No More Cheating At Petrol Stations

webfact

Fuel colouring starts on Feb 1

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- From February 1, fuel products will be available in different colours, to prevent illegal mixture. Initially, octane-91 petrol will become yellow, octane-95 petrol blue, diesel B5 red. The colouring of all products will be completed in a few months.

Business Energy Department Director-General Peerapol Sakarin said some fuel stations sold diesel B5 as diesel B2 which is of a higher price. Likewise, gasohol is disguised as conventional petrol. Consumers will now know if they are cheated.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"Consumers will now know if they are cheated"

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

Used to be a time years back (in the uk anyway) when fuel pumps had a glass dome on them & you could see what you were getting. Alas, long gone with the advent of pumps capable of charging over 100p per litre. (average price of diesel here now about 58.76 bht)

Hi,

Can you help me to undertand why 95 gasoline is sold around 30 thb and another one around 40 thb ? (gasohol and ?)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gasoline-gas...63#entry3301363

Thanks.

You sure your not comparing 95 gasohol and 95 regular..

95 regular is hard to get here (shell for me) and isnt cheap.. When everyone complains about western fuels they seem to omit that the like for like comparison is much closer, its only when you trade to the low octane stuff its cheap.

Coming from the UK originally I find it hilarious that road legal diesel will be died red!

And in any case (particularly in Thailand) how is a fuel die going to give me any confidence that fuel is not just some bogus fuel with some colouring in it?!?!?

Disclosure : I don't think I've ever been ripped of for fuel in Thailand anyway. What is this all about!???!

Coming from the UK originally I find it hilarious that road legal diesel will be died red!

And in any case (particularly in Thailand) how is a fuel die going to give me any confidence that fuel is not just some bogus fuel with some colouring in it?!?!?

Disclosure : I don't think I've ever been ripped of for fuel in Thailand anyway. What is this all about!???!

As long as you don't die before you dye, you should be OK,OK?

How many people in Thailand actually get out their cars to check what is being put in ???....what you going to do demand a "p*ss test" of the pump before they put the fuel in

Used to be a time years back (in the uk anyway) when fuel pumps had a glass dome on them & you could see what you were getting. Alas, long gone with the advent of pumps capable of charging over 100p per litre. (average price of diesel here now about 58.76 bht)

Diesel in the UK is coloured for tax reasons

Actually during WWII in the UK they used to dye agricultural diesel as well, something to do with rationing and if you were caught with red diesel in your car, you had bought illegally.....so may be not so hilarious.. :)

that is a good idea if they are implementing those glass balls into the pumps to have an option to look what they are putting in.

other than that it would have no effect on fraud

Why...are inventive friends here in Thailand would just paint the glass the appropriate colour anyway.... :)

How is that going to stop the most popular cheat, not resetting the pump between customers?

I doubt if people will go to look at the color of gas even if they do will be hard to recognize.

I think is more about integrity than coloring the gas. They can and will still cheat. Some of these are embedded in the attitude of business over here

Diesel in the UK is coloured for tax reasons

Same in the US, colored is for boats and are not charged the road tax.

This new system is great! Now before each fillup I will get out of my vehicle at the petrol station, demand a few ounces be shot onto the pavement so I can confirm the B5 read fuel color, and then I will allow the station of fill up my vehicle. This system is fool (fuel)-proof because there is no way a liquid can easily be altered in color plus all customers will be checking for the proper fuel color, right? :)

Actually the colours they are using seems to match the 'shirt' brigades.

Just imagine one of the red shirts at a filling station:

Arisman: hey, why are you putting yellow fuel in my car?

Attendant: It's the government, sir. You'll have to get a pick-up.

:)

• Sad 1

Who really cares? There are two choices: BAck to the West where you have to fill up yourself and where even Bill Gates's hand do stink after the fuel he has to put him in himself or conveniently paying almost nothing for a liter of petrol filled up by a nice person who does the windows and give you a bottle of water. I would not even bother to get out and to check the color of the water they put in... As long as the care drives, it's fine with me.

Well, for Tailand it might be useful to colorize the fuel:

Look at it the German way, just for diesel fuel:

Aral is being coloured blue, according to their advertisements, it contains engine cleaning additves ("..cleanes you engine while you drive.")

Esso or Exxon is being coloured light red, according to their advertisements, it does contain special additives to support valve seat cleaning and less fuel consumption, according to one website up to 2,7%! (a darker red is for only for agricultaral vehicles exempted from tax.)

Shell is coloured light yellow, according to their advertisements, it contains additives which will support the performance of the engine, promising more power, less fuel consumption and more ( Shell V-Power Diesel with consuption reduction formula).

I did work at these filling stations, and it is just a very small bag of highly intensive colour being added to a fuel tanker for every 10.000 Liters of diesel. The diesel fuel being filled into the fuel tankers itself is absolutely the same stuff for every single company.

I think, Thailand with the regulation of colouring various types of gasoline is way ahead of the German solution.

BANGKOK: -- From February 1, fuel products will be available in different colours, to prevent illegal mixture. Initially, octane-91 petrol will become yellow, octane-95 petrol blue, diesel B5 red. The colouring of all products will be completed in a few months

Smart color choice. Now all the gas station owner has to do is tell all his employees to piss in the octane-91 petrol tank.

BANGKOK: -- From February 1, fuel products will be available in different colours, to prevent illegal mixture. Initially, octane-91 petrol will become yellow, octane-95 petrol blue, diesel B5 red. The colouring of all products will be completed in a few months

Smart color choice. Now all the gas station owner has to do is tell all his employees to piss in the octane-91 petrol tank.

The piss will always sink to the bottom of the tank, and when you catch it in your carb, you won't be able to start up your car or motorcycle.

If the piss and the fuel is mixed up for whatever reason, it will boost the performance of your car, as water expands 400 fold, when it is being heated up to steam!!! Go for it! Don't miss the highway exit, where you want to get off!!