Klm Is A Bunch Of ****

AyG

I flew from Suvarnabhumi to Europe. In the process my suitcase was rifled through. Folders of documents were opened and the contents scattered, and the presents I had bought for my family were unwrapped. Lacking the boxes and bubble wrap a pair of vases I'd bought for my mother became smashed. (And to add to the insult, the suitcase actually arrived more than 24 hours after I did.)

KLM was less than sympathetic. They (after several emails and letters) basically said it was my fault that some thieving baggage handler decided to plunder my luggage, and that it was my fault that I hadn't packed things well enough.

I was only claiming for 500 Baht. What a bunch of cønts. They've definitely lost my custom – and I hope that of anyone who reads this. That will cost them more than the piffling sum I claimed.

Although admittedly this was a long time ago, the worst flight I ever took was from (as I recall) Jakarta to either Singapore or Bangkok...and it was KLM. I mean HORRIBLE and RUDE service. I'm a fairly passive passenger...but never again!

Oh well that's news to me, I've only travelled KLM twice, KLIA to LHR via Schipol and back), and I thought they were okay.

However they were late on the return, not their fault, and I missed the connection and had to wait six or so hours for the next flight. All they gave me was a voucher for a lousy eight euros (I vaguely recall) and the advice that it had to be spent in one single outlet i.e. no change given. One outlet? I spent it on one <deleted>' drink! :)

I was wondering how secure the cases were. They should give a reason if they are refusing compensation unless they thought 500 Baht was being frivolous. Try claiming the vases were worth 5000 (an easy change to the receipt). :D

Who owns Ryan Air? I realise its a budget airline, but some years back I had hand luggage, a real Fendi Holdall. On a return flight they wouldnt let me take it on as hand luggage (although no problems going). I gave my concerns about this bag being put in the hold. The desk attendant assured me that it would be marked to be placed in some kind of separate handling section and it wouldnt be thrown in with heavy luggage bags. I was young, gullible and trusting. Of course my beautiful bag arrived wrecked at the other end. Handle totally ripped off tearing a big gash in the fabric. Unrepairable. After a lot of correspondence I was fobbed off with a five pound cheque, saying thats what their experts valued the damage at. Sent it back telling them to shove it. Patronsing pigs.

Although admittedly this was a long time ago, the worst flight I ever took was from (as I recall) Jakarta to either Singapore or Bangkok...and it was KLM. I mean HORRIBLE and RUDE service. I'm a fairly passive passenger...but never again!

So long ago you're not sure of the flight origin or recall the destination... get over it.

and the presents I had bought for my family were unwrapped

Everything that happened to you sucks. I too would be upset about the delayed luggage, broken items that had been removed from their boxes, and the scattered documents. And of course the response to your complaint was pitiful. I have heard, however, that it's never a good idea to bring wrapped presents because the security people may need to open them when searching bags. That might be a good tip for everyone, just in case. I used to bring wrapped presents home, but once I had a friend who had all of hers unwrapped, I started just wrapping when I get to my destination.

Just lock your bag

I'm just curious...you flew from BKK to Europe. Are there no regulations regarding locked bags? I'm from the US, and I believe that we must leave our bags unlocked or use special TSA-approved locks, because they have to be able to search any bag. If you use your own locks, they have the right to break the locks to get into the bag. Is that just a US thing, or does that apply to Europe too?

Just lock your bag

I'm just curious...you flew from BKK to Europe. Are there no regulations regarding locked bags? I'm from the US, and I believe that we must leave our bags unlocked or use special TSA-approved locks, because they have to be able to search any bag. If you use your own locks, they have the right to break the locks to get into the bag. Is that just a US thing, or does that apply to Europe too?

I think it is just a US thing as I have never heard of it elsewhere. I always lock my check in luggage for what it's worth as the professional baggage plunderers, sorry handlers, can spring open most locks in seconds. Cable ties or just multi knotted string is just as goos as they need a knife and a bit of time to gain entry. Only slight glitsch is that you also need a knife to get into your baggage when you reach your destination.

I've often thought that the baggage wrapping service at Suvarnabhumi id both a good and a bad idea. Good because it make access into your bags more difficult, bad because it clearly marks the bag as containing something of value.

Just lock your bag

I have a bag that I lost the key for.

It takes me 5 seconds to lock or unlock it using a screwdriver.

I've often thought that the baggage wrapping service at Suvarnabhumi id both a good and a bad idea. Good because it make access into your bags more difficult, bad because it clearly marks the bag as containing something of value.

Yeah, me too. Actually, I'm still shocked when I see the wrapping stand, because it continues to surprise me that it's allowed. Do you know if the baggage handlers in Europe or Asia are allowed to legitimately open bags to search them? I mean, if you wrap your bag at BKK and fly to Europe and it's been cut open, can you complain about it or is it something the staff can do if they see anything suspicious on the x-ray?

