Reggae Pub

"Green Mango" at Laem Din was later and as far as I remember more popular than the Reggae Pub. I liked the place too. Of course it was the time before techno and house...

But nothing beats the nights on Lamai at that time. Campfires, guitars on the beach, later at the "Animal House" and then "Flamingo"...

Lamai changed the worst of all.

Yep, then there was a guy from Scotland, forgot his name... he organized the music as (DJ?)... however yes, later when the Reggae moved up, "The Doors Pub"?

Interesting "Animal House", "Flamingo".... very interesting, same, same....indeed in those days Lamai was "the Place" to go for some club'ing...Campfires, Mekhong... I know...wonderful times!

Showing your age Samuian. :)

deleted blah blah

Edited by Birdman

shame that having said that stopped going there because of stupid beer prices, now lady boys as well definatly a bad move. take care your wallets. the sooner Samui cleans the streets of the lady boys the better the place will be, put them all on a boat with taxi meter drivers and ship off the island. both groups are loosing the island business.

The Reggae Pub was a small disco at Chaweng Beach Road somewhere opposite the now Chaweng Resort. The road in front was a sandy path. Behind it was a tense palm forest, nothing else. During nighttime it was completely dark around it. I was there about 23 years ago.

Me too!

The Reggae Pub was a small disco at Chaweng Beach Road somewhere opposite the now Chaweng Resort. The road in front was a sandy path. Behind it was a tense palm forest, nothing else. During nighttime it was completely dark around it. I was there about 23 years ago.

why was the forest tense? was it homphobic too?

No, it was palm trees and sand that were completely apolitical. The most politically incorrect thing that happened in those days was that humans forced monkeys to climb tree and pick coconuts for them.

Edited by OriginalPoster

No, it was palm trees and sand that were completely apolitical. The most politically incorrect thing that happened in those days was that humans forced monkeys to climb tree and pick coconuts for them.

You give me hope as I'm also forced to work for a living. Maybe the political climate will have changed for humans in another generation or so.

Mind you I quite enjoyed climbing trees 25 years ago. :)

You give me hope as I'm also forced to work for a living. Maybe the political climate will have changed for humans in another generation or so.

Mind you I quite enjoyed climbing trees 25 years ago. :)

Those monkeys seemed quite happy though. But to tell you the truth, at one time those monkeys used to piss me off because sometimes they would congregate into groups and cause quite a chatter. Now I wish things like that were the biggest problems in my life.

Those monkeys seemed quite happy though. But to tell you the truth, at one time those monkeys used to piss me off because sometimes they would congregate into groups and cause quite a chatter. Now I wish things like that were the biggest problems in my life.

Yeah years ago in Goa the little rascals would sneak down from the trees and steal our leftover barbecue, ransacking our belongings along the way while we played water polo in the late afternoon. I could only laugh even then.

Yeah years ago in Goa the little rascals would sneak down from the trees and steal our leftover barbecue, ransacking our belongings along the way while we played water polo in the late afternoon. I could only laugh even then.

Hey, buddy - this is way off topic, but if you're an old Goa guy (as I am, but not really an ancient one), you might want to check out Arugam Bay in Sri Lanka. Right now they seem to be having the "good old days".

Hey, buddy - this is way off topic, but if you're an old Goa guy (as I am, but not really an ancient one), you might want to check out Arugam Bay in Sri Lanka. Right now they seem to be having the "good old days".

The beach I was referring to was on the flight path into Dabolim. Tiny place with only access by boat. Some great parties there 93-01....

I will check out Sri Lanka. Thanks OP. :)

The beach I was referring to was on the flight path into Dabolim. Tiny place with only access by boat. Some great parties there 93-01....

I will check out Sri Lanka. Thanks OP. :)

Interesting. Never heard of that place. My experience at Goa was in Anjuna from about 1988-90. Even then though it seemed to be too late - already middle-aged Europeans in their speedos had shown up.

Interesting. Never heard of that place. My experience at Goa was in Anjuna from about 1988-90. Even then though it seemed to be too late - already middle-aged Europeans in their speedos had shown up.

Parties started at Shore bar continued in Vagator and (sometimes) Arambol by then. Next day chill out at the beach further south. :)

Parties started at Shore bar continued in Vagator and (sometimes) Arambol by then. Next day chill out at the beach further south. :)

I trust your word on that. I live a sheltered, boring life, I miss most of the parties.

Well, i'll check it out on the 12th.... the 22nd Anniversary it will be again "one of these nights.."!

:) Yes and one of the annual highlights is the incredible traffic jam with no way in and no way out. It's just hilarious to sit at one of the roadside bars and watching the farangs "losing it", screaming and honking with road rage while the Thais cooly wait !