Bangkok Pavements A Real Jungle For The Disabled

george

Bangkok pavements are becoming a real jungle for the disabled

Bangkok residents have to watch their every step. If they are not careful, they may stumble into hot barbecue grills or get hit by a moving vehicle at any moment. In some places, the footpaths are also slippery, because of water dripping from food stalls or running air-conditioners.

The threats are real for all footpath users, but especially for those with disabilities.

One blind pedestrian recently said he had been making his way down a footpath one time but got knocked down from a tree that was growing in an unexpected spot.

Trees on the footpaths here never form a neat line.

Worried about such problems, the Disabled People's International Asia-Pacific Region has called on Bangkok authorities to help out.

The Pathum Wan district office recently responded by agreeing to upgrade the stretch underneath Siam Skytrain Station. The work will start in August.

"We will improve the footpath based on the winning entry from a footpath-design contest," said Worapoj Intulak, director of the district office.

The winning entry will also serve as a model for the "Bangkok Sabai Walk" project, which is aimed at bringing greater convenience and safety to Bangkok pedestrians.

The contest places a strong emphasis on the design's friendliness to handicapped users.

Although the contest springs from good intentions, people with disabilities cannot take heart.

Back in 2007, then-governor Apirak Kosayodhin vowed to turn the footpath along a 1.5-kilometre stretch of Rajdamri Road into a route accessible and friendly to disabled pedestrians.

His vision has not been translated into quick, satisfactory results.

Now, 2010 has already begun, but that footpath has yet to become truly tolerant of people with disabilities.

Thailand is home to about 2 million disabled people, many of whom live in the capital.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said only 118 roads in the capital have been equipped with ramps. Over the next few years, 53 more roads will get them.

Special road crossings for the disabled are also available at only 151 spots. Elsewhere, the disabled are left to fend for themselves on footpaths that are not designed for them.

If the city provided friendly infrastructure, people with disabilities could move around safely and conveniently. For example, if there were smooth footpaths with ramps and public buses with wheelchair lifts, the disabled could run errands like normal-bodied people.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration should seriously think about what it can do for people with disabilities now.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

My secretary was in a wheel chair - major drama daily life for her to get to the office. The maid was also deaf - so interesting she also had problems - she had to be very aware of traffic while walking on non existent side-walks and possible cars/bikes etc.

Interesting was the secretary when doing errands was often helped by staff and people at Fortune and other places. The general public was very kind, the building owners and town planners who plan and allow buildings on footpaths etc are not so nice.

CTO, first of all, I think it's great that you employ a person who uses a wheelchair and a person who is deaf. My Thai friends with disabilities have not been able to find jobs for years because of their disabilities, even when they are very capable of working certain jobs. Good for you for being open-minded, fair, and compassionate.

Interesting was the secretary when doing errands was often helped by staff and people at Fortune and other places. The general public was very kind, the building owners and town planners who plan and allow buildings on footpaths etc are not so nice.

I am happy for your secretary, but unfortunately, I have not experienced the same thing when I am out with my friend in a wheelchair (who is Thai). She is a beautiful, friendly, articulate woman who just happens to be in a wheelchair. While some might be helpful and considerate, many others stop to gawk whenever they see her. They get annoyed when she needs to ask them to please move so she can get through. They bump into her as if she does not exist. They jump in front of us in line for the elevator, leaving us to wait for the next one. Some point and whisper, and even laugh occasionally. Taxi drivers often tell her that disabled people should not be going out, but rather staying at home all the time. Sometimes they refuse to drive for her. It really makes me sad and even angry at times.

CTO, first of all, I think it's great that you employ a person who uses a wheelchair and a person who is deaf. My Thai friends with disabilities have not been able to find jobs for years because of their disabilities, even when they are very capable of working certain jobs. Good for you for being open-minded, fair, and compassionate.

I am happy for your secretary, but unfortunately, I have not experienced the same thing when I am out with my friend in a wheelchair (who is Thai). She is a beautiful, friendly, articulate woman who just happens to be in a wheelchair. While some might be helpful and considerate, many others stop to gawk whenever they see her. They get annoyed when she needs to ask them to please move so she can get through. They bump into her as if she does not exist. They jump in front of us in line for the elevator, leaving us to wait for the next one. Some point and whisper, and even laugh occasionally. Taxi drivers often tell her that disabled people should not be going out, but rather staying at home all the time. Sometimes they refuse to drive for her. It really makes me sad and even angry at times.

Thais can be very rude and ignorant when it comes to the disabled, many are stupid enough to think that they are in a wheelchair due to bad 'karma' and deserve it. However not all are as cretinous as this. Some years ago I saw a westerner being helped in his wheelchair-across a bridge by thais. This was the bridge over the klong at Pratunam. He was going on the klong boat taxi. The wheels came off the chair and they carried him over and put him in the boat. How he got onto the boat station in the first place I did not see, brave guy and determined!

