Expats Still Living In Los

surg

With the repressive and opressive government here to stay; why do you stay?

I have been living here for 7 months now and am bored to death.

This is not the Thailand I remember from the past.

I am a night person who likes to party. But, with the drug laws and early closing times, it's just not fun anymore.

I would be interested in hearing from similar type people.

Farangs who are married or working here obviously have a good reason.

I for one am glad that Thailand is cracking down, There are too many people here who don't contribute anything apart from drugs and problems.

Here's to the end of these idiots. :o

I would of agreed with you Surg regarding closing times but not with the drugs crackdown.

You say everything is the same and bars close earlier. So does 1 hour earlier closing mean it's all over, that is the only difference really? Don't think that is going to change the mind of an expat who has been living here for years. If you get bored in Thailand then you don't know how to live. Get on a motorcycle take a ride, hire a jet ski for an hour, jump off Pattaya tower on the flying fox, go to Krabi and climb the hill at Tiger cave, sip tea at the tea houses in Doi Mae Salong etc etc maybe even have a few beers and fall in love with a darkling. Up to you but I fail to see how you can get bored. :o

I am a night person who likes to party.  But, with the drug laws and early closing times, it's just not fun anymore.

I would be interested in hearing from similar type people.

Farangs who are married or working here obviously have a good reason.

I think people who are into drugs are some of the most selfish people in this world. they are a dangerous group who care only of the addictive pleasures they get from using drugs. they don't care about the people around them who suffer from drug addiction. they really don't care about their friends either.

history is full of examples of countries being destroyed by relaxed drug laws, and yet these people still push for the right to use drugs.

I had this ex-friend who knew full well the penalties of possessing drugs here in thailand, and yet he put my life at peril by carrying it with him whereever we went. one time, he was stopped by the police, and thank god they didn't find the drugs he had on him. otherwise, I would be in jail now. ..I only knew of the drugs he had on him when later, he bragged of how he got away with it. this ex-friend is one sick person. as are all people who use drugs deemed illegal in the countries they are in.

don't like what I have to say? well, you did ask.

You say everything is the same and bars close earlier. So does 1 hour earlier closing mean it's all over, that is the only difference really? Don't think that is going to change the mind of an expat who has been living here for years. If you get bored in Thailand then you don't know how to live. Get on a motorcycle take a ride, hire a jet ski for an hour, jump off Pattaya tower on the flying fox, go to Krabi and climb the hill at Tiger cave, sip tea at the tea houses in Doi Mae Salong etc etc maybe even have a few beers and fall in love with a darkling. Up to you but I fail to see how you can get bored. :o

Thanks for your reply. Many people have told me the same thing. But I did not come to Thailand to do those things. However, I did fall in love with a darkling and it was a disaster.

Also, I did not say that things were the same. I said they were NOT the same.

You say everything is the same and bars close earlier. So does 1 hour earlier closing mean it's all over, that is the only difference really? Don't think that is going to change the mind of an expat who has been living here for years. If you get bored in Thailand then you don't know how to live. Get on a motorcycle take a ride, hire a jet ski for an hour, jump off Pattaya tower on the flying fox, go to Krabi and climb the hill at Tiger cave, sip tea at the tea houses in Doi Mae Salong etc etc maybe even have a few beers and fall in love with a darkling. Up to you but I fail to see how you can get bored. :D

Thanks for your reply. Many people have told me the same thing. But I did not come to Thailand to do those things. However, I did fall in love with a darkling and it was a disaster.

Sounds like you are bitter... :D Why don't you go back home, maybe Thailand isn't for you... :o

totster :D

I am a night person who likes to party. But, with the drug laws and early closing times, it's just not fun anymore.

Oh no please don't go I am begging you, we need tossers like you even it is just to make people like me look good.

Let us know when you need a lift to the airport I am sure there will be no shotage of temporary taxi drivers.

Good riddance.

You say you've been living here 7 months.......what were you doing before, holidaying?

As Totster pointed out living in Thailand isnt for everyone, what may of been special when you holiday here becomes mundane when you live here,hence your boredom.

Above said i would rather be here than anywhere else..........4 weeks a year back in the UK is enough for me.

Even when I used to come here and was in full vacation mode I rarely lasted past midnight so the early closing had little affect on me. I have never been interested in drugs and am happy the government is making it tough on people who think drugs are acceptable. It certainly isn't perfect here but it beats anywhere else I have ever been. I think I'll stay.

Above  said  i  would  rather  be  here  than  anywhere  else..........4  weeks  a  year  back  in  the  UK  is  enough  for  me.

4 weeks a year? I went back to UK last September for 2 weeks, the first time in over 5 years. It was 12 days too long.

:o

I am a night person who likes to party.  But, with the drug laws and early closing times, it's just not fun anymore.

Appears like government is on the right track and all the work and activities start to bear fruits.

Congrats TRT and well, keep going.

To answer the initial question: I love to stay more than ever BECAUSE of the sweep :o

Cheers,

Richard

Appears like government is on the right track and all the work and activities start to bear fruits.

Is this a case of trolling?

You must be either joking or ignorant(of what the government is doing to the country)or both.

I for one am glad that Thailand is cracking down, There are too many people here who don't contribute anything apart from drugs and problems.

Here's to the end of these idiots. 

