Why Are Thai Visa's Members Obsessed With Western Food?

highonthai

This is a silly question. Many of us come from places where we ate a variety of cuisines all our lives. Being limited to only one kind of food is BORING, boring, BORING. Yes, Thai food is great. So are many other kinds of food. Here in Thailand, Thai food is food. You take it for granted. It's only natural.

Well, where I come from...America...a lot of Thai people I know are obsessed with finding good thai food/restaurants....so I really don't think there is anything wrong with it...

Besides, I think most people that are living here from other countries actually LOVEEEEE thai food, if they didn't then they probably would not have considered moving here in the first place...

Growing up eating certain things you just miss it...especially when you can't get it as easily as you used to.. When I was a kid I lived in North Carolina, then as i got older I moved to NYC, after I moved to NYC I missed the food in North Carolina...so I think that it is natural...

Food is one of lifes pleasures. If people want to discuss where to get certain food items, its up to them. Any threads that dont interest me, i stay out of. If you dont want to read, dont go in. :)

Why are Thai visa's members are so obsessed with western food?

Because western people are not "built" the same as Thai people, or Indonesian, or Chinese people.

The Asian food is not nutritious enough to feed the bone- and body structure for a full 100%; simply said.

Same-same the away around BTW.

But, a body can adapt over time.

LaoPo

I am not obsessed with western food, but I couldn't have rice to everything seven days a week, all the year around.

I cook western food, (Scandinavian) with potatoes etc. about three, four times a week. The rest of the time I'm eating Thai food, which my wife cook. My wife also like Scandinavian food (she is Thai).

I don't think I am obsessed with western food, do you?

Asian food not nutritious enough? That's the silliest thing I've heard in several hours.

Come on Jingthing, don't catch me on specific words...

I wrote: "The Asian food is not nutritious enough to feed the bone- and body structure for a full 100%" (for Westerners, since that's what the topic is all about.

Give me a normal Thai meal in the evening and I'm bloody starving 2-3 hours later. And I'm not the only one I suppose.

If it would be, Westerners would look the same as Asians, including size and bone structure. Or do you think a giant Marine of 6' 5 can survive on what a Thai of 5' 3 eats? :)

I might want to add that Thai sticky rice for instant is the least nutritious food there is; it fills the stomach but doesn't really help to grow (a child).

That's what I meant.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Still ridiculous. Eat a bigger portion. Asian food has it ALL.

Having one of your finest moments ?

Tell me, why are Asians -much- smaller than western people?

Nutrition ?

LaoPo

I am sure there are many factors, including genetics and diet. Many westerners would do well to be smaller, I don't see any advantage to large size except for specialized needs such as sumo wrestling or basketball.

In any case, I feel those that are obsessed with western food are not obsessed because they are always hungry without it or are yearning to maintain their large size. They obsess because of the flavors that they crave. Of course, habit has a lot to do with it. I have eaten a lot of Asian food most of my life, so like many Asians I feel weird if I go very long without a rice meal. Many westerners feel the same way physically about bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

Still ridiculous. Eat a bigger portion. Asian food has it ALL.

Having one of your finest moments ?

Tell me, why are Asians -much- smaller than western people?

Nutrition ?

LaoPo

I don't think it has anything with nutrition to do at all. They are just different from us. I have seen some very long and powerful Thai people. Bigger than the average European. They have never been eating anything else than Thai food.

No Thai living away from Thailand are obsessed with Thai food. I stopped trying to fix dinner when my wife is working late because I know she'll just see what I made and then make her own dinner. Me, I'll eat what ever is put in front of me.

Well, where I come from...America...a lot of Thai people I know are obsessed with finding good thai food/restaurants....so I really don't think there is anything wrong with it...

:) Very True & funny also that they usually can never find any good ones in the US....Since like most other nationalities foods sold in countries outside of its origin....the food has been adjusted to the palate of where it is sold.

I am sure there are many factors, including genetics and diet. Many westerners would do well to be smaller, I don't see any advantage to large size except for specialized needs such as sumo wrestling or basketball.

In any case, I feel those that are obsessed with western food are not obsessed because they are always hungry without it or are yearning to maintain their large size. They obsess because of the flavors that they crave. Of course, habit has a lot to do with it. I have eaten a lot of Asian food most of my life, so like many Asians I feel weird if I go very long without a rice meal. Many westerners feel the same way physically about bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.

I think it is the quality of a lot of Thai food and way meat is butchered is where the problem lies? If I order a chicken curry at home I get breast meat here I get legs, skin and bones. Like you I have eaten a lot of different foods from different countries the difference is they are made with better quality produce.

I have given up trying to get a steak!! BTW if anyone out there wants a good Indian curry and are in CM try 'The Spice' it is located down by the night bazaar food hall.

As a matter of interest how long is it before you feel weird because you haven't had a rice meal? And what is a rice meal? Is it something with beef, pork, chicken or prawn?

I am always looking for good Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Middle-Eastern and Mexican food as well because I have grown to love all of them. Why limit yourself to only one cuisine when the world has so many?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thai food, only thai food, day and night, full of MSG, pretty boring.

Eat sometimes, as I eat Italian, mexican, chinese, etc etc

I don't understand and I don't like the thai food fanatics ( you live in Thailand, why don't you eat thai? :) )

Just freedom of choice, and VARIETY.

But, after all, QUALITY, not QUANTITY.

As a kid in the late '60's, I was privy to a conversation between my dad and a Chinese friend. They were discussing immigration to Europe (HK had just come out of the violent 1967 riots, a blowback from the Cultural Revolution across the border, and many were concerned about communists overrunning the British Colony). The Chinese guy said he would never move to Europe. Why? Because they have no rice there; he could never live without rice.

Before the almost complete Westernization of HK, eating bread—or 'meen bpaw'— was often prefaced with the word 'ngai' as in 'ngai meen bpaw' —to suffer bread. "I had to suffer bread because I didn't have time/money to have a proper meal" (that is, a meal with rice).

Food is important, not the quantity, but the quality of it, the variety of it and the people one shares it with. In our youth we thoughtlessly rushed through meals. It takes getting older to realize the true importance of meals and it's accompaniments, which include bonding and the evocation of memories to name two.

That is why so many of us obsess about food, western or otherwise.

If you think Thai food is boring (bland or whatever), you haven't been eating in the right places. More variety than I've seen with any other cuisine Maybe get off the sidewalk and try a real restaurant.

Regarding not being full...Eat more. Typical Western meal has 3-5 courses. Try eating 3-5 courses of Thai dishes and tell me you're hungry again 2 hours later. Won't happen.

If you think Thai food is boring (bland or whatever), you haven't been eating in the right places. More variety than I've seen with any other cuisine Maybe get off the sidewalk and try a real restaurant.

Regarding not being full...Eat more. Typical Western meal has 3-5 courses. Try eating 3-5 courses of Thai dishes and tell me you're hungry again 2 hours later. Won't happen.

I don't know if you were replying to my comment, or not. I never meant to imply that Thai food is boring. Of course there is a lot of variety within Thai food. However, eating Thai food all the time, everyday IS boring to many people like myself who have never in their lives been restricted to one nationality of food. Why should people do that here if you don't want to? Is this some kind of Thai-ier than Thai food fetish? Move to Thailand, you must eat only Thai food and denigrate those who choose not to for WHATEVER reason? It's bloody ridiculous. Eat what you want, people.