Chiang Mai In Chaos

prine

Taken from ‘Kuan Nam Hai Sai’ by Sarnsom, Opinion Page 5, Naew Na Newspaper, 27 January, 2010

imagevi.jpg

Chiang Mai in Chaos

As the court’s ruling date on the case of the 76 billion baht frozen assets of Thaksin Shinawatra is drawing near, the supporters of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, or DAAD, have been increasingly aggressive in their movement. This is especially true to the red shirts in Chiang Mai who have turned the province into something akin to a battlefield, waging wars against their opposition without regard to the law.

They flagrantly committ violent acts in the name of their supreme boss without a care about how the majority of Chiang Mai people feel. Allow me to give you a rundown on atrocities done by the red shirts so far.

During the administration of Somchai Wongsawat, fully armed red shirts surrounded a home of a leader of a PAD affiliated group in Chiang Mai. His name is Toedsak Jiamkijwattana and he operated a radio station which opposes Thaksin regime.

The unexpected happened. Settha, Toedsak’s father, was driving home when his vehicle was surrounded by the red shirts who proceeded to smash it with wooden and metal clubs. They dragged Settha out of the beat up car, stabbed and slashed him. They unleashed unspeakable malice on him before they shot him dead in the middle of the street.

The second incident involved two officials of the Constitution Court being attacked by the Rak Chiang Mai 51 group at the Chiang Mai International Airport. They were dragged and assaulted by the red shirts. Fortunately, both survived the attack with cuts and broken arms.

The police confiscated weapons from the red-shirts at their many gatherings. However, they were released on bail. They were violent at their gathering and their violence seems to know no bounds when the Rak Chiang Mai 51 group issued a threat to claim the life of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in November 2009.

January 24, 2010, red shirts in Chiang Mai province laid siege to a vacation house of Jermsak Pinthong in Doi Saked district where he and other figures of the PAD would meet for a small discussion. Jermsak decided to leave the house but the red shirts based their violent attack on a false claim, spread through a local radio station. They surrounded the house and launched violent attacks while some people remained in the house.

During the seizure, the electricity was cut. Fireworks were used to scare people who were trapped inside in house. Guns were fired to further intimidate them. Threats of physical violence against them were made. The false claim was that the house’s basement was filled with a narcotic stash and both PAD figures Jermsak Pinthong and Seri Wongmontha were in the house.

Stones and marbles were thrown at people inside. Most of them were children and women. Glasses on windowpanes were shattered. The house was being targeted while children and women shivered inside in the dark.

January 25, 2010, the red shirts surrounded the headquarters of Provincial Police Region 5 in Chiang Mai and staged a similar attack, including throwing fireworks at police officials.

Their intention seems to be bringing Chiang Mai and Thailand down along with their deposed boss, Thaksin. They act in the interest of one person without a regard for peace and interest of the country. Their red isn’t the same with the red on the national flag. Red on the flag means nation but their red means Thaksin. They do everything to serve and please Thaksin. Their actions lately have been increasingly intolerable as they act as if the northern provinces belong to Thaksin. Those who oppose him will be harmed and killed as if Chiang Mai has become a lawless land.

Allowing the red shirts to ravage Chiang Mai, (home of Newin Chidchob’s father-in-law and home to Suthep Thaugsuban’s old school) and take peace, that is rightly belonged to the public, hostage is unacceptable. They should not be allowed to act as if they are above law or serve the convict who remains on the run. They have turned the top tourist town of Thailand into a war-torn province too many times.

Shouldn’t certain people in high power such as Deputy PM for national security Suthep Thaugsuban or Interior Minister Chawarat Charnveerakul feel incompetent or ashamed of themselves for allowing atrocities in Chiang Mai to go on?

They shouldn’t stay dully in their posts. Good people are fondly remembered by their accomplishments and what they’ve done for the public. Isn’t it time for the security authorities, who have been appointed by His Majesty the King, to get serious about their jobs and step up their effort especially in this time when Thailand needs them the most.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-01-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the tourism sector in Chiang Mai is starting to go where?

It will help of course, number of tourists will rise with about 30-50% I would guess. Especially among the big spenders, which they now are concentrating on attracting to the country

If they start a civil war, it could be even better for the tourism sector. The hotels will then make lots of money, as people does not dare to go out.

It is this sort of things the big spenders want to enjoy, when they come to Amazing Thailand. :)

Edited by bellste

I dont know who is right or wrong , but mob violence is a certified nightmare.

All these incidents above are on par with closing down a county's airspace.

I don't want any revolution in Thailand and I think that the current government is the best chance for peace until they are voted out of office. They have been legally elected and the PM seems to be a good man. However, Thaksin's supporters have every reason to be angry that he was legally elected more than once and was never voted out of office. He was their choice and he was thrown out of office illegally. No one can blame them for peaceful protest.

Some of them have gotten as violent, as have their opponents, but all in all they have never done anything that would hurt Thailand's image or tourist industry nearly as much as closing down the airport did. Everyone keeps claiming that they are going to, but they have never risen to the bait.

They deserve credit where it is due. So far, they have considered other Thais much more than the other side ever did and hopefully they will continue to do so until things are settled peacefully. Maybe Thai love Thai is not so far out there after all.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV friends,

When we read something like this : we ask ourselves :

1. Who wrote this at this particular time for what motive ?

2. Who owns the paper that published this : what is their source of revenue, and who pays the writer. Is the paper "officially" associated with a given political party ?

3. Is this being reported as "news," or is it an "op-ed," or "editorial."

4. How could we possibly evaluate the accuracy of the details (answer : we can't)

Then we just pray that this country we love, Thailand, and in which we are a guest, finds its own path to peace ... in spite of history, and the preponderance of evidence that the "path to peace" most often meanders across the "killing fields" on its way to ... ?

