Leaking Air Conditioner

wasaskater

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot!

I started renovating a condo a little less than a year ago...and bought 2 brand new airconditioners from a LG Dealer on Sukumvit Rd. About 3 weeks ago we finally finished the rooms...and turned on the air. One unit works perfect. The other leaks water out of the unit. I called the company...and they came the next day, and told me that the drain pipe was installed at an incline...but due to the holidays the contractor who installed it was in BKK. Since then we have made appointments and they keep canceling last minute. Any advice? I still have my original copys...etc.

Thanks in Advance!

You want to get advice on how to get a recalcitrant installer to come back and sort his shoddy installation or advice on how to get this simple problem fixed today?

Two different solutions; the last one depends on how much money you have and the former depends on how old you are.... or how good you may be at holding your breath and not popping your clogs.

On a quick note, the hardware may have a decent warranty but read the fine print on how much cover there is on the labour & installation. Then go with the solution for #2.

Edited by NanLaew

From what I see the duct tape won't help. Water won't run uphill in an incorrectly installed drain pipe. I'd be tempted just to bite the bullet and pay someone to come out and fix the drain, either that or rip your hair out waiting for the original installer to maybe come along sometime in the next few months to do it.

from what the installer said...he wants me to buy a machine to pump the water out...and cut holes in the new tray ceilings. I would also have to pay to clean it up and patch the holes. He won't name a price...which worries me. I was thinking of calling a place like NUMCHAI...but would that void the warrenty. Not that it is doing any good right now.

Also I have noticed that at some point of them shoving things under the unit...it is now leaning away from the pipe. Should I contact an LG service center?

Correction the company is Carrier...but they sold me LG units.

Let Numchai fix the problem and pay a little more.

I once purchased an LG unit from Lotus, they do not have their own fitters so a team of contracted cowboys came out and did the job. One problem after another with it, fingerprints all over the wall, poor cable run and eventually no gas in it after a couple of months.

Called Numchai the first thing they spotted was the pipes were aluminum insted of copper and they had developed holes letting the gas out, they replaced them with copper and cleaned up the sloppy cabling.

So now I would never think of buying an aircon from anywhere but Numchai.

Let Numchai fix the problem and pay a little more.

I once purchased an LG unit from Lotus, they do not have their own fitters so a team of contracted cowboys came out and did the job. One problem after another with it, fingerprints all over the wall, poor cable run and eventually no gas in it after a couple of months.

Called Numchai the first thing they spotted was the pipes were aluminum insted of copper and they had developed holes letting the gas out, they replaced them with copper and cleaned up the sloppy cabling.

So now I would never think of buying an aircon from anywhere but Numchai.

Thanks...I wasn't sure if they worked on units purchased somewhere else...now I know. The guys that came out here did use copper...but like you said "Cowboys"...they seemed to have a lot of trouble measuring and cutting the pipe around corners and such. PS: Do you remeber how much the charged to look...

Thanks everyone for the advice!

No can not remember the cost, maybe 400 or 500 baht but I had to buy new copper pipes, making the 'good buy' air con from Lotus not such a good buy after all.

Go to their shop, the aircon service center is at the back in a separate building off the car park, the girls in there will give you a rough idea I am sure.

You have one of 2 problems.

1. As you say the air con is fitted incorectly and the water is not running out of the pipe correctly and coming back into your unit/home.

To fix this problem lift the opposite end of the air con and 2 if the drain pipe is higher than the drain pipe cut a section out of the pipe and lower it.

2. It needs re gassing, if an air con is out of gas it will form a lot of condensation on the cooling fins and leak back into the unit/home. Contact the agent and have them come out and do a gas check for leaks and once fixed fixed and re gassed it would be OK.

If all else fails contact the dealer and let them know you are taking them to court over the damage the water is causing to your unit/home, and for the shoddy workmanship re the installation as it is their contractors that did the work. I will guarantee they will be there in no time. :)