Irs Form 1040 Filing Status

my thai wife and i have an unregistered marriage and she is employed but i provide more than 80% of our living expenses. she is of course not an american citizen nor a resident alien. i am currently filing form 1040-A as "single". do i qualify to file as "head of household"? i read page 18 and 19 of the 1040 instructions but i am still not clear on it. any help appreciated.

halarpohala

i seconded that per your description and explanation, you met the test requirements.

but where did you learn to type like what you did....?

several on thaivisa regard those typing without cap and proper punctuation et cetera.... as noncomforming, antisocial, unschooled and rather uneducated.... lol

hope you'll be able to save a few thous this yr.

best regards

I am curious. Everyone I know that lives overseas, married, always claims their wife?

I do not claim her and ofcourse she is not a resident of the US. I find a great advantage to not claiming her and why does no one else see it my way?????? She does work and again not in the US. She works outside Thailand so she is tax free also.

Why would I ever put her on the radar of the IRS???

You made me break out my 1040A and look. My interpretation after reading page 18 and 19 is Yes if you meet Test 1 or 2 which I understand that you do.

Test 1 only applies to parents who lived or may not have lived in your home. You may be able to use Test 2 but better consult one of the many US tax consultants here in Thailand. As far as your wife, remember that the US and Thailand have a tax treaty signed by Clinton a number of years ago so that applies also in some cases. If you read the 1040 instructions, sometimes one section differs from another section so which one you use can make a difference.

Years ago, I filed as Head of Household having a Thai wife. Reading the instructions at the time, I was right. Got back to the states and got called in for an audit. The IRS said I owed $600 as I filed the wrong way. I refused and they had to call six IRS offices to find out how to do it. I was right but those in the IRS did not know how to do. By the way, it was the Macon, GA office who did not know.

But you can find the tax consultants here in Thailand. One is in Pattaya and one in Bangkok. Others not aware of. If you get more back by not claiming her, have at it. As long as she has no Social Security number, she does not have to file while here in Thailand even if she does work.