Phuket Blues Festival

Tonyks

Once again the potential for a great and internationally recognised Blues festival has been missed. Admittedly Charlie Musselwhite is an acknowledged legend of the blues and is worth travelling a long way to see. Most of the rest of the line-up, unfortunately, is full of mediocrity. Having lost the generous sponsorship of Hotel Travel the Festival has struggled to maintain a good enough standard and relies on fill-ins. What's annoying is that this need not be so. There is a wealth of talent here on Puckett who could lift the game by leaps and bounds. The most obvious error in my humble opinion is the omission of The Colin 'Illy' Hill Band. Here is an Australian 'name' who has put a lot of energy into keeping excellent music live on Phuket and excites audiences wherever they go. His exclusion is a travesty.

Robert's Band (Robert's Bar - Karon) is another band who merit mention and should be included. Following on from the embarrassment which was last year's schedule. A mishmash of poorness topped by the cringing set which was the 'tribute' to Jimi Hendrix. I hope Jimi was listening to his iPod in heaven at the time.

The line up for this year should be pruned to George Cordeiro (USA) & The Fai Jang Blues Gang, The Groove Doctors (without Jimmy Fame who should really concentrate on writing books) and Charlie Musselwhite. Bringing back Cannonball, Eric Bibb and Mitch Woods would also be a masterstroke. Rich Harper, although a lovely guy and a talented musician, has now reached the point where a rest would be beneficial for both.

I'm sure that local companies would be willing to 'sponsor' a band and, with the correct marketing, this could be mutually beneficial to both parties. As it is the party is a damp squid which needs lifting by the tentacles into something Phuket should be proud of.

I know of many ideas that have been floated regarding the upgrade of the festival such as local Thai bands in the afternoon, a 'battle of the bands' for the early evening and then 2 or 3 big names to round off the nights. Performing artists of all types sharing their talent during the day is another option. With the demise of the Phuket Fringe Festival here is a chance to show off what Phuket has to offer.

I do enjoy and support the festival every year but it is a great opportunity missed in my opinion.

They need to bring back the Soi Dogs Blues Band from BKK!

I agree completely. Jeff T and the boys are an excellent band and 2 years ago they were, for me, one of the highlights of the festival. Someone, somewhere must be willing to sponsor their return surely?

We all know that it's a money thing and I am sure the organisers do their utmost to get sponsorship for this event which, as the OP said, could be so much better. If Charlie Musselwhite draws a bigger crowd than the last couple of events then maybe potential sponsors will take note.

If you look at it, the headline act is getting a bit bigger every year but I don't think we'll ever be seeing BB King.

I notice that Thai Airways are the main sponsor this year.

Last I heard they lost Ricky Zen as the MC. Shame. He did a fine job in previous years. I probably won't attend this year.

Ricky was saying at the end of the last one that it's hard work as the MC so he wasn't going to do it anymore plus the fact he'd opened his new bar.

I'll be away for this one so I'll miss Charlie Musselwhite. Typical!

what a good article, you are spot on. i have been to all the blues festivals since it started.

this is exactly what it needs to kick start it again, poeple like robert and colin hill deseve a chance for sure. the festival without canonball is a big mistake. the groove doctors will always perform and prove they are still 1 of the most talented local bands[especially without mr fame] take some advice andy its always good to listen to . the fans opinions.

I like blues .may the entrance fee is high.how can i bring my thai friends our motorcycleclub with me.carabao 100 baht.I would mix it with a thaiheadliner too.check out Santipaap .maybe mix it with a bikeparty together.we heard the concert outside karon.i would make the concert at the small airport in pha klok.if ever shemekia copeland come Heroes end mc comes sure.the band in rockin angels also fit.Brian Setzer too.mabe supergulu ,from the picture every week in the gazette knows some vips beside naomi.

I like blues .may the entrance fee is high.how can i bring my thai friends our motorcycleclub with me.carabao 100 baht.I would mix it with a thaiheadliner too.check out Santipaap .maybe mix it with a bikeparty together.we heard the concert outside karon.i would make the concert at the small airport in pha klok.if ever shemekia copeland come Heroes end mc comes sure.the band in rockin angels also fit.Brian Setzer too.mabe supergulu ,from the picture every week in the gazette knows some vips beside naomi.

I watched the blues festival a number of years ago and it was a bit lame. Mainly geriatric farang bands well past their use-by-date. If I was Van Gogh I would have cut my other ear off.

However, Thai's trying to sing in English is much worse. The best bands were/are come from the Pines. Filipinos at least can articulate the words with some clarity.

I watched the blues festival a number of years ago and it was a bit lame. Mainly geriatric farang bands well past their use-by-date. If I was Van Gogh I would have cut my other ear off.

However, Thai's trying to sing in English is much worse. The best bands were/are come from the Pines. Filipinos at least can articulate the words with some clarity.

