Blood Needed For Finnish Accident Victim In Phuket

webfact

Blood needed for Finnish accident victim in Phuket

phuket-Bangkok-Hospital-Phuket-in-Phuket-Towns-Samkong-area-File-photo-1-wfjfCEK.jpg

Bangkok Hospital Phuket in Phuket Town's Samkong area. File photo.

PHUKET: The Phuket Regional Blood Center is calling for urgent donations of the rare blood type A- for a Finnish national currently in ICU at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

The Finn, 31, is breathing with the help of a respirator and requires an emergency leg operation after having an accident on January 22.

He is also suffering from an abdominal blood clot.

Negative blood types, extremely rare among Thais, are more common among people of Caucasian descent.

Anyone with type A- blood is encouraged to call the blood center (081-413 4004 or 076-251178) from 8:30am Wednesday to arrange a donation.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Best wishes to the gent. My friend is currently in Bangkok and was heading to Phuket on 28th. He is A- blood group and although I've not managed to contact him I know he'll be willing to donate, whether in BKK or Phuket. Have passed on the numbers. I'm sure he could lose 3-4 pints for a good cause and replace it with Singha in the interim.

On a serious note; The message seems to suggest office hours for donations, any suggestions as to whether this could be done in BKK and sent to Phuket?

Many thanks.

Best wishes to the gent. My friend is currently in Bangkok and was heading to Phuket on 28th. He is A- blood group and although I've not managed to contact him I know he'll be willing to donate, whether in BKK or Phuket. Have passed on the numbers. I'm sure he could lose 3-4 pints for a good cause and replace it with Singha in the interim.

On a serious note; The message seems to suggest office hours for donations, any suggestions as to whether this could be done in BKK and sent to Phuket?

Many thanks.

In all my 40 years of life on this planet, I have never known any of my friends blood types. Guess this proves that you know your friends inside and out! Jolly good call chap...

I'm A- but I don't think I can donate my blood because i donated it under 3 months ago. I donated my blood to Queen Sirikit Military Hospital in Sattahip. Maybe my blood is still there. Send me a message if there is anyway else I can help. Cheers!

are they looking for whole blood, or will plasma do? It makes a big difference. I would like to know before I go down there. If I can just give plasma, I can do it, but i need to know.

If you have questions, please call the blood center (081-413 4004 or 076-251178) from 8:30am Wednesday.

Thanks! :)

Many thanks.

That's a very good point, I was assuming they have a service that transports these things between hospitals. Can it be done in BKK? Never occurred to me that maybe they don't. :)

I gave up donating blood for people who were appealing for help via the local hospitals.

I gave my blood for free, yet the hospital were charging 3,000 baht a pack for my freely donated blood.

Thai hospitall administrators are no more than mere body snatchers, Burke and Hare are indeed alive and well in Thailand

According to that chart posted near the top, my blood could be used as a plasma, as I am AB+. I am in BKK though, so there will most likely be more suitable doners down there. My best wishes for the guys recovery though. What a holiday.

Blood given nowdays would be Packed RBC's, because the red blood cells are what is needed. The plasma is seperated from the RBC's. If not, after multiple units given, you would have fluid overload from the excess plasma, as well as multiplying the chances of incompatibility with the recipient.

O Neg cells have no antibodies so if there is a compatible crossmatch, it can be given to an A person...but not O Neg whole blood, just the cells.

Part of the reason for their charging for blood that is donated would be the collecting, processing, screening, and storage costs. But I admit that it can also be a bit of a cash cow, but giving blood will often directly save lives. The units are initially screened for Hepatitis C, HIV, and other potential problems, checked for any unsusual antibodies, and then sent to the hospital. Then before it is given, the ABO and Rh type and antibodies of both the patient and donor are checked again, and a cross-match between the donor cells and patients serum will test for compatibility.

Thinking of all that made me glad I am in Thailand working in my orchard instead of cooped up in a hospital.

I gave up donating blood for people who were appealing for help via the local hospitals.

I gave my blood for free, yet the hospital were charging 3,000 baht a pack for my freely donated blood.

Thai hospitall administrators are no more than mere body snatchers, Burke and Hare are indeed alive and well in Thailand

If this is true, it's a disgrace but not really a surprise.

