Isaan Food Appreciation Thread...

Totster

Hi,

What makes my mouth water? Apart from my WIfe? :o

Many and varied things, such as the ever faithful Som Tam Thai, Ginger Chicken (Phat Gai King), Chicken Salad (Laab Gai), Green Curry with Pork (Gaeng Keow Waan Muu), Mee Grob and even the deserts, Sticky Rice and Mango (Khao Nieow Ma Muang).

There are fat too many to mention but I love Thai food and very rarely eat anything else.

Falcon

Two total Favourites

number 1.... My wife's Issan style B-B-Q pork, everything is so fresh, the complexity and depth of flavour, it is so good. Makes the 400km drive worth it.

number 2. the Number 2 Breakfast at Lampards boozer. Just right, tastes fantastic. Its normally the only time I allow myself to eat western food.

Isaan food is great when you share the task with your wife. We cooked a Green Curry together; mine was Thai style,hers was Isaan style. We only needecd one chicken. I used the breast and thighs,she used the head and the feet. :o

noone has mentioned isan sausage. sai kok isan.

pork, garlic, rice, and the secret herbs.

omigod

xtg

I prefer the pork sausages that are kind of squarish in shape... no rice mixed with them, think you can eat them raw... although I fry them...

Also got a thing for the sweet cured pork sausages too... :D

totster :o

DD683,

Have you tried the scorpion ? 

I am told it tastes like prawns but I don't have the courage to try it..

My mate got a bag of scorpions in BKK, after my wife had showed him what part to eat he proceeded to eat the lot.... he said they tasted great.. he was a little drunk though. :o

totster :D

What makes my mouth water is the sour, salty,spicy Lao Spagetti that my friend Daneng's mother makes for me at her little stall in front of her furniture store here in Ban Thaen. Truely a treat but not for the new comer "Chok Lek" they call it. One may eat the "Goi" or gall bladder in the Pukieo area and drink some really cold beer. Served in little earthenware cookers . A real Issan "Bitter as gall treat." Larb made from the Boa Constrictor was a pretty good treat ..my good friend here in the village use to have a Thai restaurant in Grandbury,Texas and is retired in the village here and is always looking for a new menu. Eating Matsuman,Larb,Goi,Papaya Salads are the common staples . Some mornings I prepare some carrot cakes and cinnimon rolls. Some neighbors add to the breakfasts with ther various insects MengDa ya know the long one....not bad , crickets I see plenty of in the U.S. but don't care for, can eat just about anything that won't eat me first. We had last fall plent of sticky rice and BBQ chicken Ki Yaang and what is especially nice is the big 55 gallon smoker used to cook it in and a meat grinder for the pla som small river fish ground up with the sticky rice and then fried. Turtle,Frogs,Kiaat, Pork,Fish, Khung,Dog Ribs from Nakon Sakon,well that's another story. Vietnamese,Lao,Musalim food like the Roti in the Chang Mai Area Roti Matsaman Sap!!!!Khow Soi spell?One thing especially interesting is the Paduk Foo the fluffy catfish SAP SAP SAP!!!!!!!The Southern food are spicier and they have excellent Sapparot with their salads Tom Som cause we eat every day when traveling and the sen len and sen yai and sen bu mee soups fast foods. Well thats it for now ...Bon Appetite!!!!!!!!!

Edited by davidmmurin

Pla Som,Larb,Curries(green,red,yellow) Matsumans,Goi,Noodles (large or small),Lao Spagetti,Meat is usually tough unless young tenderloin marinated then dried and fried with sticky rice..yummy. Desserts are nice with khoneeo and mango steamed Khow Tom..Soups are great!!How about Blood..No problem!!!!!!!!Sap Baw

Pla Som,Larb,Curries(green,red,yellow) Matsumans,Goi,Noodles (large or small),Lao Spagetti,Meat is usually tough unless young tenderloin marinated then dried and fried with sticky rice..yummy. Desserts are nice with khoneeo and mango steamed Khow Tom..Soups are great!!How about Blood..No problem!!!!!!!!Sap Baw

Saep Yuu...!! :o

• 2 weeks later...
We only needecd one chicken. I used the breast and thighs,she used the head and the feet. :D

:o:D

By the way just coming back to the topic of sausage today ..How about the Mum!!! Issan sausage not Chinese style. I don't like the sweet Chinese sausages. The stick rice and pork or sticky rice and fish (pla som) now to me these are Saep Lai.

Isaan food is great when you share the task with your wife. We cooked a Green Curry together; mine was Thai style,hers was Isaan style. We only needecd one chicken. I used the breast and thighs,she used the head and the feet. :D

What did you do with the rest of it.? :o

stuffed phak tong flowers filled with knife chopped meat (whatever was slaughtered that day and was not a 'spring chicken' anymore and herbs

raw liver freshly aquired and dipped in nam prik followed by lao

fried dried sweet fish (the homemade ones not the prepackaged things)

basically anything 'cept the pig intestines, as long as it doesnt crawl too fast from my fingers....

the stuff in bamboo sticks sold on the side of the road forgot the name

big difference between fresh slaughtered and frozen, and machine ground and knife chopped

hate anything 'khum' (bitter) like when they squeeze the juice of the gallbladder into the namprik; i like things priouo (sour) and spicey.... i've beensent all over jerusalem to buy a fresh cow's gallbladder, not an easy thing to find...., and cow's feet , and cow's head...

once we got stopped at a routine police barrier (i'm in israel remember) and everyone had their visa papers ready. the cops opened the back of the pickup and saw :D:o hooves and a tongue hanging out of a plastic bag; that made their day

Edited by bina

Isaan food is great when you share the task with your wife. We cooked a Green Curry together; mine was Thai style,hers was Isaan style. We only needecd one chicken. I used the breast and thighs,she used the head and the feet. :D

What did you do with the rest of it.? :D

Made Tom Gai probably ... :D

the stuff in bamboo sticks sold on the side of the road forgot the name

Do you mean the one stuffed with aome sort of sticky rice... very tasty...can't remember what it is called though... :o

yep, sticky rice, ghatee, and 'meat'.... found it was very handy to eat while on back of motocyc...http://www.thaivisa.com/gallery/animals-are-us/IMG_0247

still dont know how to do the images etc thing.......but picture of the food stall on road to udonthani

Edited by bina