Tct Teacher's License - Rejected

A mate of mine just applied for the teacher's license in Thailand. He has a B.A. in English Literature and Teacher Certification (35 education credits). He was a licensed teacher in Georgia and taught in Georgia government high schools for 3 years. He was rejected because the TCT doesn't think his education credits fit what they are looking for. Obviously they can't say what else he needs or what precisely was missing, but there it is. Rejected.

This suggests to me that even if I were to return to my home county. Do the coursework. Get licensed. Work in US schools for several years, I still wouldn't qualify to be a teacher in Thailand.

What kind of nonsense is this?

Thus far, and I haven't encountered it this year, but certainly last year, if they had an education degree and were licensed in their home country, they got a license. Not a waiver, but an actual license. I don't know what changed.

They are not getting enough paying suckers for their 'courses' and so there is an obvious need to fail more people so that they will obviously take TCT-member-owned-company's 'educational' 'courses.' Avoiding appearing to be completely incompetent doesn't even enter the picture as a priority, because it is not financial..

As far as I am aware, a year's worth of educational credits is all that is technically required, though I believe there may be an additional requirement that it leads to a 'certificate.' Since your friend 'only' has the credits and teacher's license, but not the 'certificate,' that's probably the box that isn't ticked.

Their guidelines are nearly completely non-transparent and no one is 'able' to say exactly what is being looked for- probably because none of them actually knows.

The background check should have been presented for his visa, and that would have been the initial point of denial, but it could be the problem. I doubt it, but it's possible. But then anything is possible in Thailand.

The background check should have been presented for his visa, and that would have been the initial point of denial, but it could be the problem. I doubt it, but it's possible. But then anything is possible in Thailand.

Many Thai consulates and embassies don't require a police check. I'm not even sure Penang or Vietianne do and it's never been a requirement for an extension at immigration in Chiang Mai as far as I know.

Did your friend apply for his license on his own? Did he/does he have a job in Thailand lined up yet? I just ask because I wonder if his school/company could help him. I have a teaching license, but I didn't have anything to do with the actual application process. My school does all that for us. They just tell us which documents they need us to provide, which courses we need to take (like the Thai Language & Culture), and where to sign. We have about 200 teachers at my school, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. If he has a job, maybe he could ask the HR department if they can help him, or at least call the TCT and find out what the problem was.

Many Thai consulates and embassies don't require a police check. I'm not even sure Penang or Vietianne do and it's never been a requirement for an extension at immigration in Chiang Mai as far as I know.

There is no background check for a visa. A visa can be issued in the States, or somewhere else outside of Thailand, but that doesn’t mean that the Immigration let you in. For my opinion there’s something missing in the story.

As I stated elsewhere, the police clearance is for the work permit. We send the paperwork, including the police clearance (or the application for one) to immigration. The last time we didn't, the officer asked where it was. A visa wasn't issued until the receipt from the Royal Thai Police was given to them. In our case, either the left hand knows what the right hand requires, or they are accustomed to seeing that paper. The point here is that without it the visa wasn't given. Best of luck arguing with the officer who holds the little stamp in her hand. The police checks maybe unique to those who plan to teach and not other professions. I have no heard of anyone applying for an education (study) visa needing a police clearance, for example. People who have been residents in Thailand or holders of previous work permits don't seem to need them either.

I don't think we should belabor the police clearance. It was a questioned that was raised. I doubt, but I don't know, if the Teacher's Council is even aware of what all is required for foreigners to obtain the proper papers.

Thailand is obviously very fickle about things. I don't know of a single person who has been turned down for a TL or a waiver. We have teachers who have routinely been given 2 year waivers, and still are. I know of no one who has taken the exams. I know of no one who has signed up for any courses. I do know of people who didn't take the Thai Cultural Training (I am one) and was still used with a TL.

At any rate, we digress and hopefully we can further clarify or some experiences of other posters.

Thai Police Clearance Instructions:

Police Clearance Service Center (Sub-Division 2, General Staff

Division, Special Branch Bureau)

Monday to Friday (Except Public Holidays), from 08.30 am . – 04.30 pm.

without lunch break.

The Police Clearance Service Center is located at Building 24, Royal

Thai Police Headquarters, Rama I, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Phone number: 0-2205-2168-9

Directions

The best way to get to the Royal Thai Police Headquarters is by taking

BTS to Siam Square station. The entrance is located on Rama I Rd,

halfway between Henry Dunant and Ratchadamri Rds.

Documents required (foreign applicant)

1) Passport with two photocopies of first page and two of the current visa page

2) Document(s) certify that the applicant is working, used to work, or

is residing in Thailand (Non-Imm B or job offer should be enough)

Notes

No charge for the police certificate itself. They will fingerprint you

and take your picture while there. If you want the certificate mailed

to you, you’ll have to pay a fee for postage. Otherwise, you can pick

up the certificate in about 2 weeks.

Regards,

John

SEE TEFL

http://seetefl.com

Forum Sponsor

quote:

Thailand is obviously very fickle about things. I don't know of a single person who has been turned down for a TL or a waiver. We have teachers who have routinely been given 2 year waivers, and still are. I know of no one who has taken the exams. I know of no one who has signed up for any courses. I do know of people who didn't take the Thai Cultural Training (I am one) and was still used with a TL.

At any rate, we digress and hopefully we can further clarify or some experiences of other posters

I don't know anyone who has been turned down either. A couple of our Filipino teachers who have Ed degrees just had to show their degree and transcripts to the TC and were immediately issued 6 month temporary TL's. One of the requirements was possessing the Thai culture course certificate which we all took close to 2 years ago.

Teachers in my department who do not possess a Bachelors in Education ( including myself) were required to sign up for the next round of TLT in order to get another waiver. The TC will issue the waiver as long as the teacher has paid for the tests (and possess the culture course cert.), so no receipt, no waiver. It would nice if there was some consistency, so everyone can stay on the same page.

Edited by mizzi39