Mobilephone

qig

Hello, I want to buy a mobildephone in thailand, because I am here for more than two monthes, and I want to write and get emails with it. When I have got an email, I want the phone ringing or give me some tone. It should be no contract.

What would you recommend? What shall I do, where should I go. At the moment I am in Chiang Mai. Should I use a special service?

Thank you very much for your information!

Klaus

Edited by qig

• 2 months later...

You don't even need a smart phone or an expensive one to do this!

Just about anything other then the cheapest budget phones will be able to receive and send emails, but I would go for a middle of the road popular model (check the email capability when you buy.)

Because when here you will need a Thai service provider (DTAC or AIS to configure your phone for internet access. they do this be simply sending you an SMS which then automatically configures your phone. If you have an obscure, expensive or exotic phone then they won't be able to do this and you will need to find someone to set it up by hand.

The other aspect is what sort of email you have.

If you have a POP account (ie [email protected]) then you might find it isn't possible. You phone will need to have POP email capability.

BUT if you have a gmail, hotmail or yahoo email address then there will be no problems with any phone. as long as you can get onto the internet you can access these websites.

R

Pretty much all the 'smart phones' these days will easily do what you want.

My old Nokia N95 was easy to set up for email and so is my current N97, the N97 is far more user friendly though as it has a keyboard.

Have a look round Siam Phone.com and see what tickles your fancy.