Are you agreeing with the recent crackdown on drugs?

It seems that most who come here fail to become the happier person they'd hoped for. A few return home before they become too scarred. Others stick around and just spiral down into the pits...

The rest live their lives here and are content :o

Is this a case of trolling?

You must be either joking or ignorant(of what the government is doing to the country)or both.

Nope, it ain't called trolling but rather democracy and I just reflected my own personal opinion and I sincerely regret that it made you puke. Maybe I should fill it in bottles get approval by Thai FDA and sell is as medication :D

Trolls tend to hide and don't use their real names when posting their BS. My name is indeed Richard Hall and I am happily living on Rama 3 in Bangkok. Guess I belong to that crowd Ajarn referred to "as rest" in his post.

Prove enough that we are not talking trolling here? :D

Anyway, you surely have the right to call me a "joker" and/or being ignorant because this is your personal opinion which necessarily must not be better or worse than mine.

If it comes to Thailand, however, I personally consider myself not being ignorant and can prove it any time. Witnesses can be provided if necessary. :D

Maybe you want to get back to the subject now and answer the question why you are still living in Thailand. I have already done so while you are still owing an answer.

Cheers,

Richard :D

Edited by Richard Hall

Can't understand why it's not possible to party all night in Thailand. Have often been clubbing until 3am and if you've not found company by then to continue the partying at home then you are not trying. Perhaps you are just not in the mood currently having joined the ranks of the "hurt by a thai lady". :o

Get over the "monkey bum" and enjoy! :D

You say everything is the same and bars close earlier. So does 1 hour earlier closing mean it's all over, that is the only difference really? Don't think that is going to change the mind of an expat who has been living here for years. If you get bored in Thailand then you don't know how to live. Get on a motorcycle take a ride, hire a jet ski for an hour, jump off Pattaya tower on the flying fox, go to Krabi and climb the hill at Tiger cave, sip tea at the tea houses in Doi Mae Salong etc etc maybe even have a few beers and fall in love with a darkling. Up to you but I fail to see how you can get bored. :D

Sounds like you are bitter... :D Why don't you go back home, maybe Thailand isn't for you... :o

Thank you Toster. It appears that Thailand is not for me. I understand that this happens to about half the people who relocate to Thailand.

I have a ticket for May 29th.

I have a ticket for May 29th

OP, what were you expecting of life in LoS?

One dud girl/romance doesn't make life in LoS a failure!

I figure you must be over 50 with a type O, correct?

Good luck if you go. :o

I have a ticket for May 29th

OP, what were you expecting of life in LoS?

One dud girl/romance doesn't make life in LoS a failure!

I figure you must be over 50 with a type O, correct?

Good luck if you go. :o

Right...all the more room for the rest of us round-eyes who appreciate the place! :D

Edited by Boon Mee

I don't know where you get the "half" from. I was personally responsible for getting three guys over here permanently. Two of them are now married with kids and the third one is still like a kid in a candy store. :D The two who are now married refuse to go back for even a visit and have been here since 1991.

I have many ex-pat friends and have seen VERY few go back to their home country. The ones who have gone have gone because of money problems. I'll even make a prediction. You will be back and after a few weeks back home you will wonder why you ever left Thailand. :D

Thank you Toster. It appears that Thailand is not for me. I understand that this happens to about half the people who relocate to Thailand.

I have a ticket for May 29th.

Maybe you want to get back to the subject now and answer the question why you are still living in Thailand. I have already done so while you are still owing an answer.
Thanks for stating that you are not trolling. You have , of course, a right to your opinion. You like TRT, fair enough, I don't. I have never met an expat that agrees with their policies, that is why I thought you were trolling. NO offense meant.

I used to like the partying and late nights, but after a few years I got burnt out. I am speaking excessive abuse here. I couldn't care about the licensing laws, closing times now. If I wanted to drink(or do drugs) I know where I could do so 24 hours a day in Bangkok, or elsewhere.

Why not just go out drinking earlier?

Why do I stay here? Family is not an issue, as they would be just as happy, if not happier abroad. I still love this country and I am perfectly happy most of the time. When I am not happy, I think to myself how unhappy I would be if I were elsewhere and soon change my mood.

There are of course a few negatives, but the positives outweigh them every time. I can see myself spending the rest of my days here.

One negative today, it is too hot. I can live with that.

One positive, there is a lovely swimming pool nearby that I am off to now with my daughter, after we finish off about 7 mangoes.

Well, we all know what "dakling" is in Thai, right?

A Monkey's ass!

HA ha.

Thank you Toster.  It appears that Thailand is not for me.  I understand that this happens to about half the people who relocate to Thailand.

I would go along with that estimate and that is why this forum needs someone like you around so that when we get yet another "wanna live in LOS" he gets a balanced set of replies.

Good luck with your next venue

I have to say that the crackdown has certainly worked better here than what they do in my country (USA). Because of the bleeding heart liberals the police are afraid to go into certain parts of the cities after dark. I don't know of any place here in Thailand where the police are afraid to go. On that basis I have to think they are doing a good job. I'm sure innocent people have been killed BUT many more innocent people have been killed in the USA by the dopers. :o

Absolutley :D

I'm goona start by pointing out the guy who stands near my bar trying to sell cocaine :o