Bank Cashiers Check

Can I bring a US bank casheir's check, (certified) with me and open an account at, say, Siam Bank.....or BKK bank, or whatever. Would it be any easier to bring a check from Citibank, (my bank) and deposit it in the BKK branch of Citi. I'm talking

about a check in the 20K US area, instead of having to make a transfer down the road to qualify for my NI O extension. Would the bank in LOS accept it. There would be no problem having to wait for it to clear, and would that satisfy immigration that it came from outside Thailand ?.....Thanks

Not certain, but I have my doubts.

I think the bank in Thailand would want to send the cheque back to the US and wait for funds being remitted back to them before crediting your account. This is a process that could take several weeks, depending on the (in)efficiency of the banks involved.

Alan

Our experience at Bangkok Bank in Korat: They accepted a US certified check for deposit. However, we had to open the account with cash (it was minimal -- 300 baht?). There is a 45 day wait for the check to clear, plus a US$10 fee. We made the deposit less than 45 days ago, so we don't yet have credit.

YMMV depending on bank and branch.

Foreign checks are cleared by Bangkok Bank headquarters in Bangkok, so it doesn't matter which local branch you use. If you are a well known customer they can clear the foreign check the same banking day (if they WANT...)

Well if you must bring a check, certified or personal, so be it.

But if you just want to bring money to Thailand (large sum) the best way is to setup a SWIFT transfer agreement with your bank back home before you leave. Then you can have the funds wired and in your Thai bank account in a few days.

Foreign checks are cleared by Bangkok Bank headquarters in Bangkok, so it doesn't matter which local branch you use. If you are a well known customer they can clear the foreign check the same banking day (if they WANT...)

Great. We'll go in tomorrow and ask for the money now. Tell 'em George sent us....

:o

No idea why, but I've always found the banks here do not like

to handle certified cheques, at least for individuals.

And they often take ages to clear.

Best bet in my experience is to discuss Swift or similar electronic

transfer system with your US bank, and get the details from them.

After you have opened a Thai account arrange the transfer with your US bank.

The Swift transfer takes only 2 ~3 working days. :o

In the case of foreign checks and Bangkok Bank, they courier all the checks to Bangkok Bank in New York who clears them and transfer the funds back to your account via SWIFT. Bangkok Bank will then get more than 2 weeks of interest from your money.

Same for most countries, not only Thai banks.

I think the bank in Thailand would want to send the cheque back to the US and wait for funds being remitted back to them before crediting your account. This is a process that could take several weeks, depending on the (in)efficiency of the banks involved.

I am pretty sure this is correct.

Why don't you open the account with a small amount in cash,

then TT the rest of the money over.

Much cleaner and quicker.

You will also have a clear record of where the funds came from,

very important these days with Anti Money laundering laws.

..i opened an a/c at siam bank with small amount of cash then transfered larger amount via visa a/c and had instant funds. this was a cheaper process than doing a telegraphic transfer..... :o ..worked for me.

Well if you must bring a check, certified or personal, so be it.

But if you just want to bring money to Thailand (large sum) the best way is to setup a SWIFT transfer agreement with your bank back home before you leave. Then you can have the funds wired and in your Thai bank  account in a few days.

Thanks Paul.....really appreciate the info. Ernie