Yes, I have also seen occasional examples of Thais being overly helpful and understanding about people with disabilities. But, my bad experiences far outweigh the good ones. :)

I think you're right, though. The cultural beliefs about disability seem to be the root of the problem for the individuals living with special needs. My friend has also said that taxi drivers have told her that they won't driver her because then their future offspring could be born with disabilities, as if it can "spread." I have also heard people refer to disabilities as punishment or a curse. I am definitely not claiming to be an expert on Thai culture (obviously!), but this is just what I have noticed and heard since I've been here. I'd like to learn more about the Thais' view of disability, though, so if anyone can recommend any good books, I'd be appreciative.

For the first time there recently appeared to be a good attempt at upgrading the pavements in the Sathorn/Saladaeng area at least, and indeed several others that I noticed. An unbelievably good effort. This was achieved because it was supervised. It seemed as though a great deal of money, (some of it clearly unnecessary - Victorian-style lamps, with odd attachments, to hold plants, banners etc, in a faux verdigris, embellished in gilt). But as with all these things, a lack of maintenance soon destroys the good intention, and this is compounded when the beautifully laid paving stones are dug up to accomodate something that was forgotten in the original plan. The result is a pile of the rubble, usually around trees etc. How sad, and what a wasted effort. The problem is those in power have never actually walked on a pavement. They may have seen it from the their car, but in reality they don't know what they are. And didn't I read that there was some intention to bury the hideous overhead cables? Or is that phase 2, (which means digging up the pavement)?

The streets of Bangkok are not paved in gold.

They're just not paved.

Thais can be very rude and ignorant when it comes to the disabled, many are stupid enough to think that they are in a wheelchair due to bad 'karma' and deserve it. However not all are as cretinous as this. Some years ago I saw a westerner being helped in his wheelchair-across a bridge by thais. This was the bridge over the klong at Pratunam. He was going on the klong boat taxi. The wheels came off the chair and they carried him over and put him in the boat. How he got onto the boat station in the first place I did not see, brave guy and determined!

Odd - I haven't noticed - family has a history you could say working with handicapped people - but whenever she's going around by taxi to government places for me or just paying bills - she's usually had a pretty good time getting help - to the point she'll refuse sometimes.

Mind you this is based on only a few years employment. Maybe being with her longer I may have noticed less. Or perhaps because I was with her every day I noticed less.

It's not just the disabled they're a jungle for...I live on Rang Nam the pavements here are a disgrace. There's also the fact that pavement doesn't equal "pedestrian walkway" in this city...so I fear fixing this problem will just create more space for street vendors and motorcyclists.

Unfortunately sidewalks here are not for walking :D

Motorcycles and street vendors are entitled to use them most of the time :)

Correct, concreet drain covers its a problem as well.

Girl in know fall thru it as it was bad concreet, she is disable now and need to make her way true Bangkok in a wheelchair.

She try to sue the Government they give her 2.500 Baht and done no process.

Be aware try to avoid the covers on sidewalks, safety first.

Correct, concreet drain covers its a problem as well.

Girl in know fall thru it as it was bad concreet, she is disable now and need to make her way true Bangkok in a wheelchair.

She try to sue the Government they give her 2.500 Baht and done no process.

Be aware try to avoid the covers on sidewalks, safety first.

I make it a habit of not stepping on any drain covers here...concrete and the open large metal grills.....

Why don't they just tarmac the pavements???

OH how true. The sidewalk conditions here are pathetic- to say the least. Another example that the rich/powerful do not care about the typical Thai person who uses them daily. There should aptly display a sign reading : Walking on sidewalk may be hazardous to your health.

I am a farang wheelchair user, who spends quite a bit of time in Thailand. Mostly away from the tourist areas.

Pavements! Aren't they there so all the infrastructure, like poles, telephone boxes, street signs, etc etc can be mounted on them? And so they can be dug up again?

And aren't wheelchair users supposed to have a carer with them at all times?

And wheelchairs have wheels, aren't they supposed to use the road the same as all the other wheeled conveyances?

And then there are all those pedestrian bridges. I bet the view is great from up there! And high kerbs, if there are ramps, they have a step at the bottom, or are so steep.....

Been to Panthip Plaza lately? Noticed how they have bollards across the pavements in that area? They don't stop pedestrians, bikes or motorbikes, so they MUST be there to stop cripples getting access! Same at my local Tesco!

A few years ago, World Trade Centre had a year of access for the disabled. Put in concrete ramps, made things more accessible. But when the year was over, out came the jack hammers!

Please, don't get me started!!!!!

Yes, it's pretty obvious ppl like me should stay at home! Thai ppl lose face every time we make an appearance in public!

All power to the organisations of people with disability! You need it!!!!!

Edited by mirthseeker