Software - Import Duty?

DavidS

Can anyone tell me what is the import duty for software sent in via Fed-Ex?

No straight answer from the local office - "depends on customs when the item arrives".

I know regular mail sometimes means no duty charged, but that was not an option in this case.

Update on this.

I received the item today. There was no customs duty levied on the software.

A couple of general points of interest:-

1) Package was certified as meeting U.S. regulations on export of software, ie all done by the book.

2) Declared value was USD10, a fraction of the purchase price. I understand that insurance only covers cost of physical replacement, ie CDs and manuals. As loss or damage does not involve loss of intellectual property, only physical media, there is no cover for full purchase price.

That said, whenever I order DVDs (eg golf instruction, Ryder Cup, etc), customs duty is levied. I suppose the difference is this was software, the other stuff gets classified under entertainment items or some such. Just a guess as I really know nothing about customs tariffs, other than feeling it when I get clobbered.

Update on this.

I received the item today. There was no customs duty levied on the software.

A couple of general points of interest:-

1) Package was certified as meeting U.S. regulations on export of software, ie all done by the book.

2) Declared value was USD10, a fraction of the purchase price. I understand that insurance only covers cost of physical replacement, ie CDs and manuals. As loss or damage does not involve loss of intellectual property, only physical media, there is no cover for full purchase price.

That said, whenever I order DVDs (eg golf instruction, Ryder Cup, etc), customs duty is levied. I suppose the difference is this was software, the other stuff gets classified under entertainment items or some such. Just a guess as I really know nothing about customs tariffs, other than feeling it when I get clobbered.

Items under 20 USD tend to go through without any taxes.. Not sure if thats a fixed rule but works with my PO.