Gardening In Thailand

The weekend market is a madhouse and a sauna.

I only lasted 10 minutes.

Sure, a huge selection but communication was difficult, everything jammed in, hard to do business.

The guy behing Bic C on Ekami Soi6 is great. Says he's been there 40 years.

Good selection of plants, pots, fertilizer, speaks some english and delivers.

Much better then the weekend market but costs are higher.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Udon

Lamduan Melodorum fruticosum

Sarapee Mammea siamensis

Kan Grao Fagraea fragrans

Bunnag Mesua ferrea

Some other very nice ones in my garden here in Bangkok:

Payom Shorea roxburghii

Prayong Aglaia odorata

Puttachart Jasminium auriculatum

Malisorn Jasminium sambac

Kannikar Nyctanthes arbor-tristis

Jankapor Vatica diospyrides Syming

Jampee Michelia alba

Nom Maew Rauwenhoffia siamensis

If you are interested in these type of Thai plants etc., try to get hold of a set of 3 books by Dr. Piya Chalermklin “Mai Dork Horm” (sorry I can’t type Thai on this Computer)

ISBN 974-8366-93-6

ISBN 974-8366-94-4

ISBN 974-7751-60-7

They are all in Thai but by far the best reference I have found.

Patrick

Got a bunch of those from JJ last weekend. Thanks for the tip! Price ranged between B50 and B150, got them from a shop in section 50 (right under the orange sign that reads 50). They had a very good selection of decorative and fruit trees. Also tried to get Bauhinia Blakeana as recommended by another poster but couldn't find it anywhere at JJ so I settled for a bunch of Bauhinia Purpurea instead.

Btw, www.rspg.thaigov.net is a good place to look for info in Thai on these and many other local species:

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...ata/hom-47a.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...pl/pdata_37.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/plants_data/pl...ac/ffragr_1.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...ata/hom-27a.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...ata/hom-19a.htm

I should also say that it pays to be patient when choosing what may be called “Classic” trees to plant in Thailand. (In Thai a common term is “Wannakadee Thai”)

Many of the species I mention in an earlier Post are quite slow growing – Lamduan for example will not usually flower for about 10 years.

It is therefore tempting to buy trees from Garden Centers or whatever which look “old” - i.e. with trunks over, say, 3” - 4” in diameter - and transplant them onto your own property – this can be an expensive mistake because, usually, the trees were carelessly uprooted and the Tap Root was severed; the tree never really recovers from this abuse and rarely thrives.

It is much better to buy smaller seedlings and wait for them to get properly established in your own Garden.

Patrick

Got a bunch of those from JJ last weekend. Thanks for the tip! Price ranged between B50 and B150, got them from a shop in section 50 (right under the orange sign that reads 50). They had a very good selection of decorative and fruit trees. Also tried to get Bauhinia Blakeana as recommended by another poster but couldn't find it anywhere at JJ so I settled for a bunch of Bauhinia Purpurea instead.

Sorry, soi 50, section 4. Went back today and picked up some coffee plants in the same shop. Unsure if it will turn into an arabica bush or a canephora tree or some other kind of coffea - does anyone have any hints how to identify the species? Also got a couple of rain trees from another shop a few sois down. Tomorrow is planting time... :o

I should also say that it pays to be patient when choosing what may be called “Classic” trees to plant in Thailand. (In Thai a common term is “Wannakadee Thai”)

Many of the species I mention in an earlier Post are quite slow growing – Lamduan for example will not usually flower for about 10 years.

It is therefore tempting to buy trees from Garden Centers or whatever which look “old” - i.e. with trunks over, say, 3” - 4” in diameter - and transplant them onto your own property – this can be an expensive mistake because, usually, the trees were carelessly uprooted and the Tap Root was severed; the tree never really recovers from this abuse and rarely thrives.

It is much better to buy smaller seedlings and wait for them to get properly established in your own Garden.

What are the characteristics of the other species you mentioned? Growth rate, preferred soil conditions (got a lot of clay rich (sometimes only clay) soil but will plant them in humus rich bagged soil), preferred distance from other trees etc?

Jatujak Market

Kamphaeng Phet 2 Rd, runs north south.

Kamphaeng Phet Rd, runs east west.

post-2707-1149738696_thumb.jpg

The green roofs are the new section, on the (eastern side of Kamphaeng Phet 2 rd) open every day.

