Battery Problem

robblok

I got a kawasaki vulcan and i think the battery might not get charged while driving. I run out of battery yesterday and im pretty sure id did not leave the lights burning or something like that. I cant start the thing now and i brought the battery to some shop to get charged.

How can i find out if the battery is not chargin ? and if its not charging what do i have to replace ?

a volt meter on the battery. before starting approx 12,7 volt. after engine started and running 1500rpm, between 13,8 and 14,4 volt, Charging good. a battery shop will normally check this for free

More than 14,4 volt hurts battery and burns it out quickly, replace regulator and battery. less than 14 volt alternator charge you will never have a fully charged battery.

If no voltmeter, but sufficient power in battery to start:

turn on headlight while ignition on and seeing headlight in mirror. start engine, and if headlight gets much brighter alternator is charging

a volt meter on the battery. before starting approx 12,7 volt. after engine started and running 1500rpm, between 13,8 and 14,4 volt, Charging good. a battery shop will normally check this for free

More than 14,4 volt hurts battery and burns it out quickly, replace regulator and battery. less than 14 volt alternator charge you will never have a fully charged battery.

turn on headlight while ignition on and seeing headlight in mirror. start engine, and if headlight gets much brighter alternator is charging

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell!

Your electrical system, apart from the loads, is a battery, voltage regulator and alternator.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell!

Your electrical system, apart from the loads, is a battery, voltage regulator and alternator.

Thanks guys.. im a noob at these kind of things and i think my current bikeshop is a bit too busy. They always seem to have many bikes there and not enough ppl working on them. The times i have to wait (weeks) can be real anoying. This way i can make sure they have the parts before they begin.

Just found out i cant do the light trick because my light wont turn on unless the engine is running. Unless it works with indicator lights too.

depending on your alternator and batterys condition, when increasing engine rpm from idle to 1500 rpm headlight should be brighter if alternator charging

a volt meter is only like 500 baht, and gives you info on how good alternator is charging. 13,8-14,4 volt is ok charging, measured on battery

If you want to be sure if your battery is still good, then go to a garage and they can test the quality of your battery.

They use a (liquid or electronic) tester with the colors green, yellow and red. If the liquid from the battery (liquid tester) shows not higher then the yellow color level, then you have to replace the battery.

Most batteries work (100%) only for about 2 years.

If the liquid in your battery is one time below minimum level, then your battery is damaged already.

Your battery life time is longer if:

1. Check the liquid of your battery every month.

2. Park your car if possible in the shadow.

3. Don't use the air-co if the windows are open

Pay a little more for a better battery. Most batteries imported from China are from poor quality.

Good luck

If you want to be sure if your battery is still good, then go to a garage and they can test the quality of your battery.

They use a (liquid or electronic) tester with the colors green, yellow and red. If the liquid from the battery (liquid tester) shows not higher then the yellow color level, then you have to replace the battery.

Most batteries work (100%) only for about 2 years.

If the liquid in your battery is one time below minimum level, then your battery is damaged already.

Your battery life time is longer if:

1. Check the liquid of your battery every month.

2. Park your car if possible in the shadow.

3. Don't use the air-co if the windows are open

Pay a little more for a better battery. Most batteries imported from China are from poor quality.

Good luck

replacing battery is a waste of money if alternator or regulator is malfunctioning

check your charging before considering new battery