Internet Options

Jockstar

Ok. I have read many posts on here over the last few months reagarding WIFi etc. Ideally i would like broadband but if you have read other comments from me you know that the manager at my apartments is not very willing to help out. I currently use dial up.At best get 50.6 kbps. I have a TA line but its not in my name. Hence the broadband problem. I live on the 7th floor of my apartments have no buildings blocking my view out of my balcony. So would it be possible to get some sort of WIFI connection? If so. Then how much and how easy to set up? I take it i would have to sign up to some company? Would it be faster than dialup? Any help appreciated. Cheers.

After just just reading what you and madness posted in Hong Khlaay Khriat, I'm not sure about you on broadband Jock :o .

Anyways, maybe pm ayakiawe, he's got a wifi setup for sale and mgnewman uses a similar setup if I recall.

Unfortunately, unless you're in a building that says it's got Wi-Fi access (or are next door to one), you probably won't have access. (at least not official access).

You could try and borrow a W-Fi modem from someone and see if there are any unsecured networks around that you can use. (Most routers start up in unencrypted mode, so lots of people simply plug them in and don't realise that they're letting other people in the area have free use of their internet connection.) But that would only really work if other people in your people in your building have managed to get broadband.

Your best bet is really to try again to get the person whose name the TA line is in to get True on it, or try and get them to transfer the line into your name if you're the one paying the bill anyway. (It's better than dialup, although that's all that can really be said about it on the cheaper packages).

Alternatives are GPRS (or EDGE, but that's dependant on where you are in Bangkok). GPRS is slower than dialup, but I "think" EDGE is faster.

One good thing at least. From the 50.6Kbps connection you're getting at the moment, you've got a line that's probably of sufficient quality for ADSL if you can get it.