Philippine bands tend to be technically accurate but without soul. I question their pronunciation abilities! There are many excellent bands around (Colin Hill Band , as previously mentioned) that can be used instead.

I agree with moving it away from the Hilton.

In years past I always would show up around 10 or so as 3 hours seems to be enough for me.

However this year charging for both nights will probably put a lot of people off. They need to rethink the ticket strategy and offer single day tickets.

Sure Who's daft idea was it to charge for both nights. This is supposed to be for charity? Anyone any idea waht percentage goes to it. Would be nice to know. Maybe people would come, you nedd some pros marketing this event for you Andy......

Complain, complain, complain! Why don't you whiners do something constructive in stead? Like calling Andy and offer your help! If you had any idea of the time and money something like this requires, you'd bea lot more appreciative of someone who is really trying. Nobody's perfect, and the more heads, etc. so stand up and contribute! :)

Complain, complain, complain! Why don't you whiners do something constructive in stead? Like calling Andy and offer your help! If you had any idea of the time and money something like this requires, you'd bea lot more appreciative of someone who is really trying. Nobody's perfect, and the more heads, etc. so stand up and contribute! :)

a) These are opinions and free speech is a right.

:D How do you know we haven't already offered?

c) Andy doesn't need help to ask Colin Hill to play or sell separate tickets.

d) These forums are full of whingers, it's what forums are for.

Hi folks,

Having finally succeeded in logging on to this forum, please allow me to set a few things straight.

As correctly noted by Ed it takes a lot of time and money to put this together. Sponsorship money this year is at the lowest level ever, and ANY help in marketing and ticket sales therefore is greatly appreciated, let there be no mistake about it. If you want to see this event continue, please come forward and help out.

I am not in favor of a "battle of the bands" type music event, which has been suggested to enhance the Festival. I believe (yes, my opinion) that most self-respecting musicians would not participate in such, and it would not attract the level of bands we aspire to employ for the Festival. Furthermore, it would not be possible to stage this or any other local band performance during the early hours, as afternoon time is occupied by sound checks. Six bands each night requires all afternoon for sound checks and leaves no time for other types of musical entertainment.

I will discuss Any aspect of the Festival with Anyone at Any time. Call me at 086 682 2639 and identify yourself and we will have a sensible and hopefully constructive exchange.

Andy Andersen

I don't disagree with all the OP's comments but I think the bottom fell out of sponsorship after the airport closure last year and the recession which must make it hard to raise funds to put on events like this. At least it manages to keep going, unlike the Samui Music Festival which blew itself after only one year of importing famous bands at vast expense and got virtually nil ticket sales.

Re Cannonball, I believe it was on the original schedule but they are not really playing as a band any more as Keith is too busy trying to make a go of his Irish bar on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and they pulled out of their own volition. Agreed that Jimi Fame should stick to writing. He is a nice guy but his vague approximations of Hendrix are less than a tribute to real Hendrix lovers. Soi Dogs has only recently reformed with a new rhythm section and are doing good again but they took a break for nearly a year without a gig after Tokyo's Joes in Bangkok went bust and weren't playing as a band when the schedule was put together.

[hi thanks for a good update on whats happening, good to be informed,good luck to the 2010 blues festival, there is a lot of hard work gone into this especially without big sponsorship, not easy.

i think the venue is good,plenty of space easy parking etc,probably without the help of the hilton, the festival may of not survived,thanks andy for you replys, lets all]be positive and tell everyone and get down there and support it[/b]

Hi All;

As a member of RetroVision, a newbie band in the festival, all I can say is that I am excited as hel_l at the prospect of playing at this year's festival. The fact that the event is running at all is a testimony to the determination of the organizers, and sure, we would all love to see top global acts there. However, in this severely harsh economy it is tough to get sponsorship for anything even in Bangkok, let alone Phuket.

You want top acts? Go get 'em. Help out the organizers and pitch in. Raise sponsorship so ticket sales are not needed. Be a part of it. Contribute your time and your brainpower. Big talk from a wanke_r musician, right? What am I doing about it? I believe in live music. I am playing for free and I am paying my own way and my own hotels. I consider it an honour to have a playing slot at ths event and I hope that people show up to support us and the Festival.

So, come out and sing along - I'll be the fat bastard playing bass, happy to be there.

Hi Andy,

please know that those of us in Phuket have always appreciated your efforts toward this music fest. We need more of this type of thing in Phuket and I sympathize with the economic predicaments you've encountered, in my professional life here I have been subject to the same.

My only comment is that it's always called the Phuket Blues Festival, but ends up a lot of the bands bust into Rock and Roll. Why not call it The Phuket Music festival and open it to all types of music? I believe this would help with sponsorship and attendance. Maybe the first day could be Reggae/Hip Hop (get the younger people out), and the second day could be Rock and Blues (for us geezers).

