend some much time complaining about Thais and the Thai way of life.

For such a 'suparb' mannered country - some areas defy common sense. Drivers are one - put a nice Thai behind the wheel of a car and they become the Dr Jekyl/Mr Hide character. Put a Thai in a queue and the same applies. BTS/MRT is the worst example. Crowds on platforms, train arrives and before passengers can get off the ignorant little s**ts just push and shove into the train, same in department stores, lifts, 711's etc.

So on the train scenario I have wondered for the past two years why the MRT and BTS operators do not link an extra carriage! It would solve many of the issues. The platform guards are all but useless, simple minded whistleblowers with a uniform, and safety will always be an issue until common sense prevails.

Sad - for such a decent race of people. Learn some courtesy and manners. :)

It always amazes me that so many people have chose Thailand to live and spend some much time complaining about Thais and the Thai way of life.

Because many people don't think its a absolutely terrible to criticize things in life. And just because you chose to live here doesn't mean you have to think this place is perfect. For a lot of people, after you've lived here for a number of years, and the novelty has worn off, you start to see things how they really are.

It's nothing to be amazed about.

Anyways, hopefully the girl will be okay and those involved can learn another reason why curtesy is something to strive for.

Edited by thefusilier

I agree with you. I travel the MRT every day and in general I find the Thais to be very courteous and helpful. I have a problem walking and have to use a cane. When I try and get on a crowded train I often find that a helping hand appears from somewhere. I find that some farangs (usually young men) are unbelievably impolite and jump the queues to get on the train. The station staff are always very helpful too and even radio ahead to staff at my destination so that there will be somebody waiting for me in case I need help (useful because I got trapped in the train doors once and there were two pairs of hands already waiting to help me).

The BTS has had a rather long, trouble free run. I've lived in a lot of countries and getting on and off mass transit is never a fun or easy thing. Some places are worse, but none are good. After all let's remember there are up to a couple of hundred people trying to get on, an equal number getting off and it all has to be done in a very limited amount of time. It has the decorum of refugees fleeing a bombing. It goes with the territory, I guess.

I guess most of these fools have never seen hiow they pack them in Japan. INSANE & SCARY. The Thais are very well mannered people. I know because I have been coming here for 30 years.