The OP may want to consider the following approach:-

My fiancée’s friend, Lee, told me he’d become so fed-up with easyJet after it refused to compensate him fairly for some lost luggage, that he contacted an executive at head office and threatened to send him an email every 10 minutes, in an increasingly large font size, until the company gave him what he wanted. EasyJet changed its decision.

Or this case:-

One day at the end of March 2008, a musician called Dave Carroll was sitting on a United Airlines flight which had just landed at Chicago airport. He and his band, a pop folk group called Sons of Maxwell, were due to catch a connecting flight to Nebraska.

As they waited to disembark, a woman sitting behind Carroll said something that made his blood run cold.

‘My God,’ she exclaimed. ‘They’re throwing guitars out there!’ Carroll looked out the window and, to his horror, he saw the baggage handlers picking a bass guitar out of the plane’s hold and nonchalantly tossing it on to a trolley.

‘Jesus,’ Carroll thought. His guitar, a 710 Taylor, was worth C$3,500, about £2,000, and it played just the way he liked it.

He immediately pointed out what was going on to a flight attendant.

‘Don’t talk to me; talk to the lead agent outside,’ she said. Carroll followed her finger to a woman on the tarmac but when he spoke to her a few minutes later, she told him she was not the ‘lead agent’ but the ‘acting lead agent’ and couldn’t help. Carroll spoke to a third employee at the gate.

It goes on a bit so I won't reproduce it all here but can be seen in full in this article on complaining: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/7073796...tisfaction.html

Who owns Ryan Air? I realise its a budget airline, but some years back I had hand luggage, a real Fendi Holdall. On a return flight they wouldnt let me take it on as hand luggage (although no problems going). I gave my concerns about this bag being put in the hold. The desk attendant assured me that it would be marked to be placed in some kind of separate handling section and it wouldnt be thrown in with heavy luggage bags. I was young, gullible and trusting. Of course my beautiful bag arrived wrecked at the other end. Handle totally ripped off tearing a big gash in the fabric. Unrepairable. After a lot of correspondence I was fobbed off with a five pound cheque, saying thats what their experts valued the damage at. Sent it back telling them to shove it. Patronsing pigs.

Irish public company Eek. well known in Europe for the crazy attitude of its CEO to customer service. Many people like me would not touch them with a bargepole (whereas I am an Air Asia enthusiast).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/world/europe/01oleary.html

So long ago you're not sure of the flight origin or recall the destination... get over it.

Nope...that's my point...I've had little episodes of bad service on other airlines from time to time, but I don't even remember them. Mai pben rai! And although I don't recall all the details of that KLM flight, it will forever be branded in my mind -- KLM = BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD service. That's probably not even fair since it was just one flight...but it was so horrible a flight that its memory just doesn't fade.

Only when traveling to US

I have a bag that I lost the key for.

It takes me 5 seconds to lock or unlock it using a screwdriver.

Next time dont buy a lock for 10 Baht at Chatuchak weekend market but buy a LOCK.

Nothing to do with your knowlegde about locks but just the quality off the lock using :) .

Irish public company Eek. well known in Europe for the crazy attitude of its CEO to customer service. Many people like me would not touch them with a bargepole (whereas I am an Air Asia enthusiast).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/world/europe/01oleary.html

Ryanair AKA Sky Bandits.

KLM = worst ever. Will NEVER fly them again. No service, rude personnel, expensive...

I used to fly UK -Latin America with KLM every month for 8 years. I flew on the same day using the same route every trip. I knew the ladies on the flights and check in. Roughly every 2nd flight was an upgrade to business class. I could not say a bad word about KLM until the day that AirFrance took over the reigns. The service was deplorable and it seemed as though all of the staff had serious attitude problems. Smarmy B*stards. It was almost impossible to make the tight connection when trying to negotiate your way round CDG airport. During the transition from KLM to AirFrance, the computers did not pick up 2 of my flights. It was left to me to prove that I flew so as to maintain my Platinum Status.

I changed carriers after 3 trips with Air France. Never say never, but unless it is free and they are paying for my time, I will not be rushing back to them.

If anyone has flown Kuwait Airways, then they'll know what 'shoddy' customer service is, and ill-equipped planes!

2nd class planes (even the video screens rarely work, so how is a passenger supposed to have confidence in the technical ability to keep the plane 'trouble-free'?), 3rd class attitude, nil class complaints procedure - my (new and intellectual ;o) book was actually stolen from my cabin seat during 'stopover'. Upon complaint, the only response was "it must be the cleaners". Nothing else said or done!

If your luggage is left behind for some reason, like seems to be the case with OP, and is delivered by other flight as unaccompanied luggage due security reasons all bags are opened and inspected. US, Europe or Asia. Doesn't matter.

If you lock is one of these TSA models it means the security personnel can open it without damaging the lock. If you have other lock they simple pick it or break it.

Some airports they even leave a form inside to say it has been opened and checked due security reasons with the date, time, name and signature of the officer in question. Once i get a note inside that my luggage was opened and prohibited items removed. I noticed one cigarette lighter was taken out from the check-in luggage. However it was ok for me to board the plane with two of them in my hand carry...