Certifying Passport

I am opening a bank account in the UK and they need a 'certified copy' of my passport. Fair enough. I had a certified copy made a few years back and got charged 2000 baht!!!!

As I dont want to get robbed again - could someone please advise the best place to go in Pattaya to do this.

Could this be done at my local bank??? I am with Kasikorn.

What is a reasonable price do you think???

Thanks very much for your help

Usually this means you make a regular copy of your passport, and sign it. That's all there is to it.

Edit: But this is in the UK, so YMMV..

Thanks for the feedback Jdietz.

In the UK its pretty simple - before now I have just walked into any high street branch and they do it for free.

Over here it involves them writing 'I recognise this as a a.... blah blah' and then they put a big shiny company stamp on it.

I have already sent the application form to the bank (Co-Op Offshore) and I signed the copy of the passport. I sent other proof of identity as well - but they wanted a 'certified copy of the passport'.

I have asked them who they want to certify it - is there a list of companies they recognise over here. Of course I dont expect there will be a list as such and so I can use the recommendation I get from this thread. If they say I have to use the British Consulate or whatever - then I will just have to do that - whatever the cost. :)

I think if you check with the bank in question you will see that they have specific criteria regarding certification. Typically the certifier must be a professional person, a lawyer a doctor or similar. If you are in the UK a UK Solicitor will give you a certified copy for £5, I think the current UK Embassy charge in Thailand is some horrific amount, Baht 4,000 or similar! In Thailand you can go to any law office although prices will vary, I use a Thai lawyer in Phuket who charges me Baht 500 - Sunbelt will also do it for you and I believe the charge is Baht 1,000 - you cannot however self certify for banking purposes.

I think if you check with the bank in question you will see that they have specific criteria regarding certification. Typically the certifier must be a professional person, a lawyer a doctor or similar. If you are in the UK a UK Solicitor will give you a certified copy for £5, I think the current UK Embassy charge in Thailand is some horrific amount, Baht 4,000 or similar! In Thailand you can go to any law office although prices will vary, I use a Thai lawyer in Phuket who charges me Baht 500 - Sunbelt will also do it for you and I believe the charge is Baht 1,000 - you cannot however self certify for banking purposes.

Thanks for the reply Chiang Mai - I had a signature certified at my parents solicitors a while back for about 5 quid I think it was - not expensive anyway. I am waiting for an email reply from the bank now - which will I suspect say it needs to be a law office or the British Embassy or the like. I just thought it may be a good idea to ask some others here what they would advise. Thanks again

I think BArry Kenyon, the Hnorary Consul in Jomtien, charges 1,000 Baht.

Thanks for the feedback - I have to say I was thinking about going down to see him - 1000 baht is reasonable and lets face it - any bank in the UK will accept a certification from the British Embassy or one of its consulates. I will pop down there tomorrow (Monday) - do you know what time he works there. I usually go to immigration at 8.30 and he is sometime there around 9.00 when I come out.

edit:

I did a search on Barry Kenyon and found this thread. It says he is not a notary - I think I will send the bank an email and see if the 'honary consul' is OK to use - I reckon it will be fine... thanks again for the advice

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Notary-Publi...yo-t229097.html

Edited by dsfbrit

The price in Thailand that these so called "Public Notaries" charge is ridiculous.

One even asked for 3,500 Baht. Another in Hua Hin, after he had stamped/signed two copies of my passport asked for 1,000 baht each. I said sorry, but I am not paying that and walked out.

The best option is to be friendly with your local bank manager and get him/her to do it free, however recently I have heard stories that some are now refusing to do it.

To put it into perspective, the UK charges around a fiver and in Germany I was charged 10 Euros. So the Thais should be happy with maybe 200 or 300 Baht. Anything above that is a major rip-off.

The price in Thailand that these so called "Public Notaries" charge is ridiculous.

One even asked for 3,500 Baht. Another in Hua Hin, after he had stamped/signed two copies of my passport asked for 1,000 baht each. I said sorry, but I am not paying that and walked out.

The best option is to be friendly with your local bank manager and get him/her to do it free, however recently I have heard stories that some are now refusing to do it.

To put it into perspective, the UK charges around a fiver and in Germany I was charged 10 Euros. So the Thais should be happy with maybe 200 or 300 Baht. Anything above that is a major rip-off.

My company certifies documents for banks etc. overseas and we only charge 500B (we might even be able go to see you if you're in Bangkok!). That charge includes us keeping a copy on record in case there are any problems.. Anything more than that is expensive...

MNM

Yes it is ridiculous - well done for walking out.

My company certifies documents for banks etc. overseas and we only charge 500B (we might even be able go to see you if you're in Bangkok!). That charge includes us keeping a copy on record in case there are any problems.. Anything more than that is expensive...

MNM

I have been recommended someone for about 500 baht here in Pattaya - Kevin Harper - British Law Society - 3rd road.

I may pop down and see him. Like your company charges - that seems a reasonable price.

