German Tourist Stabbed To Death In Phuket

george

My condolences to the man's family, another sad event in the LoS, :) .

Two weeks or so ago there was another German national murdered after an altercation whilst riding his motor cycle in Chiangmai, as far as I am aware the person responsible is still at large.

I think I am right in saying that in that case the MIB had the registration number of the vehicle involved?

The chances of these low life scum being brought before a court are very slim!

What is also sad that a circle is being created, 'Foreigner in Thailand gets murdered, raped, robbed, arrested for no apparent reason, assaulted by tuk tuk driver(s) etc= Less tourists= Less money for Thai's = More Foreigners being murdered, raped, arrested for no apparent reason..................I think you get the gist?

Is the establishment here so blinkered/short sighted that they cannot see this is/will happen?

Does TAT not realise that their plans to encourage 'big spenders' to the LoS, is because of bad press like this is not even a 'starter'?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad story.

Recently in the middle of the night I had a car full of young thai guys pissed at me for a small mistake on my part going down a oneway street.

They rolled down the window and screamed something at me. Before I could say anything they pulled over about 20 meters in front me and were exiting the car. I decided it was probably better to get out of there so I turned around and went against the one-way traffic (it was like 4 am so otherwise empty street). I managed to go about 10 seconds before the police stopped me. That resulted in a 1000 baht "fine" for driving against traffic. I guess that was probably not the worst outcome afterall........ :)

Two weeks or so ago there was another German national murdered after an altercation whilst riding his motor cycle in Chiangmai, as far as I am aware the person responsible is still at large.

I think I am right in saying that in that case the MIB had the registration number of the vehicle involved?

What is also sad that a circle is being created, 'Foreigner in Thailand gets murdered, raped, robbed, arrested for no apparent reason, assaulted by tuk tuk driver(s) etc= Less tourists= Less money for Thai's = More Foreigners being murdered, raped, arrested for no apparent reason..................I think you get the gist?

Is the establishment here so blinkered/short sighted that they cannot see this is/will happen?

Does TAT not realise that their plans to encourage 'big spenders' to the LoS, is because of bad press like this is not even a 'starter'?

To update your understanding on the Chiang Mai German being shot, The shooter was apprehended within 48 hrs. There were eye witness', the police had the rego [plate ] numbers,,,,, now have the truck, the man , the gun used and of course the accused.......denies it was him.

Wonder where the details about cutting in front and the middle finger gesture came from. Presumably there was a witness to that.

Good point. Assume, I guess, unmentioned witnesses are currently assisting police with their enquiries. Makes you think though.

Awful, shameful crime anywhere in the World but willful murder is such a dramatic response for something so petty, particularly for Thailand.

This is a lawless country trust me. There may be laws on the books but when you can pay a small fine on the spot or pay off the BIB and walk. Laws are not enforced, only two on a motorcycle - I see three or four everyday and the police do nothing. Drive on the wrong side of the road into traffic I see police doing this everyday. Carry children in the back of a pickup everyday and overloaded nothing said or done. Let a few more of them roll over and kill some more young lives and maybe one or two officers will think about stopping vehicles for a couple of days. If the BIB do not enforce the laws of the road then they in fact do not have laws of the road and the Thais drive as they please. Most don't even know the bare minimum of road rules as they have just paid for their driving licenses if they have one at all. My Brother in law has never had a motorcycle license. but he drives everyday and he is 68 years old.

Sorry for the rant and rave but this pisses me off.

If someone witnessing the murder from their car had subsequently knocked down the motorbike and punks with their vehicle, would the car driver be justified?

No. He would be charged with assault and reckless driving and the case would be held separate without connection to the first .

Yeah but I see bikes coming down the wrong way all the time and everyone just moves out of the way to avoid it like trying not to hit a soi dog.

So there you go, don’t piss of a soi dog or there going to bite!

They went the wrong way round a roundabout..

Then most Thais seem totally baffled as to how right of way works on those anyway.

I sincerely hope they make an absolute example of these idiots.

I can't help thinking that to react in such a manner to something that should be so insignificant you have to either be a psychopath or high. I know many of us think that life appears cheap in Thailand, but for giving the finger to someone?

To those who say that in some way because the perpetrators were provoked, I spit on you.

Now you gonna come and kill me? Don't forget to be real brave, bring a knife and a few mates just to make yourselves look like real big men.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Amazing Thailand!

If you want wealthy tourists then you need to offer a country where their is security for them. After all a wealthy tourist can vacation any where.

Many Thai people seem to have a violent rage under their false smiles. Despite their Budhist traditions sadly it does not seem to take much to bring out their murderous anger.

Thailand is developing the reputation with wealthy tourists as the place not to go on vacation in!

Very sad. Condolences to the family. These kids will never be caught. The BiB have many more important jobs to do than finding killers. Another soon to be unsolved case of violence against a foreigner in Thailand.

