Good Bicycle Shop In Pattaya?

Tokay

• 4 months later...

Just wondering... what price range are you looking at for half decent mountain bike.. mixture of light trails / road.. just to get fit so won't be ripping down any mountains or anything...opt for disk brakes or standard.. full suspension back and front ? what size ?

... went to one shop in Theprasit few weeks ago (same side as the chopper shops) hoping the guy could be a bit of help but completely blanked me as he was too busy on facebook or something..

cheers

Just wondering... what price range are you looking at for half decent mountain bike.. mixture of light trails / road.. just to get fit so won't be ripping down any mountains or anything...opt for disk brakes or standard.. full suspension back and front ? what size ?

... went to one shop in Theprasit few weeks ago (same side as the chopper shops) hoping the guy could be a bit of help but completely blanked me as he was too busy on facebook or something..

cheers

Numchai is the bike shop to go to for sure. The big C bikes will rust out within 6 months 3000 baht each both were losers. To the poster who thinks his bike has real shimanos on a 3000 baht bike. They are opies for sure. My delores were close to 10,000 baht for my rear derailer upgrade on my Giant XTC Just the rear derailer.

A good bike at Numchai will run 10,000 -18,000 baht pending on what you like. The owner can get you a world class bike upwards to 180,000 Giant with all the trimings like the Giant I had in the U.S. Unless you are world class rider the 10,000 baht up bikes are very nice. And the owner is a rider. I see him in Bang Saray once a week with tours. He also will trade you parts Like your original seat back for an upgrade will toss in a freebie or if you talk with him. when your done with the bike , he will buy it back or upgrade with your old bike as a trade in. Out of the shops he rocks on selection and price. My girlfriend is always on hers now . I was but since I got my 650 Kawasaki guess which bike I ride more. I don't think I would like riding in Pattaya city much. Hard enough on a motorcycle....especially with all the noobs living here since BKK flooded they moved here.

I visited Numchai today based on all the positive feedback. As mentioned there are 2 shops but the one by the pedestrian walkover is bigger and has a very large selection. I went specifically for a Trek bike but the owner (Neung)said they were not a Trek dealer and had no bikes. Being tall I require a large size and he had a few bikes that would meet my needs. They had Giant, Haro, and a few brands I have never heard of. One was called Wheeler which caught my eye but at 30,000 baht I want to do more research. Anybody know anything about this brand (Wheeler), it had a full compliment of Shimano components with an Italian (Marzocchi) front fork/shock?

I visited Numchai today based on all the positive feedback. As mentioned there are 2 shops but the one by the pedestrian walkover is bigger and has a very large selection. I went specifically for a Trek bike but the owner (Neung)said they were not a Trek dealer and had no bikes. Being tall I require a large size and he had a few bikes that would meet my needs. They had Giant, Haro, and a few brands I have never heard of. One was called Wheeler which caught my eye but at 30,000 baht I want to do more research. Anybody know anything about this brand (Wheeler), it had a full compliment of Shimano components with an Italian (Marzocchi) front fork/shock?

Trek bikes at SV bikes.

middle of thepprasit road

i am in patts right now and looking for something like this kinda of cheap:

wheels 28' will do. will go for 29' or 30' (someone doing this here?)

frame: giant or similar.

gears: grip-shift. shimano works for me.

brakes: whatsoever

any bargains out there?

Edited by JakeBKK

Trek bikes at SV bikes.

http://www.wheelerworldwide.com/aboutus.htm

"Central Pattaya road about soi 10. Good bike shop run by an older couple who do the work together and/or with their son. Friendly and competent."

I think maybe you mean about soi 12? On the north side of Central Road, about half way between Second Road and Third Road? Between Royal Century Hotel and the 7/11 at the corner of soi 12?

If that's the one you mean, I've been in a couple of times recently. They tell me they don't sell bikes. I guess they only repair them.

any bargains out there?

Check out CH. Numchai on Sukhumvit Rd. They have a large selection of Giants and Haros with Shimano components, but if you are really tall then we have to special order.

