Beating The Battle Of The Bulge

joepenos

:o

on my last trip to pattaya i spent time looking for a good fitness center, universal on beach road is now on sukhimvit and the only other one that i saw was tony's, neither one seem to have much in the way of cardio equipment, one of tony's location has one bike and the other has three, when universal was on beach i noticed some bikes.

doe's anyone know of some other fitness centers that are well equiped with cardio equipment

thanks

joe p

on my last trip to pattaya i spent time looking for a good fitness center, universal on beach road is now on sukhimvit and the only other one that i saw was tony's, neither one seem to have much in the way of cardio equipment, one of tony's location has one bike and the other has three, when universal was on beach i noticed some bikes.

doe's anyone know of some other fitness centers that are well equiped with cardio equipment

thanks

joe p

also the cost of membership would be appreciated

The hotel on the corner of beach rd and soi 3- the one shaped like a ship not sure of its name- has a fully kitted out gym that seems to have a lot of equiptment- from what i have seen only walkin past of course it has a lot of falangs that use it.

personally i think liposuction is the easier way to lose weight lol or at least make room for more beer. :o

Don't gym's bore you? I've never been able to take to them for cardio work. When I go to Pattya I run along the beach, the view's nicer and its free. Gym's are for weights only, surely?

thanks

joe p

Funny, both Tony's I've been to have a reasonable number of bikes, stairmasters, elliptical machines, and electric treadmills. Maybe there are rowing machines but I ignore those.

Chevin in Day-Night Plaza is best value but has 2 bikes. 1 stairmaster, and 4 elliptical machines, some of which may be out of order.

For upscale, try either the Marriott (B500/day) or Fitness One (ship-shaped big hotel on Beach Road). Both definitely have a variety of aerobic machines.

Edited by JSixpack

Don't gym's bore you?

No, they don't. Lots of machines, weights, people to work out with, sometimes good scenery.

Try listening to an MP3 player w/ your favorite music while working out in the gym and see if it helps.

When I go to Pattya I run along the beach, the view's nicer and its free.

Bad idea. Running on a (slanted soft) beach helps mess up your back, knees, and hips. Running on concrete is particularly bad for your knees: it's much too hard. Asphalt, esp. when you add in the slant, isn't much better.

Gym's are for weights only, surely?

No, and the fact that they also have weights is very, very good.

Don't gym's bore you?

No, they don't. Lots of machines, weights, people to work out with, sometimes good scenery.

Try listening to an MP3 player w/ your favorite music while working out in the gym and see if it helps.

When I go to Pattya I run along the beach, the view's nicer and its free.

Bad idea. Running on a (slanted soft) beach helps mess up your back, knees, and hips. Running on concrete is particularly bad for your knees: it's much too hard. Asphalt, esp. when you add in the slant, isn't much better.

Gym's are for weights only, surely?

No, and the fact that they also have weights is very, very good.

Yes some fair points. I suppose it comes down to what you are used to. I've always prefered to exercise alone in the open, irrespective how hot it is. Running on the beach is actually okay if you run on the flat/flattest sand close to the sea as it is compact enough to stay where it is and won't cause you to lose your balance, which running on the dry slanted stuff will, and will, as you have already mentioned, mess your knees and back up. Unfortunately, this does mean you might get a bit wet, and can be tricky during high tides. Certainly wasn't the case last weekend, and if you saw someone running in a white shirt and shorts around 6pm, that was me.

Re: music. I can't enjoy it while I exercise and find myself inevitably thinking/mediatating over/about stuff (perhaps the only real joy of running & solitude). Again, if you are exercising outside it's better- especially in Thailand- to be able to hear what's going on around you, as you will be more relaxed and not concerned about motorbikes or cars creeping up behind you, which will definately happen if you run on the roads. I know people that have run 6 marathons and more and don't have a problem with running on concrete, but again I think this comes down to what you are used to, and also how heavy you are.

Gyms: people to work out with. Agreed. The one thing I miss about the gym I used to go was working out with mates. In terms of motivation, it's second to none.

Was going to go to one this year for some cardio work. They wanted about 4300 for three months. Instead I went to Big C, spent 59 on a proper skipping rope and do that in front of my fan after I've had a run, sometimes with the music on. Quality exercise at a fraction of the price.

Try tonys gym on the 3rd road..It has an entire room dedicated to cv.

Ive been there once and the equipment is A1 and it is well air conditioned,the only problem for me is all the lady boys and muscle mary's that get in there..

Theres another gym a little further up on the same side of the road.name:golden gym thats quite good or just across the road theres another called international gym both of which i use and can recommend also both are reasonably priced.

some good replies here, tony's doe's have some decent bikes but if you come at the wrong time, i can picture myself standing around just waiting, in the states i got somewhat spoiled at 24 hour fitness (fifteen to twenty great bikes) and even though i knew i wouldn't find the same thing in pattaya i was looking for something close. the hard rock would be nice but the 1800 bt would put a strain on this retiree's budget, tony's and universal have good prices but they seem so limited and thet're main focus seems to be weights which i have no interest in.

if there are any more suggestions please submit them as i take my exercise very serious and even though i have been coming to pattaya for ten years on two week vacations i have only found the above mentioned clubs as ones that i would join, thanks again. ( ladyboys in tony's gym ?)

joe

tony's doe's have some decent bikes but if you come at the wrong time, i can picture myself standing around just waiting

You poor thing. Let's see, what to do, it's so difficult.