Many plant vendors on the south side of Kamphaeng Phet Rd. 7 days...... I think. :D

Moh Chit station is in the top rt corner.

post-2707-1149739119_thumb.jpg

The open section in the centre looks like the Erawon shrine.

A couple of good cafes where you can sit outside and have a coffee and a fag.

A good place to arrange to meet up if separated from friends.

Impossible to see the shrine on weekends as it is blanketed by vendors.

Looking for a parrot or tropical fish, this is the area to head for. :o

For a little bit of something different, get off the Skytrain at Saphan Khwai.

Walk north 150m,on the west side of the rd , cross the klong and enter the 1st entry on your left, 100m inside you will see a great collection of parrots, cockatoos and cage vendors.

Keep walking towards the large rectangular building (top left in pic) on the sth side of Kamphaeng Phet rd.

This is a fairly new vegetable market with many food vendors.

From here you can access Jatujak by crossing Kamphaeng Phet rd. via a pedestrian bridge.

The new metro stn is at the foot of these stairs.

Enjoy :o

post-2707-1149742291_thumb.jpg

PS. Saphan Khwai station is at the bottom of the pic, where it says "Streaming"

I'm an avid gardener/landscaper, and one of the perks of living in Thailand for me would be to have a tropical garden, but when I was over there I didn't see any plant shops. I'm sure there are some, but where? Is there an assortment of non-native/non-invasive species? What about rare plants?

Another question -- does a nice garden add equity to your home in Thailand like it does in the States and the UK?

d:ph34r: darling.. thre are plant shops everywhere

Hi

For a specimen plant Blue Palm (Bismarkia) takes a lot of beating

.post-24662-1148154927_thumb.jpg

TBWG :o

Beautiful pic ! any idea what is blue palm called in thai??? available easily in thailand? live in chiang mai and would go ask them at kamtiang market.

Edited by tigerbeer

Hi Udon

Lamduan Melodorum fruticosum

Sarapee Mammea siamensis

Kan Grao Fagraea fragrans

Bunnag Mesua ferrea

Some other very nice ones in my garden here in Bangkok:

Payom Shorea roxburghii

Prayong Aglaia odorata

Puttachart Jasminium auriculatum

Malisorn Jasminium sambac

Kannikar Nyctanthes arbor-tristis

Jankapor Vatica diospyrides Syming

Jampee Michelia alba

Nom Maew Rauwenhoffia siamensis

If you are interested in these type of Thai plants etc., try to get hold of a set of 3 books by Dr. Piya Chalermklin “Mai Dork Horm” (sorry I can’t type Thai on this Computer)

ISBN 974-8366-93-6

ISBN 974-8366-94-4

ISBN 974-7751-60-7

They are all in Thai but by far the best reference I have found.

Patrick

Btw, www.rspg.thaigov.net is a good place to look for info in Thai on these and many other local species:

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...ata/hom-47a.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...pl/pdata_37.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/plants_data/pl...ac/ffragr_1.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...ata/hom-27a.htm

http://www.rspg.thaigov.net/homklindokmai/...ata/hom-19a.htm

Hi LingLing.

I'm not having any luck with those links.

Is it my PC ?

cheers

I'm an avid gardener/landscaper, and one of the perks of living in Thailand for me would be to have a tropical garden, but when I was over there I didn't see any plant shops. I'm sure there are some, but where? Is there an assortment of non-native/non-invasive species? What about rare plants?

Another question -- does a nice garden add equity to your home in Thailand like it does in the States and the UK?

d:ph34r: darling.. thre are plant shops everywhere

Hi

For a specimen plant Blue Palm (Bismarkia) takes a lot of beating

.post-24662-1148154927_thumb.jpg

TBWG :D

Beautiful pic ! any idea what is blue palm called in thai??? available easily in thailand? live in chiang mai and would go ask them at kamtiang market.

Hi Tigerbeer

I will have a word with boss lady and try and to get Thai name for Bismarkia, but seem to recall her saying that Thais also know them as blue palm.

Should think they are readily available in Chang Mai as the first one I really ever took any notice of was in Queen Mum's garden in Chang Rai.

The colours do vary, so don't buy first one you see hang on for that special specimen. :D

TBWG :o

Hi LingLing.

I'm not having any luck with those links.