Trek bikes at SV bikes.

http://www.wheelerworldwide.com/aboutus.htm

Thanks I discovered this site too. Does anyone have any personal experience with Wheeler? It is a European brand I believe. The Numchai owner said the Treks you buy in Asia are not the same as in USA as the frame is manufactured in China.

I know Numchai very well, used to export Camelbak to him from Singapore

Many of the Trek frames are made by Giant, who are the largest single manufacture in Taiwan, Giant make many other brands but who makes what changes every year after the bike show in Taiwan. I don't know which factory makes Wheeler but they have been around a long time, good product nicely speced out.

Only a few factories sell their own name like Giant and Pacific most do badge engineering, for example Pacific Cycle make for Muddy Fox UK.

It is pretty unusual to get a full Shimano groupset on a bike, usually the front and rear derailiur will be Shimano and the parts you don't look at will be generic Taiwan products. Check the hubs, they are usually generic, a simple test is to lift up the bike and spin the wheel you can easily feel any graunching from a bad hub through the frame. Lift the front end and move the handlebars, again any roughness can easily be felt by putting your fingers on the headstock.

Marzocchi are one of the leading MTB fork manufactures, they used to do only oil filled shocks which are far superior to anything else such as spring or elastomer but maybe now they do cheaper forks I don't know.

Pedals are often cheap and nasty with poor bearings as well, get a small upgrade to a Welgo pedal with better bearings.

How do I know all this? In another life I was an importer and exporter of MTBs through Singapore into South East Asia, I also had five retail outlets on the Island.

any bargains out there?

Check out CH. Numchai on Sukhumvit Rd. They have a large selection of Giants and Haros with Shimano components, but if you are really tall then we have to special order.

I went to Numchai today, and yes they have a good selection, but the Lady in charge has a poor atttitude and really was not helpful at all, I wanted some good make new tyres, (Ie Kenda etc) she was just not interested.

I also wanted my disc brakes hydraulics bled, they were not willing to do, just said "buy new Shimano's...good price!"

SV bikes are smaller but much more helpful...a pity!

any bargains out there?

I went to Numchai today, and yes they have a good selection, but the Lady in charge has a poor atttitude and really was not helpful at all, I wanted some good make new tyres, (Ie Kenda etc) she was just not interested.

I also wanted my disc brakes hydraulics bled, they were not willing to do, just said "buy new Shimano's...good price!"

My experience was just the opposite. You may have spoken with owner's mother at the 2nd shop. Talk to the owner, Neung, he was very helpful. When I was in the SV shop (twice) the staff would not even get out of their chairs to offer assistance.

I know Numchai very well, used to export Camelbak to him from Singapore

Many of the Trek frames are made by Giant, who are the largest single manufacture in Taiwan, Giant make many other brands but who makes what changes every year after the bike show in Taiwan. I don't know which factory makes Wheeler but they have been around a long time, good product nicely speced out.

Only a few factories sell their own name like Giant and Pacific most do badge engineering, for example Pacific Cycle make for Muddy Fox UK.

It is pretty unusual to get a full Shimano groupset on a bike, usually the front and rear derailiur will be Shimano and the parts you don't look at will be generic Taiwan products. Check the hubs, they are usually generic, a simple test is to lift up the bike and spin the wheel you can easily feel any graunching from a bad hub through the frame. Lift the front end and move the handlebars, again any roughness can easily be felt by putting your fingers on the headstock.

Marzocchi are one of the leading MTB fork manufactures, they used to do only oil filled shocks which are far superior to anything else such as spring or elastomer but maybe now they do cheaper forks I don't know.

Pedals are often cheap and nasty with poor bearings as well, get a small upgrade to a Welgo pedal with better bearings.

How do I know all this? In another life I was an importer and exporter of MTBs through Singapore into South East Asia, I also had five retail outlets on the Island.

This was a most helpful post. Thanks.

• Like 1

Went to Numchai yesterday and was a bit over-whelmed with the selection they had... asked the lady for something for 10 k thereabouts.. she pointed out a few and picked out a 'mongoose'.. looks alright with cable/disk brakes front & back ..was tempted to go for another brand with hydraulic brakes but probably is a complication i don't need..was a few k more.

