Renewal Of 5 Year Drivers License

chiang mai

I've read in the CM forum that renewal of the Thai 5 year drivers license can be done 90 days prior to expiry, can any Phuket expats confirm whether this is possible in Phuket or alternatively, relate your experiences? I ask this question because my 5 year license is due for renewal at a time when I am out of country and I really don't want to revert to the 1 year license hence the information is important to me.

Many thanks in advance,

I've always been told by the driving office to apply the day after my license expired. I think the logic to this is that the new license 5 year is dated from the date of your birthday, so if you apply before the date your license will be dated for 5 year from the last birthday. When you go the day after you actually get 5 years from the next birthday = validity period of 5 years and 364days.

At least this is what I am assuming. Maybe someone knows better ??

There's some sort of odd rule that differentiates the renewal process of the one year license from the five year license, one has to be renewed before it expires and the other has to be renewed after. I believe, from what I have read, that the five year license must be renewed beforehand hence my original post.

Anyone else, please!

5 year license does NOT have to be renwed before expiry- I did mine last month about 2 weeks AFTER expiry.

There's some sort of odd rule that differentiates the renewal process of the one year license from the five year license, one has to be renewed before it expires and the other has to be renewed after. I believe, from what I have read, that the five year license must be renewed beforehand hence my original post.

Anyone else, please!

5 year license does NOT have to be renwed before expiry- I did mine last month about 2 weeks AFTER expiry.

Anyone else, please!

Anyone else please, I've asked if the 5 year license CAN be renewed before expiry, thanks anyway Mike.

The 1 year is after expiry (you must have held it a full 1 year of you dont get the 5, you get another 1)..

I was always told you must not let the 5 year expire or they could refuse to renew it.. Having had a few new licenses due to address changes I have never gone 5 years.

As far as I know, you should wait until at least one day after your current licence (1 year or 5 years) has expired before applying for a new 5 year one.

If you apply before your current licence has expired, your new licence will only be valid for one year.

The 1 year is after expiry (you must have held it a full 1 year of you dont get the 5, you get another 1)..

I was always told you must not let the 5 year expire or they could refuse to renew it.. Having had a few new licenses due to address changes I have never gone 5 years.

Many thanks LOS, when you had your address change did that reflect also a change on th expiry date? I've had an address change in Phuket on my 5 yr licence but the expiry date has always remained the same.

Once again, for the benefit of new viewers, can a 5 year license be renewed in Phuket, BEFORE the renewal date.

As far as I know, you should wait until at least one day after your current licence (1 year or 5 years) has expired before applying for a new 5 year one.

If you apply before your current licence has expired, your new licence will only be valid for one year.

Definitely wait until the one year has expired, the five year is I believe very different.

I'm not from Phuket but I have been renewing Thai driver license for 15 years. For the first 5 or 6 it was only allowed for 1 year. The 5 year ones have been set to my birthday. I have NEVER been allowed to renew before the license expires. And, I have renewed up to 3 months after expire. (I hear you can do it up to 1 year after but not sure.) So, unless you plan to be away for a LONG time, I wouldn't worry about it. Cheers.

Just renewed my one year licence to a five year licence in Phuket today.

Definitely one year licence needs to have expired before renewal and think it can be renewed up to 12 months after expiry.

My old one year licence expired yesterday two weeks less than 12 months.

The issue date of my new 5 year licence is 13 February, the same as the 12 month anniversary of my old one year licence.

Licence valid for 5 years and 10 months until my birthday in October 2015.

I first went today at 8:30 am ...what a madhouse. Returned 1:30pm after lunch whole process took 10 minutes.

Sanuk

Edited by sanuk21

chang mai, perhaps you will let us all know if you can renew you license early, and still have 5 years period, from the original expiry date. I know for a fact that I could renew earlier than the expiry back in the days when license's were only issued to foreigners for one year at a time, and not loose any days. But I believe that all changed when they started issuing the 5 years license (to both Thais & Forigners) and with validity linked to birth date.

Many thanks LOS, when you had your address change did that reflect also a change on th expiry date? I've had an address change in Phuket on my 5 yr licence but the expiry date has always remained the same.

