Dusit Thani Discriminates Against Gays!

paulvingt

I just returned from the Dusit Thani hotel where I wanted to check out their offerings for Valentine's Day.

I was very impressed with the set menus and in particular the price as everything such as taxes and service charge are included.

I was, however, shocked to read at the bottom of your pamphlets: "rose and chocolate give away for ladies" at the il cielo; "a box of hearted shape cheese cake and rose for ladies" at Hamilton's; and "a box of macaroons and rose for ladies" at D'Sens.

I though to myself - what if my partner is not a "lady"? This means that my boyfriend isn't entitled to the special valentine gifts?

Apparently, a "couple" to the people at the Dusit Thani refers only to "heterosexual" couples. This is quite strange given the location of this five-star hotel.

I will have to let all my GAY friends know that the Dusit Thani is NOT a "gay-friendly hotel." I for one will not take my gay Valentine there - there are other hotels that welcome my "pink baht"!

Is it their policy to discriminate against gays? Im sure the gay community would love to be informed of this.

OP, next time, please ASK the business what their actual policy is before complaining, OK?

As we did.

Dear OP dont start crying before getting hurt.

People reading your tread have a reason to cry, keep us informed where you go so i can avoid that place as it sure will spoiled my evening.

Dusit Thani has always been gay friendly. The number of gay staff in that hotel is legendary :)

The Dusit D2 arm of the business is very gay friendly.

The OP should take along some photos of himself and his boyfriend 'in flagrante delicto' and show them to the maitre d' so that a judgment can be made as to which one of the couple qualifies for the ladies valentine gift.

When Thai airlines were a real airline they used to give each lady passenger an orchid. Later they start giving them to male passengers too if they asked. SOon they gave them to all passengers....a much nicer solution and appreciated by even a straight guy;.

I agree with the other posters. I really think you should talk to the hotel about it. They probably just weren't thinking about it when they put that on the brochure.

That's the whole point - they forgot to THINK!! If you print it, then you have to be held responsible for what you did or did not say. By assuming that a "couple" is composed of a man and a woman is a BIG faux pas! How dare they even write that the special gifts are for "ladies." This is 2010, not 1960. Gays have the same rights and privileges as straight couples, so such advertisement is a definite NO NO!

It just shows how unprofessional their PR team is! Maybe they need to hire people with brains!

I agree with the other posters. I really think you should talk to the hotel about it. They probably just weren't thinking about it when they put that on the brochure.

That's the whole point - they forgot to THINK!! If you print it, then you have to be held responsible for what you did or did not say. By assuming that a "couple" is composed of a man and a woman is a BIG faux pas! How dare they even write that the special gifts are for "ladies." This is 2010, not 1960. Gays have the same rights and privileges as straight couples, so such advertisement is a definite NO NO!

It just shows how unprofessional their PR team is! Maybe they need to hire people with brains!

Actually, I had the same problem with another hotel in Bangkok - nothing to do with being gay. They had a press release and said that there would be five differen types of lobster dishes. It sounded so yummy - so my boyfriend and I went to have dinner there. We were soooo disppointed and shocked to find that they only had ONE lobster dish. The manager had the audacity to tell me that they offer the other dishes on different nights, but not all at the same time. But in the press release they "forgot" to mention this point. Is this not fraud??? It's false advertisement, which is illegal in Thailand.

PV,

If you knew anything about Thailand, you would know that the hotel would most likely be perfectly delighted to offer you the same deal and to deliver the same items to your boyfriend- in fact, given the number of gay hospitality workers in hotels, they would probably be tinkled pink, so to speak.

You can't expect advertising in such a conservative country to be PC by Western standards; a small price to pay for the absence of homophobia here in nearly every other context.

Are you for real, or just trying to jerk us around :D (not that many of us wouldn't enjoy that immensely)?

Seriously, dude, your outrage somehow doesn't ring true :D .

I would bet you aren't even gay. How is that for politically correct? :)

Edited by Jingthing

Are you for real, or just trying to jerk us around (not that many of wouldn't like that immensely)?

Seriously, dude, your outrage somehow doesn't ring true.

I am definitely REAL - this is comletely unacceptable. Gays are not people who must always come in second place or hide who they are - Valentine's day is NOT only for straight people. That's why I almost had a heart attack when I saw their pamphlets!

Gays tend to spend more money on eating out etc., than straights since we don't have children and don't need to think twice about spending 10,000 baht on dinner, for instance.

Given the fact that the Dusit Thani wants to be an international hotel, then they must adhere to international standards and protocols. What is politically correct in the West must be strictly followed here as well - as paying customers I expect nothing less.

I think I'm doing them a favor - this is something they can correct very easily. Throw all those insulting pamphlets that they've made away and make new ones - but this time instead of "ladies," they should type "..gift per couple." I mean, what if we have a table with two women (lesbian couple), would they receive two sets of gifts since they're both "ladies"?

I haven't had the chance to go and check out the wording of ads from other hotels yet, but will be on the lookout!

That's why I almost had a heart attack when I saw their pamphlets!

Yeah, sure you did. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. Its flattering to have people act gay though, are we that fashionable? If you saw me, you would be screaming NO! GOD NO! (even without the Crocs).

Edited by Jingthing

Holding hands, making googoo eyes....are heteros not doing that in public, 24/7?

I don't mind seeing heteros doing that in public, but I really don't need to see heavy clothed petting on a baht bus either. As we are in a foreign country, the cultural norms about PDAs are worth considering. Or anywhere really. In some parts of the US holding hands same sex can still get you killed.

Since a few posters have forgotten that in the gay subforum not only are slurs against gays not allowed, but gays are not expected to have to defend their lifestyles and/or points of political view against the straight yob mob, I have deleted their posts and issued warnings without penalties. Further posts along these lines will result in LENGTHY posting holidays. Enjoy!

PROFESSIONAL VICTIM ALERT

Imagine if this bloke was left handed. Jeez, he'd be off at the BTS and MRT for making the ticket readers for right handers. They run a business, and if they ain't advertising the way you want them to, go elsewhere, as is your right. This is hardly apartheid era South Africa.

On second thought.

TROLL.