Actually, there seems to be a kind of "blood war" going on between the two blood banks on the island with the Bangkok Phuket Hospital (again, no surprise) claiming the Wachira Hospital (the oldest blood bank) is out of service. Talking about leeches in suits...

I too am A- but in Bangkok. I called the mobile number. One can donate at the "Bangkok National Blood Centre" which is nearby Hua Lumpong Train Station. Exact Address I dont know yet. Opening hours are 08:30 - 16:30. They will send it to Phuket.

I called the 076 number and had arun around several connections mostly with auto voice. Then called mobile number and the girl on the phone could not tell me where I could donate on Chiang mai, although she knew that it could be sent to her from Chiang Mai. Being a good Samaritan is just too hard.

Just got back from the Red Cross in Chonburi.

Very friendly people. They took 450cc's of my A- blood. Later I got some free cakes and soft drinks. Some nice looking green curry and other food was on offer too but we were in a hurry to get back to work.

The address is :

Red Cross Blood Centre

Taunaukam Road

Bang Prasroy

Muang District

Chonburi.

The main man there is Mr Lee - the hospital in Phuket has been in touch with him already, so just mention his name and that you are there to help the farang in Phuket.

it is not your blood they are charging for, it is the cost of collecting, processing and transporting it. Given that Thailand has a user pays health system, I cant see why you are upset.

Here on Samui we have a list of ex-pats willing to give blood in the event of a farang needing blood. Each of the hospitals has this list and can email, SMS or call to ask. maybe something similar should be set up on Phuket ? Good luck to the guy.

Blood given nowdays would be Packed RBC's, because the red blood cells are what is needed. The plasma is seperated from the RBC's. If not, after multiple units given, you would have fluid overload from the excess plasma, as well as multiplying the chances of incompatibility with the recipient.

O Neg cells have no antibodies so if there is a compatible crossmatch, it can be given to an A person...but not O Neg whole blood, just the cells.

Part of the reason for their charging for blood that is donated would be the collecting, processing, screening, and storage costs. But I admit that it can also be a bit of a cash cow, but giving blood will often directly save lives. The units are initially screened for Hepatitis C, HIV, and other potential problems, checked for any unsusual antibodies, and then sent to the hospital. Then before it is given, the ABO and Rh type and antibodies of both the patient and donor are checked again, and a cross-match between the donor cells and patients serum will test for compatibility.

Thinking of all that made me glad I am in Thailand working in my orchard instead of cooped up in a hospital.

Are you sure of the whole screening process? Last month we watched on channel 3 a case of a child who got infected with HIV from a blood transfusion. The hospital denied first but after checking her parents and her twin sister who were negative the hospital director confirmed that they couldn't screen all the blood and that many patients have been infected with this and other virus. Since there is no law to protect the patients the only (moral) obligation of the hospital is to treat this young child for free until she passes away.

Are you sure of the whole screening process? Last month we watched on channel 3 a case of a child who got infected with HIV from a blood transfusion. The hospital denied first but after checking her parents and her twin sister who were negative the hospital director confirmed that they couldn't screen all the blood and that many patients have been infected with this and other virus. Since there is no law to protect the patients the only (moral) obligation of the hospital is to treat this young child for free until she passes away.

In the west, the hospital assumes legal responsibility if a blood unit screening test is available and they don't perform it, in fact they will not give a unit of blood until it has been screened for viruses. All the blood units in storage have been screened and are waiting for crossmatching as needed. Evidently in LOS they don't view the risk in the same way. With the high percentage of potentially infected blood here, there is NO excuse for putting the patient at risk.

You are right, the hospital should assume responsibility for their negligent actions, and revise their policies...but :) .

I will go through this thread. There are a number of off-topic comments and it is a serious situation. These will be deleted. Please try to add constructive remarks.

Since the blood type is not common among Thais, I think they are targeting foreigners. The HIV question is serious, however, foreigners are more likely, as a group, to know if they are infected or in a risk group for infection.

Hopefully there will be an update on the situation with the patient in need. In the meantime, a very big thanks to the many people have gone that extra measure and extra mile to help someone in need.