They never get caught because the cops have to arrest some foreigners with a packet of valium, which he bought over the counter. That doesn’t leave much time to look for the real crime.

To update your understanding on the Chiang Mai German being shot, The shooter was apprehended within 48 hrs. There were eye witness', the police had the rego [plate ] numbers,,,,, now have the truck, the man , the gun used and of course the accused.......denies it was him.

Thanks for the update , good news although it doesn't bring the guy back.......thanks again

Amazing Thailand!

If you want wealthy tourists then you need to offer a country where their is security for them. After all a wealthy tourist can vacation any where.

Many Thai people seem to have a violent rage under their false smiles. Despite their Budhist traditions sadly it does not seem to take much to bring out their murderous anger.

Thailand is developing the reputation with wealthy tourists as the place not to go on vacation in!

It’s a sad story, but I’m trying to understand the way they’re thinking. Even here in the lower north- east in my neighborhoods are many ‘educated’ Thais, mostly teachers.

They started to hate, better ‘dislike’ foreigners, who seem to be out of control, a simple example: A foreigner at the local market, not wearing a shirt making a “Wai” to a motorbike taxi driver as it would be the King, drunk like a m- fuc_ker. Goes on and on and on……………………………………………………………………

It was different a few years ago, but the truth is that too many weirdoes come to this country to do weird things. Sad, but it’s the truth.

Although I think the stabbing was unnecessary the man clearly provoked the boys, middle finger and probably swearing in English. This is seriously a big NO NO!!! I really wonder why farang can be some dumb sometimes.

You think the stabbing was unnecessary? What a :D

These little girls were obviously showing off in front of each other and wouldn't do squat on their tod. I expect they'll be waiing in the wat in the morning to absolve themselves. :)

There was a bit in the Thai press about it today. The title was something like 'Phuket teenagers stab to death farang they thought insulted their mother'. It's reported the youths initially turned and cut in front of him resulting in him beeping his horn at them. They gave chase and he gave the middle finger which further angered them. Not realising the danger he was in, he got out at a 7-11 to buy something where they surrounded and punched him, then one of them stabbed him and he died on his way to hospital. Apparently it was only 200m from Chalong police station. The motorcycle was a pink Yamaha Fino with no number plates.

Wonder where the details about cutting in front and the middle finger gesture came from. Presumably there was a witness to that.

All is so sad.

I agree. Who could know for the details such as gesture and cutting on the road???? Why it is not in report? That could be a lead to see what really happened.

If someone was in his car (who saw what happened on the road) probbably (just guessing) it might be some Thai woman. Younger then his ex was.

We saw he was separated from his woman (wife?). I would not be happy (i would not be surprised), if he was killed because he nad the new woman (as happened to another German before). If we could know about this some more details (person in the car) we could know it was planned attack.

I am wondering who made a call to his (separated) woman? What time? Why another man (Thai) picked up her phone? Who is that guy? If the call was late night, why another Thai man answered?If was made by Police in wish to inform some his relatives. Why she wasn't with her phone? Could be like making an alibi, coverage for his ex. (naive)

Motobike without plate perfectly match in this possible scenario. Seem like a planned murder.

These are just guessings. But the person who saw details on the road, is the clue. Thus the man who answered to the call, one his ex's phone.

I don't believe the reason for an argue would be honking to some wild in ride teenagers. There is something more behind.

German people are not easy to make them be out of control. He was age 66 amd in that age not so many of us would be wild-whatever we experience on the road. Poor guy is probbably long time in Thailand so i assume he knew how dangerous is to react or fight with stupid Thai kids on the road.

I will not buy this version of story from reports. As always, reports are confusing us all. Makes me sick about it.

RIP

Although I think the stabbing was unnecessary the man clearly provoked the boys, middle finger and probably swearing in English. This is seriously a big NO NO!!! I really wonder why farang can be some dumb sometimes. Around the world can get a good bashing for it? [/color]They are not familiar with western road rules and why should they? Probably borrow their mothers or gay brothers' bike just to chill with some friends.

When someone Honk their horn at me I get very angry but hold my breath and try to relax but it would satisfy me to go and pull them out of the car,

You should never lose your temper in Thailand or expect the worst!!

Mate, i am not sure, maybe i didn't see it well (report) but you said HE provoked them? Where you get that? I saw in reporrt that they cut him on the road. He made a honk in return. Am i wrong?

Amazing Thailand!

It’s a sad story, but I’m trying to understand the way they’re thinking. Even here in the lower north- east in my neighborhoods are many ‘educated’ Thais, mostly teachers.

They started to hate, better ‘dislike’ foreigners, who seem to be out of control, a simple example: A foreigner at the local market, not wearing a shirt making a “Wai” to a motorbike taxi driver as it would be the King, drunk like a m- fuc_ker. Goes on and on and on……………………………………………………………………

It was different a few years ago, but the truth is that too many weirdoes come to this country to do weird things. Sad, but it’s the truth.