Cheers Andy and thank you for your efforts.

Hi Andy,

please know that those of us in Phuket have always appreciated your efforts toward this music fest. We need more of this type of thing in Phuket and I sympathize with the economic predicaments you've encountered, in my professional life here I have been subject to the same.

My only comment is that it's always called the Phuket Blues Festival, but ends up a lot of the bands bust into Rock and Roll. Why not call it The Phuket Music festival and open it to all types of music? I believe this would help with sponsorship and attendance. Maybe the first day could be Reggae/Hip Hop (get the younger people out), and the second day could be Rock and Blues (for us geezers).

According the website it's now officially known as the Phuket International Blues Rock Festival.

Edited by Arkady

Hi Andy,

According the website it's now officially known as the Phuket International Blues Rock Festival.

As I have said previously I enjoy the PIBRF and I would like to say a big 'Thank You' to Andy for making it happen. I was very fortunate and honoured, last year, to be able to be part of the Groove Doctors set (which I thought was amazing - you may disagree). I hope that the Festival continues for many years and grows from strength to strength.

It s difficult to separate personal criticism from the publicised thoughts of people about an event that you organise and put a lot of effort into. I know this from my own past experiences. My initial intention was to offer constructive advice, not to slag off Andy and I apologise if he was offended in anyway.

I know from Colin that moves were made to include him this year but he is already committed to play elsewhere. This is something that can be built on for the next one. Let's listen and learn.

I can not be there this year but I do hope that it's a success and that the people of Phuket will rally round and support something which is still in its infancy, is a great idea, and has plenty of room to develop.

Keith has left Temples Irish Bar and is concentrating full-time on music again. Cannonball traveled to Saigon to play a large festival there last November. The fact that Cannonball isn't playing at the Phuket festival appears to have little to do with their availability but with a disagreement between the band and the festival organizer.

It's not just a matter of budget and availability, but taste. This festival is one man's vision of blues talent, and he is entitled to do it the way he wants. But I, too, have been less than overwhelmed with the artists who have been invited over the years. Most of the bands at the festival play covers. Plenty of other talent from around the globe has asked to be included. Powerhouse rock and blues guitarist/songwriter Mason Ruffner offered to play, for example, a couple of years ago. The organizer wasn't interested. The Banglampoo Blues Band, who have been playing the best blues in Bkk for nearly a decade, has just put out an album of original songs.

Keith has left Temples Irish Bar and is concentrating full-time on music again. Cannonball traveled to Saigon to play a large festival there last November. The fact that Cannonball isn't playing at the Phuket festival appears to have little to do with their availability but with a disagreement between the band and the festival organizer.

It's not just a matter of budget and availability, but taste. This festival is one man's vision of blues talent, and he is entitled to do it the way he wants. But I, too, have been less than overwhelmed with the artists who have been invited over the years. Most of the bands at the festival play covers. Plenty of other talent from around the globe has asked to be included. Powerhouse rock and blues guitarist/songwriter Mason Ruffner offered to play, for example, a couple of years ago. The organizer wasn't interested. The Banglampoo Blues Band, who have been playing the best blues in Bkk for nearly a decade, has just put out an album of original songs.

Hi folks,

I posted an entry here this morning, but now it has disappeared...well, Ill try again later, but for now a quick reply:

1. There is no disagreement between us and Cannonball, they simply declined the offer this time.

2. I have expensive taste in this music but not the money to pay for it. It is all about money, and we do the best we can without it.

3. Mason Ruffner has never contacted me as far as I can remember, please shed some light on the details, can you?

4. I have never heard of Banglampoo Blues Band and never heard from them. Where do they play?

Andy Andersen

Hi folks,

I posted an entry here this morning, but now it has disappeared...well, Ill try again later, but for now a quick reply:

1. There is no disagreement between us and Cannonball, they simply declined the offer this time.

2. I have expensive taste in this music but not the money to pay for it. It is all about money, and we do the best we can without it.

3. Mason Ruffner has never contacted me as far as I can remember, please shed some light on the details, can you?

4. I have never heard of Banglampoo Blues Band and never heard from them. Where do they play?

Andy Andersen

Andy, those are very reasonable responses and in the absence of counter-evidence for points 2 and 4, I withdraw my admittedly non-constructive criticism. On point 1, I've heard a different story but that's one man's word against another's. On point 3, I heard it second-hand, so probably the only one among us who knows for sure is Mason himself.

Agree that Banglampoo Blues Band is probably the best blues outfit in the country. You should definitely drop into Ad Here sometime, Wed-Sun. Another Bkk band to look out for is Snake Oil.

I wish you the best with future festivals, just about anything that supports live music in Thailand is good in my book :)