Is it my PC ?

cheers

No, that server is probably down - I can't access it either at the moment. Will probably be up again next week when whoever's desk the server is under returns to work... :o

thanks u guys. thats on my next list to buy for sure. tanfa. what is the palm tree Sip Soong Panah known as in english??? i got some of those and just wanted to read more about it but cant find the species name. Another tree i would like to know about is U Kachang. anyone?

thanks u guys. thats on my next list to buy for sure. tanfa. what is the palm tree Sip Soong Panah known as in english??? i got some of those and just wanted to read more about it but cant find the species name. Another tree i would like to know about is U Kachang. anyone?

สิบสองปันนา (ปาล์ม) (Pigmy date palm) - Phoenix roebelenii

(from the same wikipedia list linked to b4)

Try the www.thaipalms.com encyclopaedia.

Download the photo/s and show them to the Thai nurseryman!

Whatever you do, don't order anything off the site, they refuse to answer emails. :o

It's run by a Pom...... go figure!

A beautiful palm :D

it is but what is it called in Thai???

ตาลฟ้า (Bismarck palm) - Bismarkia nobilis :o

got my bismarck palm today! quite an expensive palm. paid THB1100 for it (about 3-4ft tall). maybe buy another one in a couple of months. picked a nice colour : blueish green. the rest were a bit too green. there was also TanDang. looks very much like bismarck pal but reddish tone. same price. wonder if it would look as good as Tanfa.

Also got 4 TaBeg plant (jacaranda) any ideas how long this plant takes for flowers to bloom???

Hi Tiger, post a pic pls.

Let's see what you get for 1100B :o

funny u mentioned it cause i just took a pic of it this morning with my phone before i left home. only vga pic so not very clear. at the back of it to the left is Crytostachys renda (lipstick palm) which i also bought a couple months back for THB1000. potted. i really dont know where to pot the Bismarck cause its gotta have lots of space to be appreciated.

post-29436-1150080001_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

does the plant shop on Ekkamai (Big C) have those nice plumeria/franchipani trees? Im looking for a medium size one with lots of green leaves to put on my balcony :o

also, can you easily walk to that shop from the Ekkamai Skytrain station? thanks!

Hi Tiger, post a pic pls.

Let's see what you get for 1100B :D

funny u mentioned it cause i just took a pic of it this morning with my phone before i left home. only vga pic so not very clear. at the back of it to the left is Crytostachys renda (lipstick palm) which i also bought a couple months back for THB1000. potted. i really dont know where to pot the Bismarck cause its gotta have lots of space to be appreciated.

Hi Tiger

Really needs to be in open ground pot will only stunt it, not sure how large they can grow but have seen an example in Queen Mums garden in Chang Rai which must be 5-6 meters tall.

Also if you transplant it make sure crown is not to low otherwise it might rot.

post-24662-1159129207_thumb.jpg

Attached is a pic of one I planted about 2 years ago and is thriving used a lot of compost with peanut shells in it, rich in nitrogen but b****y peanut plants keep popping up!!! :o

TBWG :D

does the plant shop on Ekkamai (Big C) have those nice plumeria/franchipani trees? Im looking for a medium size one with lots of green leaves to put on my balcony :o

also, can you easily walk to that shop from the Ekkamai Skytrain station? thanks!

10 minutes walking. :D

thanks! this past weekend, I wandered around that area and walked for a bit into Soi 63 (Ekkamai?) but was too dense to find it....I'll try again later :D

does the plant shop on Ekkamai (Big C) have those nice plumeria/franchipani trees? Im looking for a medium size one with lots of green leaves to put on my balcony :D

thanks! this past weekend, I wandered around that area and walked for a bit into Soi 63 (Ekkamai?) but was too dense to find it....I'll try again later :D

Hi Trajan

When you do locate it can you post more specific directions. Intend to visit it in October and had assumed it was very near BTS. Save me a lot a aimless walking :o

Thanks. TBWG :D

does the plant shop on Ekkamai (Big C) have those nice plumeria/franchipani trees? Im looking for a medium size one with lots of green leaves to put on my balcony :D

Hi Trajan

When you do locate it can you post more specific directions. Intend to visit it in October and had assumed it was very near BTS. Save me a lot a aimless walking :o

Thanks. TBWG :D

sure will do :D but Im not sure I will make it back to that Soi in Oct as I will be traveling quite a bit.... but if I do, I'll post directions....

Trajan,

see page 1 of this topic.

It's a few yrs since I bought anything from the Ekamai mob.

I do recall someone saying the location is the same but the garden center is part of a new development on that corner.

Will have a look at the sat pics on google tonite. :o