1. Don't come in at the wrong time. Tony's is open early till 11 PM.

2. Tony's isn't normally crowded.

3. Don't stand around; use another aerobic machine, of which there are a sufficient number, until a bike becomes free, or lift weights, which you probably need to do.

4. Ride a real bicycle.

5. Get over your bike fetish.

6. Rather than just picture yourself, try it and see.

Seems you don't really have a problem at this point or need further info and are just wanting attention.

in the states i got somewhat spoiled at 24 hour fitness (fifteen to twenty great bikes) and even though i knew i wouldn't find the same thing in pattaya

But you see it's much more crowded at 24 hour fitness so they need more bikes. If they didn't, they wouldn't have them. You don't NEED the same thing in Pattaya. What's the point of just LOOKING at bikes that no one is using?

i take my exercise very serious

No you don't. All you take seriously is bikes.

( ladyboys in tony's gym ?)

All gyms everywhere have a variety of clientele and this is Pattaya. Get over it.

Good-bye.

Edited by JSixpack

you see, this is how internet fiction gets started - someone posts some rubbish and someone else believes it and reposts it later without checking. One bike? Puh-lease...

Today I went to Tony's gym and took a bit of paper and pen, and counted the machines:

at Tony's Spa:

9 treadmills

1 rower

3 crosstrainers

3 steppers

6 bikes

plus next door in the aerobics room there are 6 more brand new spinner bikes imported from Germany - very flash looking.

At Tony's Fitness and Muay Thai center [where "Mummies" used to be]:

5 treadmills

3 bikes [plus 2 that are waiting to be repaired...]

1 crosstrainer

2 steppers

you see, this is how internet fiction gets started - someone posts some rubbish and someone else believes it and reposts it later without checking. One bike? Puh-lease...

Today I went to Tony's gym and took a bit of paper and pen, and counted the machines:

at Tony's Spa:

9 treadmills

1 rower

3 crosstrainers

3 steppers

6 bikes

plus next door in the aerobics room there are 6 more brand new spinner bikes imported from Germany - very flash looking.

At Tony's Fitness and Muay Thai center [where "Mummies" used to be]:

5 treadmills

3 bikes [plus 2 that are waiting to be repaired...]

1 crosstrainer

2 steppers

Excellent post! Actual precious FACTS! Thank you.

I think the OP had wandered into Tony's Disco a couple of times and maybe saw somebody's bike parked there. :o

thank you merlin the magician and to you cheap six pack, i guess i have another thing to be thankful for every morning, and that is that my life has more meaning than to put down others on websites

you shouldn't feel bad as just about every website i have come across has a couple of clowns like yourselfs, had i gone into detail on my request for information i would have mentioned that i have a back condition that allows me to use only a particular type of bike and when i gave those numbers out i was referring to the bike that i could use not bikes in general, my request was in general because i didn't want to bore anybody with details, anyway thanks for your worthless time and information, you can now go back to polishing your pennies or what ever you do to make life interesting

joe p

i have a back condition that allows me to use only a particular type of bike

If this is true, then it's an absolutely critical piece of information; by omitting it and talking in general about "cardio equipment" you wasted people's time and created confusion, so you deserved what you got. Nobody's gonna run around the gyms of Pattaya looking for a "particular type" of bike. Better just bring your own to be sure. Me, I thought they mostly just have a seat and a couple of pedals.

Actually some useful info did come out in this thread. :o

Edited by JSixpack

I will be coming on holiday in June and want cardio and weights. Do you recommend Tony's or Universe. I also like to play tennis....does Tony's have tennis courts as well? I am staying in Jomtien and was wondering how I get to either Tony's or Universe by baht bus?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

thank you merlin the magician and to you cheap six pack, i guess i have another thing to be thankful for every morning, and that is that my life has more meaning than to put down others on websites

you shouldn't feel bad as just about every website i have come across has a couple of clowns like yourselfs, had i gone into detail on my request for information i would have mentioned that i have a back condition that allows me to use only a particular type of bike and when i gave those numbers out i was referring to the bike that i could use not bikes in general, my request was in general because i didn't want to bore anybody with details, anyway thanks for your worthless time and information, you can now go back to polishing your pennies or what ever you do to make life interesting

joe p

come off it mate, get a grip.

I didn't put you down, I just posted plain facts - in response to your wrong statement in the original post.

one of tony's location has one bike and the other has three

you never said anything about any "particular type" of bike or any back condition.

Who are you calling "clown" or "cheap"? Just trying to annoy people, are you?

And then you call my time and information "worthless" - at least I posted FACTS.

What does that make your post worth?

Phfffft.