And in public here, we have no opinions.

best, ~o:37;

I came across the bridge across the Mae Ping on Mahidol Road this afternoon and they've set up a stage and blocked most of the road just in front of the police station. The people I saw looked akin to the thugs of the blackshirts in the 30s. However, they have a lot of support in the North and it's a brave police captain that orders his officers to break up these gatherings.

I don't want any revolution in Thailand and I think that the current government is the best chance for peace until they are voted out of office. They have been legally elected and the PM seems to be a good man.

I'm not a redshirt fan but I don't remember an election that Abhisit won.

I don't want any revolution in Thailand and I think that the current government is the best chance for peace until they are voted out of office. They have been legally elected and the PM seems to be a good man.

I'm not a redshirt fan but I don't remember an election that Abhisit won.

Oy vey, here we go again. Thailand is a parliamentary system. His party did well enough to form a coalition with other parties to become PM. That's how its done here, with so many parties.

image2xe.jpg

Red-Shirt Leaders Report to Police over Unruly Protests in Chiang Mai

Key leaders of the local red-shirt group in Chiang Mai province have turned themselves in to police after being issued arrest warrants for inciting Sunday's rowdy protest.

Key leaders of the red-shirt supporters called 'Loving Chiang Mai 51 Group' reported to police yesterday to answer charges of instigating a violent protest at the home of former Senator Chermsak Pinthong in Doi Saked district on Sunday.

The gathering reportedly involved the use of slingshots and fire crackers, causing damage to private property.

Arrest warrants were issued by the Chiang Mai provincial court on Tuesday for Kanyapak Maneechak, Bhumjai Chaiya, and Itthipon Sukpaen.

The group's chief adviser Petcharawat Wattanapongsirikul led some fifty red-shirt supporters in offering moral support to the accused.

The three were released after Wirat Buakhum used his position as Cherng Doi village chief to secure bail.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-01-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

3. Is this being reported as "news," or is it an "op-ed," or "editorial."

4. How could we possibly evaluate the accuracy of the details (answer : we can't)

3. It's an editorial opinion (as stated on the first line) that appeared in the Naew Na newspaper. The opinion is based upon news events .

4. The details of the events are accurate and have been reported in many other news outlets in addition to the Naew Na newspaper.

Edited by prine

Well its not so long ago that City Life Magazine published an interview ,with the self proclaimed leader of the red shirt movement,who made it very clear what their agenda is. I was at the time disappointed that there seems to be an apathetic interest from all living here in CM. If Thaksins funds are not returned it could get very nasty and that scenario is moving ever closer.

If I'm not mistaken the whole issue started because Jermsak (as mentioned above) called Northerners (or maybe some in particular) stupid.

Local reaction to that seems to be ... are you doing here then.

This has progressed to police hq and I think there are other issues with police going back a few months.

Yeah, like loaded I drove over the Ping today around 5:30 PM (on Superhighway).

Utter chaos. Traffic backed up on both sides for the demonstration.

Really doesn't look too good.

And I think it will continue, and ramp up more as we approach 26 Feb.

Yeah, like loaded I drove over the Ping today around 5:30 PM (on Superhighway).

Utter chaos. Traffic backed up on both sides for the demonstration.

Really doesn't look too good.

And I think it will continue, and ramp up more as we approach 26 Feb.

To prove my general lack of knowledge :)

What is happening on feb 26?

I spent a month in c.mai over new year. Having spent a lot of time in c.mai in the past, I follow the news closely. Even with my experience of the place, I was expecting to find at least a bit of tension in the atmosphere. But i never saw a single redshirt. Im not sujesting it isnt happening,and i didnt go very far, but around the moon muang area all seemed as normal. What im saying is, to your average tourist, thailand sounds like a dangerouse place to be. I think "mai pen rai" is stronger than political opinion in thailand. Or i could be totally wrong....

I see 'Rak C M 51' continue to show understanding of the democratic way of doing things, threatening to run a violent protest, until they get their way. Now I wonder, which one of their heroic leaders, has set the example which they try to emulate ? :)

Surprise. This is no different than what the PAD and current government did to get into power. Although this article is an opinion, not a report, there will be some truth in the actual actions they say happened, I'm sure.

But one thing is better now than with what the PAD did; at least there name reflects the truth, instead of a load of bullsh*t like the last lot.

Oy vey, here we go again. Thailand is a parliamentary system. His party did well enough to form a coalition with other parties to become PM. That's how its done here, with so many parties.
That's not supposed to be how it's done. That's how minorities manage to grab at power and swarm over the majority government, in this case, Thaksin had the support of the majority portion of Thailand.

When smaller parties band together, it's a unition of hatred against the larger party. The only way they can do it is by abandoning their individual policies so they can stand together and everyone gets a slice of the cake. In the end, there's nothing left in them. They're a bunch of incapable individuals who've managed to do nothing but remove a popular goverment from office, and now they've niether the power nor unity to perform any decent change or move forward with the country.

The fact is, this government has no face and it was not elected.

To add to what CMSally posted - they are demanding that Provincial Police Region 5 regional police chief Pol Lt-Gen Somkid Boonthanom be suspended because he has been indicted in the Criminal Court in connection with the disappearance of a Saudi businessman in 1990.

Should someone (a police chief!) be allowed to continue in their position when they are implicated in very serious criminal matters (murder)?

Suspension seems a very reasonable request in my opinion, and the red shirt group should be commended for making a stand on this issue (and in my opinion its a pity there were not more of the citizenry concerned about such matters)