Once again, for the benefit of new viewers, can a 5 year license be renewed in Phuket, BEFORE the renewal date.

Yes it gave it another 5 years up to my birthday..

I was real stupid and did it before my birthday by a month, if I had been smart I could have done the 5 years 11 months trick but really.. I doubt I will make it the 5 years without moving or getting another.

Yes it gave it another 5 years up to my birthday..

I was real stupid and did it before my birthday by a month, if I had been smart I could have done the 5 years 11 months trick but really.. I doubt I will make it the 5 years without moving or getting another.

Interesting how we all have different experiences. I changed the address on my 5 year license from Chiang Mai to Phuket last year and the expiry date was left as July of this year. Looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to the DVLC in Phuket and ask. FWIW, the CM forum reports that 5 year licenses there can be renewed up to 90 days prior but if you wait and try to renew after the expiry date you will revert to a one year license!!!

Could it have been that your address change was inside the first year ?? That way they would take it up to the next birthday, so if it was inside the first year the 'next birthday' is the same as the issuing years next birthday ?? I have made a mouthful of explaining that but you get me ??

I was always told.. If I let the 5 year expire its done, and I would expect to get another 1 year, as per your example.. I was always told the 1 year is like a provisional and you have to have owned it a full year before your allowed the 5 year, hence the reason for the odd way it works, year 1 must be a complete year plus, after that always before the expiry. But not ever had a 5 year expire as I do get new ones when I move.

Could it have been that your address change was inside the first year ?? That way they would take it up to the next birthday, so if it was inside the first year the 'next birthday' is the same as the issuing years next birthday ?? I have made a mouthful of explaining that but you get me ??

I was always told.. If I let the 5 year expire its done, and I would expect to get another 1 year, as per your example.. I was always told the 1 year is like a provisional and you have to have owned it a full year before your allowed the 5 year, hence the reason for the odd way it works, year 1 must be a complete year plus, after that always before the expiry. But not ever had a 5 year expire as I do get new ones when I move.

No, the address change on my 5 year license was done in year 5, change made in Nov 09 and expiry remained July 10.

Interesting how we all have different experiences. I changed the address on my 5 year license from Chiang Mai to Phuket last year and the expiry date was left as July of this year. Looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to the DVLC in Phuket and ask. FWIW, the CM forum reports that 5 year licenses there can be renewed up to 90 days prior but if you wait and try to renew after the expiry date you will revert to a one year license!!!

They told my friend in Phuket, 5 year licenses must be renewed before or max. 2 weeks after expired date. If you have problems in Phuket to renew it then go to Phang Nga. Very easy there, they dont mind, no rules and friendly fast. I did it there the last times.

No, the address change on my 5 year license was done in year 5, change made in Nov 09 and expiry remained July 10.

Odd as I have double checked and its as I state for me.. Just more of the TiT scene..

As a bit of added data last address change was also my first 'new style' license in english as opposed to the old style ones you had to go get laminated yourself.. Shouldnt make any difference but ???

Anyone else please, I've asked if the 5 year license CAN be renewed before expiry, thanks anyway Mike.

No, it can not on Phuket. I have tried and was told: after it has expired (which means you'll almost get 6 years, because it is valid till your birthday).

Two weeks ago I went to renew my temproary (one-year) motorcycle driver's license at the Phuket transport department.

Because of reports here onthe Forum, I specifically asked several officers there (in Thai) whether the license had to expire before renewing for five years.

They said that used to be the rule. But the rule has recently been changed. Now you can renew up to 60 days before expiration.

While, in my case, I was asking about renewing the one-year temporary license, I assume the 60-day period applies to the five-year renewal as well.

Since I have time on my hands I will stop by and ask them about the five-year renewal window period and report back.

For phuket, Last year i went in with my previous 5 year old style license and asked them for a renewal 1 month in advance and told them i was going out of the country for 6 weeks. I also told them that they had my birthdate wrong (they had it as May not March) so after eye test and waitng about 30 minutes got my new style license good for 6 years!! good thru 2015

NOT at all. The license issue date is when you first got it. Mine reads Feb 1987....expires on my birthdaye 2015 and i got it last year.

Odd because my 'new style' has an issued when they issued it, and I have had a 5 year a while before that with the old style..