Re- Laying Internal Floor Tiles

micky44

hi to every one who can give me a bot of help please, the house we have almost bought has the most hideous internal floor tiles, they are all level and firm, but they make me feel i have had a night on Chang, when i promise i haven't! do they have to be removed or is it possible to tile over the top of them? if its possible is there a special adhesive to use? thanks for any input. Micky

but you have to consider, that it takes much longer than usual, until the cement gets hard and dry.wait at least 2 days until you walk on them.

only use good quality tile cement( i think there is a brand name like "Dragon.??...")

and dont use any special adhesive, maybe somebody will tell you and try to sell you, no need at all.

Edited by goldfinger

Laying them on top with a regular cement mortar will probably mean a higher finished floor level. You will need to consider how the new floor will finished to adjacent non-tiled floor as well as having skirtings of different levels.

I had mine removed. Pretty easy to do and took very little time. Base is cement and easy to setup for the new tiles. Like mentioned, if you go on top, your floor height is raised...which could cause problems with doors, jams, molding, etc. Real easy to remove it and new tiles are not that much money. Labor is cheap.