What Would You Do In This Situation?

coolxten

Incorrect change, tip, robbery, 10 baht, rude, torn, people taking rights of others,what Chiang Mai coming to? This kind of thing did not used to be a problem. The woman clearly should have been arrested and put in jail. Why didn't you call the police immediately?

That's why this forum is so popular - because of the funny posts like this. Hilarious. Well done. :D

I go into your pub now and again for a pint of Guinness .( good pint by the way ) .I pay with B200 .Why am i given the B20 change on a silver tray ?

We have silver service?

Actually, it's stainless steel. :)

Personally, I wouldn't have been waiting around for 10 baht change.

I usually tip anyway, so probably would have left another 20 baht besides.

By walking away. or worse, adding to the amount that she kept, you are rewarding bad behavior. Unless of course you feel it is not a problem to take what does not belong to you. In that case, perhaps you can start providing drinks on the house next time a customer frequents your establishment.

You can start with water

I wasn't saying that her actions were correct, only that I wouldn't have noticed it because I wouldn't have been hanging around waiting for 10 baht. As I said, assuming the service was okay (which is what the OP said), I probably would have left another 20 baht or so - a trifling amount to me. Some people like to convert it into percentages to make it sound a lot, but it's still only 30 baht. I like to tip, as a means of helping these generally low-paid workers. 

One way or another, I can't see the point in getting the slightest bit bothered about 10 baht. Principles, or not.

If you would like a free glass of water at The Red Lion all you have to do is ask - contrary to popular belief nobody has ever been refused free water. :)

Edited by KevinHunt

I wasn't saying that her actions were correct, only that I wouldn't have noticed it because I wouldn't have been hanging around waiting for 10 baht. As I said, assuming the service was okay (which is what the OP said), I probably would have left another 20 baht or so - a trifling amount to me. Some people like to convert it into percentages to make it sound a lot, but it's still only 30 baht. I like to tip, as a means of helping these generally low-paid workers.

The underlined section of your comment is what i believe the thread is about Kevin - the actions of the woman and whether or not she was right. Fail to see how all the other stuff about your tipping habits comes into it, fascinating though it is.

The underlined section of your comment is what i believe the thread is about Kevin - the actions of the woman and whether or not she was right. Fail to see how all the other stuff about your tipping habits comes into it, fascinating though it is.

Fair do's. Sorry about that, but 'fascinating' is my middle name! :)

I was once short changed for 5 baht in the Red Lion.

I immediately took action by shooting up the place with my AK49.

since, Kevin has been giving me free meals for the last 6 months.

Well, its the only way to make them see sense.

Edited by BigWheelMan

As the former-owner of a Thai restaurant catering to mostly Thais I can say that the notion that Thais don't tip is not true. Rubbish, in fact.

There will be a lot of farangs doing their best to forget that they read this. :D

Maybe, Ulysses but many will also take note of Puma's post (20) which actually sums up the reality. Showing that sole diners tip less as no one to show off to. A tip is a voluntary gesture.

I still think Kevin's tip percentage of 30 baht on 190 baht odd. Certainly not a Thai way, and certainly giving the wrong impression if service was not good

caf

First, you insinuated that tipping was not part of the Thai culture, now you seem to be arguing that tipping is OK, but foreigners - or at least Kevin - tip too much. It is nice that you are sharing your random thoughts, however, do you have a real point to make? :)

I had read this thread to my Thai boyfriend and he told me this...

He said it's OK to ask for your change...but it's kind of been like this for a really long time, he doesnt know who started it, but a lot of times, cashiers will keep the small change like 2, 3, 5, 10 baht..whatever...

In my opinion I think that she should offer to give the change and then if the customer says "keep it" then it would be more acceptable..but according to my boyfriend he says this is actually the "Thai way"

Take for example in a cab......the driver may round down if it is 52 baht and you give him 60 baht he may return 10 baht to you..so i guess it works both ways... rounding up or down, but there is nothing wrong with asking for your change...

edit* more info

Edited by ihunnieibee

The poor never get a break here. :)

Sad to read that view written by a man who has been here so long and is so financially successful. Generous tipping like Kevin practices is a start at giving them a break. Actually there are a lot of foreigners here who do give poor people a break regularly but apparently not in all circles.

Actually there are a lot of foreigners here who do give poor people a break regularly but apparently not in all circles.

You have an important point. I am over generalizing. Not all employers are out to take advantage. Some treat their employees very well. :)

I had read this thread to my Thai boyfriend and he told me this...

He said it's OK to ask for your change...but it's kind of been like this for a really long time, he doesnt know who started it, but a lot of times, cashiers will keep the small change like 2, 3, 5, 10 baht..whatever...

In my opinion I think that she should offer to give the change and then if the customer says "keep it" then it would be more acceptable..but according to my boyfriend he says this is actually the "Thai way"

Take for example in a cab......the driver may round down if it is 52 baht and you give him 60 baht he may return 10 baht to you..so i guess it works both ways... rounding up or down, but there is nothing wrong with asking for your change...

The point being that you shouldn't need to ask for your change whatever the amount. It's YOUR change after all and you are paying a bill. If one chooses to leave something, then that is all fine and dandy, but having it relegated to someone else's pocket without even a word is bad form and low class. Would it not be surprising for the cashier in 7-11 to keep your 3 baht when you buy a 7 baht bottle of water or is that the Thai way? Could you ask your boyfriend and report back.

Actually there are a lot of foreigners here who do give poor people a break regularly but apparently not in all circles.

You have an important point. I am over generalizing. Not all employers are out to take advantage. Some treat their employees very well. :)

"over generalizing"? That is a good one.

Also, it is not just employers.

Most foreigners tip through guilt albeit in a restaurant, tuk tuk or seelor (keep the 5 baht).

A lot of local people still view tipping as either "it's too cheap" or "they have loads of extra money to give away for free", so prices go up.

As I said before give or don't give it's up to you, but get rid of the useless guilt - you don't HAVE to tip.

Let the bar/restaurant owners pay a decent wage, so tipping isn't expected.