Thai Language Schools

Colabamumbai

I recently went to a Thai Language school as some of you know following this forum. I was give a map with directions to another location. On the reverse side of this map is the front page of an Americans passport.

So they are recycling copies of our passports, putting them in a copy machine to use the other side for a map. Who should I advise about this besides the owner of the passport? I am afraid that they will do the same with mine. How much do they save by not using a new blank piece of photocopy paper? Looking forward to the replies.

Well - US$69 mean as much to me as 69 baht may mean to a Thai - yet I also "recycle" my copypaper "religiously".

I think this incidence has more to do with poor judgement of an individual rather than the general attitude of the School.

That is indeed not good. I would not like copy of my passport to be given to others. I will remind our staff to make sure it is not happening at Walen.

Walen School - Phuket coming soon!

www.thaiwalen.com

Hopefully so, Walen, because I still see it in one of the classroom's 'rough paper'. On one side was a passport copy, the other side was some scribblings supposedly to explain the lesson. But I suppose it is considered 'alright for Thai standards' if it is not circulated outside the classroom or allowed to be brought outside... Thank you

That is indeed not good. I would not like copy of my passport to be given to others. I will remind our staff to make sure it is not happening at Walen.

Walen School - Phuket coming soon!

www.thaiwalen.com

Hopefully so, Walen, because I still see it in one of the classroom's 'rough paper'. On one side was a passport copy, the other side was some scribblings supposedly to explain the lesson. But I suppose it is considered 'alright for Thai standards' if it is not circulated outside the classroom or allowed to be brought outside... Thank you

Well unfortunately the individual whose copy I received came to the school and threatened me. He also told me that he had complained to the American Embassy about me. He lost face not me. If this was anywhere else I would have him charged.

In principle - I would think - you should NEVER give anyone a copy of your passport unless there is a specific "official" need for it. A school - any school - just asking for it is not a qualified "official need". If this is in relation to getting an Educational Visa - then this passport copy should be with the Visa applications paper.

However, I do realize some schools just may ask for it - without needing it - then you are at fault for giving it.

Edited by Parvis

Last week Immigration in Jomtien were handing out forms with copies of passports on the back side. I guess nobody in Thailand really understand the concept of identity theft. Yet. :)

Yes and I made a post regarding the fellows name and country of his passport thinking I was doing him a favor telling him on this forum that I had a copy of his information. He came to the school and threatened me and also told me that he had reported me to the U.S. Embassy. live and learn eh. He is the loser he lost face.

Well - US$69 mean as much to me as 69 baht may mean to a Thai - yet I also "recycle" my copypaper "religiously".

I think this incidence has more to do with poor judgement of an individual rather than the general attitude of the School.

i recycle religiously too. its not able the money but more saving the earth. though i agree this incident is a boo-boo