Rode it 5 km home in peak afternoon heat but pretty happy with it, only problem was the seat is hard as !!.. not sure if i got it too high or what ? its about level with the handle-bars ? ....going to have change it or buy padded shorts something ..(can't remember having this problem 20 years ago so maybe just getting old )

Went to Numchai yesterday and was a bit over-whelmed with the selection they had... asked the lady for something for 10 k thereabouts.. she pointed out a few and picked out a 'mongoose'.. looks alright with cable/disk brakes front & back ..was tempted to go for another brand with hydraulic brakes but probably is a complication i don't need..was a few k more.

Rode it 5 km home in peak afternoon heat but pretty happy with it, only problem was the seat is hard as !!.. not sure if i got it too high or what ? its about level with the handle-bars ? ....going to have change it or buy padded shorts something ..(can't remember having this problem 20 years ago so maybe just getting old )

Dec if you just bought the bike take the seat back ask Neung if he will swap you out for a gel pack seat. Way more comfortable. We had him swap out the seats , the peddles so the sharks wouldn't bite our feet wearing sandals. He gave us the air pumps and water bottle for free a two for one on the bike bags under the seat for keys phones such. if it isn't worn looking he will trade you for what you want.

farkin hell.. just did a 10 k spin today and will definitely have to do something about the seat.. just ordered gel shorts from ebay, see there is a good selection of gel cushions as well... might call back to the shop and see if they stock them or else will order one..(don't really expect them to swop it unless i requested before i left the shop).

Didn't bikes just have hard plastic for seats 20 years ago.. how come they didn't hurt ??

The saddle need to be so high so your leg is completely stretched in the down position,

its the hand bars you will want to adjust, up.

On your sore arse, this might help

This sort of bike you can't buy in Thailand. Only mountain and racing bikes for small people. 26" max. I imported a Centurion from Germany, 28" and 61cm frame. Doesn't get any bigger.

I think that despite being the smallest shop, LA bikes is the best. The stocky guy who owns it is one of the best repairmen I ever met, fixes at once when you come with a broken bike, and is absolutely reliable when he has to order a part, and you leave your bike at the shop. 2 days max. Bad luck when his deputy is in the shop, though, that one is incompetent. Can patch a puncture, and that's about it. Small collection of new bikes, always a couple of thousands cheaper than in SV nearby. I don't get along well with the woman of this shop, talking to her is like barking up a tree.

• Like 1

Ah ! i always thought it weird to see thais bicycle around with their knees around their ears,

i thought they didnt know better, but it is unavailability of decent sized bikes then.

This isn't true. You can get any bike size here in Thailand. Any size at all.

• 1 month later...

I will buy an electric bicycle in Pattaya , and have been recommended LA Bicycle :

http://la-eride.com/2013/

Anyone know the address in Pattaya ?

Also are there other brands available , I know about another company that makes them , but they are not using the latest technology.

I will buy an electric bicycle in Pattaya , and have been recommended LA Bicycle :

Also are there other brands available , I know about another company that makes them , but they are not using the latest technology.

Numchai sells LA as does the shop on Theprassit opposite soi 17 a hundred meters further to the Jomtien side, I doubt they have stock of this.

I recently bought 2 LA mountain bikes and found the Chonburi dealer be about 20% cheaper as both Pattaya dealers.

Look at the LA Bicycle website and call them, they speak English, they can point you to a shop that has stock.

Numchai sells LA as does the shop on Theprassit opposite soi 17 a hundred meters further to the Jomtien side, I doubt they have stock of this.

I recently bought 2 LA mountain bikes and found the Chonburi dealer be about 20% cheaper as both Pattaya dealers.

Look at the LA Bicycle website and call them, they speak English, they can point you to a shop that has stock.

LA in pattaya (Thepprasit) and the one in Rayong dont keep stocks of Electric bikes.

Thanks I will call them , I think they have plenty of electric bikes in stock in Bangkok so should be a quick delivery , price is around 25k so not sure if its possible to get a discount.

• 7 months later...

any bargains out there?

I agree - that woman at Numchai has an appalling attitude. I'll be refusing to deal with her in future.

But Neung is okay - as is the other guy (taller than Neung) who also deals with customers, speaks English, and is often around when Neung isn't.

• Like 1