To be honest - its not about the extra few hundred baht - I just HATE being conned!!

MNM

I have been recommended someone for about 500 baht here in Pattaya - Kevin Harper - British Law Society - 3rd road.

I may pop down and see him. Like your company charges - that seems a reasonable price.

To be honest - its not about the extra few hundred baht - I just HATE being conned!!

I agree, you normally get what you pay for, you want cheap lawyers, expect crap. But for something like this, 500B is about the maximum, and we include transportation to the client.. if the client comes to us, we'll knock it down a bit.

Most of my companies clients have been ripped off by other lawyers/ accountants etc. Then come to me to fix things.. But they never want to pay that little bit more in the first place and always think they 'know someone big' who can help them, but they never can.. so sad...

MNM

Done the same recently. Got a local officer at the police station to do it, and since it was Chalong, Phuket, I expected to pay a little bit of money.

He only went and did it for free!

Here, a bank officer is not allowed to do this kind of thing. Witnessing and veryfying documents like passports can only be done by the police and lawyers, I'm told, Even though it may say other officials can do it on the Co-op bank documents, it's not allowed for 'other officials' in Thailand to do this.

Care with the wording - it has to be spot on with what Co-op say to tie in with the regulatory framework in CI or IoM, or wherever. Check their website - I'm convinced that they'll state the required wording somewhere in the account opening procedures.

I thought I would just let people know what happened - so anyone who searches for this topic knows the latest info.

I went down to see Barry Kenyon the British Honorary Consul in Pattaya. The charge for this service is now 1450 Baht. I decided that was too much.

I then went to see - Kevin Harper - British Law Company- 3rd road. He provided this service for 500 baht.

Kevin provided a prompt professional service - I will use him next time for this type of service. His phone number is 038-375036.

Edited by dsfbrit

Done the same recently. Got a local officer at the police station to do it, and since it was Chalong, Phuket, I expected to pay a little bit of money.

He only went and did it for free!

Here, a bank officer is not allowed to do this kind of thing. Witnessing and veryfying documents like passports can only be done by the police and lawyers, I'm told, Even though it may say other officials can do it on the Co-op bank documents, it's not allowed for 'other officials' in Thailand to do this.

Care with the wording - it has to be spot on with what Co-op say to tie in with the regulatory framework in CI or IoM, or wherever. Check their website - I'm convinced that they'll state the required wording somewhere in the account opening procedures.

Good advice in general. To be honest - I dont think the Co-Op are really at the top of their game with all this. I was anticipating some problems from them - but no - they emailed me to say they had got the certificate and it was fine - the account was now opened.

This may seem a minor achievement - but last year I tried to open an offshore account with HSBC. Despite being an account holder with HSBC for many years - after 3 months of futile effort and aggravation - where I had to open one type of account to be able to open another type of account - then have a minimum balance for a period of time - then the guy went on holiday and I was told by the stand in I was not a 'Premier Account' holder now as my balance was below a certain amount etc blah blah ARGGGHHHH!!!! I gave up in the end and closed down the initial account they opened - they still owe me 20 quid - I would rather poke my eyes out with a blunt pencil than ever try to contact their 'Help' desk ever again ARRgggg...

I would say the Co-Op is a good bank (building society) to put your offshore savings. Quite a good credit rating in this day and age, part of the Guernsey compensation scheme - well up to 50K anyway - and fairly easy to open an account. Anyway we will see - I intend to open another savings account with them next month.

^many moons ago I wanted to open an account at the co-op bank and they told me I couldn't.

Been a happy HSBC customer ever since.

Fair enough - I am a happy HSBC customer as well - Onshore.

I had an account in Bangkok with HSBC for several years as well - very good service.

However, last year when trying to open an HSBC savings account offshore,it was both time consuming and fruitless.

It was partly down to the fact that as a 'Premier Account' customer onshore, I was entitled to the higher interest rate offshore as well. This was all agreed by my 'Relationship Manager' or whatever he is called. The trouble is their system did not recognise this as such.

That was just part of the problems. I will not bother with all the details... I would say they it may be worth updating your view on the Co-Op - hey 'many moons' ago I actually thought that putting money into a High Street bank/building Society like Northern Rock, Halifax, Bradford and Bingley etc was a very very risk free deposit!!!!

Not now - the reason I am having to open all these ****ing bank accounts is to spread the risk - trying to do it in batches of 50K - to get the benefits of the relevant Government compensation scheme.

As you know - the rules involve the money being in different banking 'groups' as well as individual banks. This is not that easy a task as many of the 'different' banks actually come under the same bank for compensation purposes should they go bust. So a deposit with Lloyds TSB and Halifax of 50K in each bank - would only get one 50K returned - eventually!

^yeah I know, I've been spreading money around and ended up with several accounts, only for banks to merge and become part of the same group!

But not being a Premier Customer at HSBC I don't have your problem, I just fill in the forms online for a new account and tell them my passport and address haven't changed and it's added to my account list.

• 3 weeks later...