I got your point...So the farang at the local market without shirt is for to kill?

On the other hand-at that local market and same moment, how many THAIS were without shirt?

I don't disagree with you about weirdoes here as i saw some of them but is it reason to be killed? (fiinger, in this case).

BTW-they HAVE way to stop weirdoes comming. Why they don't pay attention who is coming here? Laziness or obsession by the money and need for ANY tourism money incom?

Why so huge prostitution is here as a glue for weirdos?

I am afraid the topic you might pull is very long and, after all, will not say much good things for Thais. Btter be about sad thing happened to the German. Could be any of us, even we didn't show the finger to any of them or you wasn't without shirt at the local market.

As at least one poster has pointed out here, it would be wrong to jump to conclusions and assume the murderers just attacked a stranger who had "disrespected" them. There could easily be more to this and a very careful investigation of the deceased's finances and investments would reveal a lot more than idle hearsay and speculation.

There was a bit in the Thai press about it today. The title was something like 'Phuket teenagers stab to death farang they thought insulted their mother'. It's reported the youths initially turned and cut in front of him resulting in him beeping his horn at them. They gave chase and he gave the middle finger which further angered them. Not realising the danger he was in, he got out at a 7-11 to buy something where they surrounded and punched him, then one of them stabbed him and he died on his way to hospital. Apparently it was only 200m from Chalong police station. The motorcycle was a pink Yamaha Fino with no number plates.

All is so sad.

I agree. Who could know for the details such as gesture and cutting on the road???? Why it is not in report? That could be a lead to see what really happened.

If someone was in his car (who saw what happened on the road) probbably (just guessing) it might be some Thai woman. Younger then his ex was.

We saw he was separated from his woman (wife?). I would not be happy (i would not be surprised), if he was killed because he nad the new woman (as happened to another German before). If we could know about this some more details (person in the car) we could know it was planned attack.

I am wondering who made a call to his (separated) woman? What time? Why another man (Thai) picked up her phone? Who is that guy? If the call was late night, why another Thai man answered?If was made by Police in wish to inform some his relatives. Why she wasn't with her phone? Could be like making an alibi, coverage for his ex. (naive)

Motobike without plate perfectly match in this possible scenario. Seem like a planned murder.

These are just guessings. But the person who saw details on the road, is the clue. Thus the man who answered to the call, one his ex's phone.

I don't believe the reason for an argue would be honking to some wild in ride teenagers. There is something more behind.

German people are not easy to make them be out of control. He was age 66 amd in that age not so many of us would be wild-whatever we experience on the road. Poor guy is probbably long time in Thailand so i assume he knew how dangerous is to react or fight with stupid Thai kids on the road.

I will not buy this version of story from reports. As always, reports are confusing us all. Makes me sick about it.

RIP

There is some sense in this and it leads me to question the quoted reports of the incident. In Germany people almost never sound their horns, regardless of what happens in front of them, and it's illegal to make gestures to other drivers so it's unlikely that it would have been this poor guy's instinctive reaction, even if he was taken by surprise. The theory of a planned provocation and attack fits, in that: (i) armed only with a knife they would need to get him out of his truck, and (ii) the pink motorbike was probably stolen, hence the unlikely colour.

Anyway, it's a very sad and disturbing incident.

Edited by MrFrank

It must be extremely difficult after living there for some time, to remember what the basic travel books advise:

DO NOT get angry in Thailand.

Still... This is an understandable reaction from the guy and I do not blame the victim. There's no excuse for violence like this. And this is assuming the report is true -on its face.

Edited by ding

The German guy was a long term expat and he was not seperated from his wife. They both didnt live in Rawai as well which is wrongly claimed in one of the reports. I know/knew them both personally and in my opinion it was an incident as described - stinky finger to the wrong guys in the wrong situation. Of course it is terrible but I doubt that they would have behaved differently if "provoked" from another thai. They are animals and there is simply no point to ever argue and expect fairness in any kind of disagreement. Hint: you probably know how to deal with wild animals :)

My deep condolences.

Is it just me or does Phuket seem to have an over abundance of violence/disdain/anger towards foreigners. I'm supposed to accompany the Thai partner down next month for a couple of days, but I'm honestly having second thoughts. Seems it is open season on all foreigners there with no repercussions. :)

Not to sound harsh given the circumstances, but forgetting your in someone elses home turf for starters and then taking on 3 teenage boys who think nothing of driving recklessly, is not very smart. I'm sure it was a knee jerk reaction, but to follow it up with an argument in Thailand with these kids as a 66 year old farang...like I said...

Sadly this sort of bullsh*t seems to pervade everywhere.......hard to imagine the train of thought of these c*ck s**kers. They say in this country you should always moderate your emotions in situations such as these, put the face on...the 'mai pen rai" one. These fools evidently started on him as he stopped at the 7 - 11............only one way thats going to turn out and no amount of grinning inanely :) is going to stop it.