This, from a sad git who has a "back condition" - oh wait: your life has "more meaning". . .

plonker.

I will be coming on holiday in June and want cardio and weights. Do you recommend Tony's or Universe. I also like to play tennis....does Tony's have tennis courts as well?  I am staying in Jomtien and was wondering how I get to either Tony's  or Universe by baht bus?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

I've never been to Universe so I'll leave that to others.

Tony's has a tennis court, and also has trainers and knockers to play against.

I will be coming on holiday in June and want cardio and weights. Do you recommend Tony's or Universe. I also like to play tennis....does Tony's have tennis courts as well?  I am staying in Jomtien and was wondering how I get to either Tony's  or Universe by baht bus?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

I haven't been to Universe since it moved out to Sukhumvit and don't even know exactly where it is. Be interesting if somebody would review it for us. It did have both cardio and weights.

Tony's, as Merlin said, has got tennis courts. He means the one on 3rd Rd a block south of the South Pattaya Rd.-3rd Rd. intersection. So you'd change baht buses from Jomtien at S. Pattaya Road and catch another one to the intersection.

You're probably aware that there's a small gym in the shopping/beer bar plaza in Jomtien at the start of Jomtien Beach Rd., right? Not sure whether it's large enough to have any cardio. Maybe somebody can tell us.

Edited by JSixpack

You're probably aware that there's a small gym in the shopping/beer bar plaza in Jomtien at the start of Jomtien Beach Rd., right? Not sure whether it's large enough to have any cardio. Maybe somebody can tell us.

Name of this gym is hard boyz i think...

suits you sixpack,im sure theres no shortage of kaoteys in this one...

Ltlt...

Ltlt...

Katoeys are accepted by Thais and are a part of the scene. Me, I know how to defend myself. You, now, had probably better bring your girlfriend to protect you. Otherwise you not only can't go to various gyms, but you can't go to banks, Bangkok-Pattaya Hsp, Big C, Lotus, ComCity, etc. :o

Tony's Gym has reasonable membership rates (around 1,250 if I remember correctly). I have been using the gym for about three weeks now and have found it adequate. I have never seen a ladyboy here and the muscle men pretty much go about their business, don't linger on the machines, and don't bother the wimps like myself. But when I workout, I really am not focused on those around me.

I have never seen a ladyboy here

Me neither actually. It would seem that ladyboys would be more interested in de-emphasizing any muscularity. Maybe lovethailandlongtime doesn't understand that real women (even some Thai women :D ) also use gyms and mistook them.

I think lovethailandlongtime is also worried about gays, though.

But when I workout, I really am not focused on those around me.

We think alike. Just wanna do the exercises in good form and get outta there. Nobody comes to Pattaya to enjoy the gyms heh. :o

The Tony's (the Muay Thai academy) on 3rd Road between S. Pattaya Rd. and Pattaya Klang lacks swimming pool, tennis court, and aerobics room so it is cheaper than the other one.

Edited by JSixpack

Ltlt...

Happened to go to Jomtien last night to hear some rock 'n' roll at We're No. 1 Go-Go and so I rode by that gym, which was closed at that hour.

The name is actually Hardbody, not hard boyz. Possibly a Freudian slip on the part of lovethailandlongtime.

Edited by JSixpack

what you meant to say was:

'i went all the way to jomtien,hoping to find a gym(hardboyz)full of like minded males. i found no such place.lovethailandlongtime make me very angry'

calm down six pack,why get so emotional over this silly little matter??

No, I said what exactly what I meant to say, as I always do.

I know how desperately you wish I were emotional about your trolling, which would affirm your importance in your own eyes, but no, my laughing at your immaturity isn't in the least emotional. Pattaya is just so full of idiots, Thai and farang, that one couldn't possibly live here if one found them upsetting. :o

what you meant to say was:

'i went all the way to jomtien,hoping to find a gym(hardboyz)full of like minded males. i found no such place.lovethailandlongtime make me very angry'

calm down six pack,why get so emotional over this silly little matter??

No, I said what exactly what I meant to say, as I always do.

I know how desperately you wish I were emotional about your trolling, which would affirm your importance in your own eyes, but no, my laughing at your immaturity isn't in the least emotional. Pattaya is just so full of idiots, Thai and farang, that one couldn't possibly live here if one found them upsetting. :o

wow guys......we are just looking for a place to work out.....didn't know it would get personal! BTW ...does anybody know exactly where the Tony's gym is, the one that has tennis and fitness....I will be coming there from Jomtien.

BTW ...does anybody know exactly where the Tony's gym is, the one that has tennis and fitness....I will be coming there from Jomtien.

How many times do we have to answer that question?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

I haven't been to Universe since it moved out to Sukhumvit and don't even know exactly where it is. Be interesting if somebody would review it for us. It did have both cardio and weights.

Tony's, as Merlin said, has got tennis courts. He means the one on 3rd Rd a block south of the South Pattaya Rd.-3rd Rd. intersection. So you'd change baht buses from Jomtien at S. Pattaya Road and catch another one to the intersection.