Thai Tuk-tuk V Indian Auto Rickshaw

Familyonthemove

The Indian auto-rickshaw is sometimes mistakenly called a ‘tuk-tuk’, but its origins and the user experience couldn’t be further from its Thai relative. Yes, they both have three wheels and are used to carry passengers, but that’s where the similarity ends.

The Thai word ‘tuk’ means inexpensive, which must be an example of Thai humour as the tuk-tuk is the most expensive way for tourists to travel in Bangkok. The Indian auto on the other hand is so cheap that when you calculate the wear and tear on your shoes, it’s cheaper than walking.

So here’s a comparison for fans of three wheeled thrills ....

Historical Origin:

Tuk-tuk –a motorised version of the ‘sam-loor’ (three-wheel) cycle rickshaw

Auto – a motorised version of dragging people around in old steel bucket

Engineering:

Tuk-tuk - Based on three wheel goods vehicle platform with single or twin twin cylinder water-cooled 4-stroke engine running on compressed gas

Auto – a cross between a motor scooter and a deranged bumblebee, runs on cooking gas or anything else inflammable and cheap. Comes with 2 or 4 stroke single cylinder engine borrowed from a leaf blower.

Seating capacity:

Tuk-tuk – four Thais or two tourists, or four Thais and two tourists on a night out in Nana

Auto – maximum capacity yet to be determined, but thought to be three large villages

Customer interface:

Tuk-tuk – after lengthy negotiations about the price the driver takes the passengers to the nearest tailors, jewellery workshop and snake farm before dropping them off at a go-go bar, even if you asked to go to your hotel.

Auto – you climb in and the driver immediately heads into the traffic in any direction chosen at random. Then by pointing, shouting and tapping on his shoulders you hopefully arrive at your destination. Speaking is not recommended as you will not be heard over the din of the screaming motor under your seat and Auto drivers speak a little known local language that mainly comprises grunting and spitting.

Navigational ability:

Tuk-tuk – the driver will know every tailor, jewellery workshop and bar on your route and he navigates based on the best commission.

Auto – knows every market, chai stall, bhel-puri cafe, airtel mobile top-up stand and short cut in the city, but has never heard of your hotel. Note that Taxi drivers will always ask the rickshaw-walla for directions ... just before getting lost.

Charging method:

Tuk-tuk – based on your nationality, clothing, accent and girlfriends tattoo quotient

Auto – based on an antique meter that seems to show random numbers, but never more than 20 Rs. so who cares.

Comfort:

Tuk-tuk– loud, fast and with suspension best described as ‘sporting’. If over 65 you should sit on your girlfriend to provide some shock absorption.

Auto – similar to being kicked down the road in an oil drum. Using 20 or 30 Indian school children to pack you in securely can help to minimise the spinal stress fractures.

Conclusion:

The Thai Tuk-tuk is an endangered species. It is no faster through Bangkok traffic than an air conditioned taxi and it cost more per mile than Concorde. Not recommended unless you have an urgent need for a tailor, jeweller etc

The Indian ‘auto’ provides the quickest and cheapest way to get around an Indian city whilst also allowing you to savour the sounds, smells and heat of India. A mini adventure every time you climb aboard. Highly recommended.

The thai word Tuk tuk does not mean cheap. I t refers to the sound of the engine.

Cheap in thai is thook with an aspirated t.

'

I always try and make a joke of it when drivers call out tuk-tuk' to me by replying 'pheng-pheng' (expensive). However I have got the feeling that they never understand the joke because 'tuk' sounds nothing like 'thook' to the Thai ear. (also a difference in tone).

By the way in Laos the small motorised tractors that have replaced the buffalo are called 'tok-tok' because of their engine sound.

The thai word Tuk tuk does not mean cheap. I t refers to the sound of the engine.

'

I always try and make a joke of it when drivers call out tuk-tuk' to me by replying 'pheng-pheng' (expensive). However I have got the feeling that they never understand the joke because 'tuk' sounds nothing like 'thook' to the Thai ear. (also a difference in tone).

By the way in Laos the small motorised tractors that have replaced the buffalo are called 'tok-tok' because of their engine sound.

'

Ah yes - I've seen (and heard) these single cylinder multi-purpose little 'tok-tok' tractors upcountry and in Cambodia and India ... they seem to be used for everything from ploughing fields, to pulling trailers and powering water pumps. Sort of a mechanical buffalo I suppose?

I've also heard the Daihatsu four wheeled mini-buses called 'bok-boks' because of the sound they make.

Great OP, everything said about the auto-rickshaw is spot on.

Here in Bangalore I use them all the time (no taxis worth speaking of), they now have electronic meters (that still display random numbers coz the power supply from the magneto is so crap), cheap, cheap. The 'orrible 2-strokers are supposed to be being phased out this year, we shall see.

The most I've seen in one (with a sign on the back stating '3 passengers max') was 9 schoolkids with bags etc. We've crammed 3 'large' farangs into one, the engine sounded decidedly unhappy going up hill and smelled rather hot when we alighted (driver got a decent tip as it was pissing down at the time).